Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Complete Novice on all things Pentax

Hello everyone,I'm a complete novice to photography and I got my first Pentax SFX camera tonight,When I downloaded the manual for this camera,it seemed very complex,(as yet I'm waiting on a battery,to operate the camera).Im 61 years old,and,I really love B/W photos,As I said,I bought second-hand,SFX camera,with a Pentax 35-70 Macro Lens,a dedicated FG30D Flashgun,and,a M42 Pentacon4/200 lens(what adapter would I need ,to attach this to my Pentax Camera?) I paid 20£ for the lot,I'll not know till I get a battery,if camera works ok.Is there any good links ,that,will show you how to work this camera,there is not much on YouTube,all help would be appreciated,What film would you recommend I should buy,color and B/W?I would like to photograph my grandkids,some Macro etc,

Yours Kindly Paul

11-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can find the manual for the SFX here: Pentax Manuals

The password to open the file is 'Pentax' (without the quotes), once it is open you should be able to save it to your hard drive for future reference.

EDIT: OOOPS! I just saw that you already had the manual, I initially read it as you needed a manual! DOH!

Hopefully someone familiar with the camera will be along soon to help.

Last edited by Tako Kichi; 11-23-2016 at 06:23 PM.
11-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Paul from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Many members here still " film " it, so hopefully the answers you seek will not be far away. There is a forum dedicated to film issues. Good luck, and good to have you aboard.
11-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Paul, welcome to the pentax gang...! I'm not sure there is group of fellows that are familiar with the camera you just bought. It looks like you live in the UK(...?...) so I suggest you contact the Pentax Users group here : https://www.pentaxuser.com
Get back to us if you have more specific questions. You have a Pentax camera and we will look after you...

Good luck

11-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Paul, and welcome to Pentax Forums.

If you look around the Forums, you'll find there's a whole section devoted to film and film cameras, here. One from 12 months or so ago, leapt out at me, as it was also from a new-to-SFX user, here.

The SFX is one Pentax I've never had, so I can't help you personally, but if you read through the thread, you'll find there are a few Members who can.
11-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Paul, There is an adapter for the 42m screw mount to K mount. The original Pentax version is unbelievably expensive, but cheap Chinese versions are available on eBay. They are prone to jamb, and most users remove the locking spring on them for that reason. As far as you camera is concerned, I am only familiar with the model that came after it (Z20). It uses a 2CR5 lithium battery. These are expensive. My own preference is for a fully manual Pentax for the least trouble; have you considered that option?
11-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an SF-1 in my camera locker. Fine camera, but out here in the middle of nowhere getting film worked on involves a long drive. I went digital with a small legacy from my father in 2007 with a K10D. What I found is (as mentioned in another post) that a camera is a camera is a camera. I used to shoot Kodachrome 10, 25 and later 100, and a roll or two of 200. I fell in love with Velvia 50 later. I have roughly 1 m cubed of negatives and slides.

I think the SF-1 actually is an SF-X, but I'm unsure.

11-24-2016, 01:01 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, hope all goes well once you get it fired up, enjoy.
11-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, Paul, and welcome to the forums. Great to have you with us

I can't offer any help or advice with the SFX, but I think you'll get all the help you need here