Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-03-2016, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #1

Heyo, newbie here!

I kept running into pentaxforums.com threads while researching, so I figured I'd sign up.

Just a lowly Canon shooter, but for some reason I've started collecting Super-Takumars, so what better place to be?

So far, I've found a pretty grungy, standard 55mm f/2, a pristine 35mm f/2 with case, square hood, with the hood case, and a 135mm f/2.5 in terrific condition. I'm scouring about for proper caps and cases for all of them, just for fun and the sake of completeness. Also have a Spotmatic SPII in ok condition and excellent working order, so I ordered some film and a battery, just to see what happens.

I'm hoping to score a Super-Multi-Coated 400mm f/5.6 w/case, a Super-Tak 105mm f/2.8 with case, and a Super-Tak 300mm f/4 with case soonish.

And of course, always looking for the elusive 8-element 50mm f/1.4 that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I'm on the fence though about the 55mm f/1.8. Just not feeling it's terribly necessary for my happiness...I could be wrong.

I do have a bunch of chipped adapters so I can use these with my Canon bodies, but they are definitely fun to collect for their own sake, and I'm pretty keen to try them with the SPII.

(oh also, I have a grungy af Helios 58mm f/2, and a Spiratone Plura-Coat 20mm f/3.5 that I nicked for eight bucks; I just have fun taking it apart, hahaha)

Cheers!

11-03-2016, 02:46 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. It is a good place for all things Pentax and general photography too. Post some pics taken with those Pentax lenses (not that we have anything against pics taken with Canon lenses - it's just that we can't use them on Pentax K-mount!).
11-03-2016, 03:34 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums - glad you could join us!

Ah, you've been bitten by the Super-Takumar bug... you're in good company; many here are so afflicted

Looking forward to seeing some of your pics with those lovely lenses
11-03-2016, 06:32 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that you find here.

11-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by brainchasm Quote
so I ordered some film and a battery, just to see what happens.
The best fun you can have with a Spottie is to chuck the battery and go with Sunny 16, a light meter (David Quiles' cellphone-based Light Meter app works well enough, even the free version), your DSLR, or eventually even experience and intuition as your guide. The best thing about the SP-II is that it has a built-in flash hotshoe; the worst thing is that you still need to stop the lens down to get a reading with the internal meter. OTOH at least if the battery or meter fails, you can still rock on.

I'm on the fence though about the 55mm f/1.8. Just not feeling it's terribly necessary for my happiness...
AFAIK the 55/1.8 and 55/2.0 are said to be the same optical design with different maximum apertures; I certainly have no desire to go chasing the 1.8 when I have found the 2.0's results quite pleasing.

I'm pretty keen to try them with the SPII.
Unless your Canon dSLR is full-frame, be prepared for a significant change in perspective!
11-03-2016, 11:34 PM   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard. Good to have you here.
« Hello | hi all »