Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2016, 12:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Hi Everyone ... nice to be here :)

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jenna and I run Jenna Ann Photography. Been doing this for about 5/6 years as a business, but last three or so years have picked up. I've been a devoted Canon user for YEARS and Canon has FAILED me miserably, not just with one camera but SO many cameras. So a friend of mine who is a devoted Pentax user suggested Pentax. I tried his out and was immediately sold. Three weeks or so later, I bought my first Pentax and am about to sell all my Canon gear. I ended up getting the Pentax K5 as I wasn't sure how I would like it so wasn't quite ready to dive into anything else. I'm REALLY sort of dying at the specs on the K1 right now. However, will need to save for it as I've got lenses to purchase and all new gear. My friend let me borrow his 50mm 1.8 Pentax lens, which I'm used to working with a 50mm 1.8 anyway, so it's doing great. Just AMAZED at the quality of not only the camera but even the lens. Hoping to maybe purchase some older lenses, mostly prime, for business. I know an 85 or 90 is a great prime and I'm not if Pentax has a 100 but I think they do have a 135 prime. Any suggestions on older lens that AUTO focus? I shoot a LOT of families and running children so manual focus is NOT an option at all for me, sadly. So nice to be here. I've heard a lot about this group and how great you all are and I'm excited to be the new proud owner of a Pentax and tell Canon "bye bye"

I can upload a few photos I've taken indoors since I've gotten this camera. It's been raining so I haven't had a chance to really shoot outside much or on an actual person Plus it's mostly been in dark situations and at night time as well. Tonight I even shot through the store front windows downtown of Christmas decorations

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-05-2016, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Jenna and welcome to the forums - great to have you with us, and thanks for the detailed intro... It's always nice to learn a bit about our new members

Sorry to hear about your problems with Canon. Honestly, it can happen with any brand - Pentax included, unfortunately... but, overall, Pentax cameras and lenses are very good indeed and I think you'll be more than happy with your switch. The K-5 is a great place to start (I still have mine and shoot with it regularly, despite moving to the K-3 & K-3II as my main cameras).

Lens-wise, why not post a question in our Pentax SLR Lens Discussion forum. You'll get plenty of advice on lenses in the focal lengths you're interested in. And check out the Pentax Lens Reviews and Third-party Lens Reviews areas too - lots of good info there!

Enjoy
12-05-2016, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello Jenna and welcome to the forums - great to have you with us, and thanks for the detailed intro... It's always nice to learn a bit about our new members

Sorry to hear about your problems with Canon. Honestly, it can happen with any brand - Pentax included, unfortunately... but, overall, Pentax cameras and lenses are very good indeed and I think you'll be more than happy with your switch. The K-5 is a great place to start (I still have mine and shoot with it regularly, despite moving to the K-3 & K-3II as my main cameras).

Lens-wise, why not post a question in our Pentax SLR Lens Discussion forum. You'll get plenty of advice on lenses in the focal lengths you're interested in. And check out the Pentax Lens Reviews and Third-party Lens Reviews areas too - lots of good info there!

Enjoy
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
forums - great to have you with us, and thanks for the detailed intro... It's always nice to learn a bit about our new members
Hi BigMack ... thank you so much for the welcome Also thank you for the info on where to look and post on here. I'm a bit overwhelmed but sure I will learn to navigate quickly I'll check out the areas you suggested and see about posting there.

I'm absolutely LOVING the K5. It's outdoing any Canon I've had, or have, which is amazing! It's handling very low light situations quite well and not only well but with ease too. I'm SO excited to get out there and shoot a family (if it'll ever stop raining here in Alabama). Super excited!!! I feel like this was the right switch indeed.

Thank you so much
Jenna
12-05-2016, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jennaann Quote
Hi Everyone ... nice to be here
Hi Jenna from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums, and Pentax equipment. If you get yourself a weather resistant lens or 2 to go with your K-5, the rain will never be an issue again !! Good to have you aboard.

