Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Ottawa

Hi! I've been reading these forums for the past few days, after picking up my K110D and I have to say I've learned quite a bit - tonnes of great info here!

I've been a shutterbug since my childhood in Cuba, where I had an early 70's Chaika II (still have it ). Gave up photography for a long time after I came to Canada, and then picked it up again a few years ago, with cheap digital P & S cameras. I had been wanting a DSLR for a long time, but as a college student could not afford it, and after I graduated my first priority was to save up enough money to visit family in Cuba, whom I hadn't seen in almost a decade! (Just got back from that trip last month). The fact that I've been bitten by the guitar bug this summer also seemed to assure a longer wait before owning a DSLR....

...well, a couple of nights ago I was browing the Futureshop website, and saw that they had the Pentax K110D with 18-55mm kit lens at $579 (regular price $699 CAD). I had never heard of this camera before, but after some research it seemed like a steal for the price. Great reviews, backwards compatibility with a lot of older lenses which can be found cheap second hand, ability to use AA batteries, and SD memory cards which I have from my old cameras. The fact that the 110 doesn't have an image stabilization mechanism is fine by me - I have a tripod.

So I decided, what the hell, my credit card has not had a workout in a while. Stopped by the store on my way to work, and noticed they had an open box unit.In the end I walked away with it for $499 .

I love the freedom this camera gives me compared to anything I've used before. Unfortunately I haven't been able to give it much of a workout yet (Busy with work, plus it's COLD out), but this weekend things should warm up a bit, and I plan on taking it and the tripod Saturday or Sunday night to Winterlude to capture some ice sculptures.

For now, here's a little piece of Cuba I brought back to warm my appartment:

02-15-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to Pentax and the forums! I am surprised that the price of the K110D came down that low and now I'm thinking if I should get a second body
02-15-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum, you are going to really enjoy your K110D. Love the picture and the subject looks pretty good too!
02-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Welcome to Pentax and the forums! I am surprised that the price of the K110D came down that low and now I'm thinking if I should get a second body
Thanks . Now as a bit of an update, I did end up rushing to the store this morning and dishing out an extra $80 to get a brand new camera in exchange for the open box unit - I was trying some long exposure night shots, and after uploading them I noticed what seemed to be dirt on the sensor. A test shot against a white piece of paper, and visual inspection of the sensor confirmed this.

Now I'm normally a "do it yourself" kind of guy, but I definitely did not feel comfortable trying to clean it myself, and if I'm going to pay for the camera to be serviced this early on - I may as well get a new one. Plus, the open box unit was missing the lens hood.

(and I say I rushed to the store because it showed the stock for all it's locations at 14 units - the clerk had to dig, but thankfully he found one )

02-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sounds like you made a good decision, $80 is worth the piece of mind in my opinion. I'm always a little wary of the open box items, but I have been known to buy them and get some pretty good bargains.
02-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum! Always good to see a neighbour join. If possible, try to get some winterlude shots this weekend & post.
02-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great weather for the Winterlude this year. I was beginning to get a little worried around Christmas. Please get some pictures of the world's largest skating rink
02-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
Welcome to the forum! Always good to see a neighbour join. If possible, try to get some winterlude shots this weekend & post.
Will try! I'll see if I can get both day and night shots, but the ice sculptures IMHO look much better at night, with the coloured lights. I'm browsing here and elsewhere to find what I need to know about shooting in the snow or at night .

Now let's hope the weekend is a bit warmer than it is now - that camera exchange was a painful ordeal, -30 celcius with windchill!

QuoteQuote:
Sounds like you made a good decision, $80 is worth the piece of mind in my opinion. I'm always a little wary of the open box items, but I have been known to buy them and get some pretty good bargains.
Especially true now that looking at everything included with the new camera, I realized the previous one had been missing the warranty papers!

Last edited by TheCubanSpy; 02-15-2007 at 11:45 AM.
02-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Welcome aboard, another canuck in this expanding membership.

Cheers,

Rene R