Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #1

Hello From Glasgow

Hello my name is John, I recently picked up a Pentax K3 which was a month old but was too heavy for the previous owner, it comes with the 18-55 lense and a Sigma 50mm lense as well.

I bought my first SLR (Sony Alpha 290) in 2009, until only recently I have been point and shoot in auto, but now I am trying to use manual more and more. I am a keen motorcyclist and love the road racing having been lucky to attend is Isle of Man last June for the TT and also the Ulster GP, I luckily did get a few decent images on sports mode with the Sony but 3 shots/second limited it. I love scenery pictures and sunsets but have recently joined a local Camera Club, which has been brilliant as every week I learn something new. I have also been up to Knockhill at trackdays and also East Fortune at the Scottish Championship practicing.

So all in all i'd say at the moment I am on a mission with the Racing, love the fact you can get real close to the action.

I havent taken many pictures with my K3, am looking to purchase a Tamron 70-200 F2.8 lense.

Since owning the Sony I have always generally had a camera with me whether it was a holiday or a trip, but now am really trying to use manual most of the time.

Cheers John

11-07-2016, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum
11-07-2016, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

There's Cartlands in my family and my Gradmothers family were Bailey's from Glasgow, a very long time ago (Late 1700s) who lived in Maine until 1900, but still had a 17th century Glasgow accent. She called me Nawman, not Norman.
11-07-2016, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, we look forward to some of your images!

11-07-2016, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe_bloggs Quote
Hello From Glasgow
Hi John from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums. The K-3 is a great camera. Well done. Any help or advice you may need is only a question from you away. Good to have you here.
11-07-2016, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. Always good to see a fellow Scot on here.
11-08-2016, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, I think with you, that makes eight of us Scots here now, doesn't quite constitute a "Tartan Army", but it's a work in progress.
11-08-2016, 05:09 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello John, and welcome to the forums from another K-3 owner.

The Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is a well-respected lens. Can I suggest that you also consider the Pentax DA*60-250 f/4? Although it's a stop slower wide open, it is very sharp from the outset. It's also designated "AW" (all weather), which comes in very handy here in the British Isles! With Black Friday coming up, there may be some good deals to be had... I think I paid about 850 for mine...

11-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies and welcomes.

Mike I will start researching the Pentax Lense you mentioned, as you say there are always deals to be had at some point.

Cheers John