PS. Excellent 1st pix from you too.

12-05-2016, 01:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Jenna from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums, and Pentax equipment. If you get yourself a weather resistant lens or 2 to go with your K-5, the rain will never be an issue again !! Good to have you aboard.

PS. Excellent 1st pix from you too.
Hello and thank you I'm still learning my way around the buttons and shooting at a way lower ISO than Canon in dark situations but I'm amazed! Will most definitely look into water resistant lenses as well since I work outside that can be a problem. So glad to know the body is weather resistant Thank you again
12-05-2016, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jenna. If you need K-5 advice, there's lots of us here shooting K-5's! Welcome to the forum.
12-05-2016, 01:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Jenna. If you need K-5 advice, there's lots of us here shooting K-5's! Welcome to the forum.
Hi Mark and thank you kindly I do ... I feel a little overwhelmed and lost for sure. I think I'm holding my own with it so far but the lenses is going to be where I run into questions for sure. Want to try to go old school, until I can really afford to dive into more expensive lenses. So I've been giving them a look at on eBay. I know I need K mount, and auto. I love high aperture and I also love prime lenses. So this is going to be an interesting ride for sure. WHY do I have the feeling I'm going to be a collector of lenses? LOL
12-05-2016, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Mark and thank you kindly I do ... I feel a little overwhelmed and lost for sure. I think I'm holding my own with it so far but the lenses is going to be where I run into questions for sure. Want to try to go old school, until I can really afford to dive into more expensive lenses. So I've been giving them a look at on eBay. I know I need K mount, and auto. I love high aperture and I also love prime lenses. So this is going to be an interesting ride for sure. WHY do I have the feeling I'm going to be a collector of lenses? LOL
I can feel an LBA coming on! (Lens Buying Addiction)

You can also use older M42 screw-mount lenses, provided you buy the correct (cheap) screw-mount adapters. (There are two types, one which will allow focus to infinity, one not) Before using those, have a good read about the pitfalls of how to avoid getting the lens stuck on the camera.)

12-05-2016, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, depending how much lens automation you need in your life... there's a whole world of fine manual Pentax glass available for you to consider.
12-05-2016, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and welcome.

Pentax have a range of 100mm lenses, from 105mm Takumars from the 1960s all the way up to the current 100mm weather-resistant macro (which I own and which is outstanding for its design purpose, but sometimes has focus-overshoot issues on fast-moving targets that aren't exactly on an AF point). I notice quite a few of your pics here are still life and product photography-type stuff for which this lens would probably be an asset with very few downsides.

For 135mm AF, you have to go back to the film era, the FA 135mm f/2.8. I have this lens, which I shoot on my K-5 from time to time, and it serves me well for kids' concerts and the like. It's sometimes not easy to find and can be pricey, but it is ready for when you eventually make the step up to a K-1 (which was designed in part with FA lenses in mind), and can also be used on all the K-mount film bodies (if you decide to dabble in that at any stage). Pentax have loosely promised a short telephoto full frame prime in the next year or so, and speculation here is rife as to whether this means 85mm or 135mm. Going back in time a little the first-generation Pentax autofocus "F-series" lenses also had a 135 prime but I don't own that one and can't speak for it.

There is of course the DA* 50-135mm/2.8 AF zoom, but that is strictly a crop-sensor proposition, there are known issues with its SDM autofocus motor, and it's not cheap. Read up on that one carefully before considering it, especially if you're planning to jump to the K-1 in the foreseeable future (I am not buying any more crop-optimised lenses for that reason).

Short summary:
AF lenses are the F, FA, DA and D-FA series; everything else is manual focus. DA lenses are technically crop-sensor-only, but some of them have been found to cover the full frame acceptably.

A-series lenses are manual focus but offer full control of the aperture through the camera body, which gives you significant flexibility and capability. Earlier K and M series lenses do not, and this affects the ease of using flash, but may be controlled indirectly ("green button" metering method plus aperture ring).

Takumars require a screw-on adapter and their aperture cannot be altered by the camera; you have to stop down manually to the required aperture, which can be a pain (especially for focus adjustment) and is not recommended for fast-moving targets (on the other hand, it does invite the use of aperture priority mode, which in some ways makes them more convenient to use than the K and M series, because the camera is calculating the required shutter speed on the fly). Takumars are fun to dabble in if you're comfortable with manual focus and want something to try.

K-5 to K-1 is a jump I'm considering taking in the new year. It will be an interesting one, because the K-1 even in crop mode has scarcely fewer megapixels than the K-5 while being significantly better in many other ways. The K-5's noise handling with long exposures, on the other hand, is still among the best of any Pentax body (the 16MP Sony sensor they put in that one was exceptional), and it has the lowest minimum ISO (80) of any Pentax digital body (which believe it or not is an asset in itself sometimes, especially when you can shoot off a tripod and/or bring the light with flashes, strobes, etc.)
12-05-2016, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! Great to hear you're enjoying the K5 so much. I'd suggest not going crazy with lenses too quickly, the 50mm 1.8 is quite versatile and a pretty sweet lens. The 70mm or 77mm would be an obvious choice if you were looking for lens #2, both are extremely good. I have the 85mm Rokinon, it can be found for a reasonable price, but you need to manually focus it, not so good for paying gigs. Some photos here from it if you're interested.

Another thing to consider would be a cheap PTTL flash. My first PTTL was a sigma (Sigma EF-610 DG ST) I bought for $120 USD from BHPhoto... not a lot of options, but it opens up a whole world of shooting possibilities with bounce flash.

Last edited by bobbotron; 12-05-2016 at 08:18 AM.
12-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to the wonderful world of pentax! You can find quite a few lenses for sale at : B&H Photo/Video, Adorama, KEH, and National Camera Exchange. You can also look around the marketplace for offerings from forum members. Pentax makes some great primes with and without AF and there are focal lengths to fit pretty much any application. You mentioned a 100mm focal length... Pentax does indeed have autofocus 100mm's. Someone did already mention the FA 77 limited, which sees frequent use around the forums, especially for portrait work. If you have questions about just about anything, post them up! The members here are a wealth of knowledge and happy to help out, and you'll probably have your question answered (with multiple pages of responses) within hours. Once again, welcome!
12-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
te a few lenses for sale at : B&H Photo/Video, Adorama, KEH, and National Camera Exchange. You can also look around the marketplace for offerings from forum members. Pentax makes some great primes with and without AF and there are focal lengths to fit pretty much any application. You mentioned a 100mm focal length... Pentax does indeed have autofocus
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
rings from forum members. Pentax makes some great primes with and without AF and there are focal lengths to fit pretty much any application. You mentioned a 100mm focal length... Pentax does indeed have autofocus 100mm's. Someone did already mention the FA 77 limited, which sees frequent use around the forums, especially for portrait work. If you have q
You guys are SO awesome in here and I thank you so much for helping me navigate and for, quite literally, the wealth of information. This place is amazing!!!!!

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 11:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
ing on! (Lens Buying Addiction)
Mark ... I have a suspicion you MAY be correct with the LBA Oh NOOOO! I'm in so much trouble!
12-07-2016, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You guys are SO awesome in here and I thank you so much for helping me navigate and for, quite literally, the wealth of information. This place is amazing!!!!!

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 11:20 PM ----------

Mark ... I have a suspicion you MAY be correct with the LBA Oh NOOOO! I'm in so much trouble!
It could be worse Jenna. You could decide to take up cycling and before you know it, your bicycle is much more expensive than your car. An LBA can be positively therapeutic under such circumstances.
12-07-2016, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

If you're curious, forum member DonThomaso posts a lot of portrait work over in the "Post your Photos" section, and he uses the 77mm Limited frequently on a k-3/k-3II setup, he has also used 43mm ltd and 100mm. Check out some of his images to get an idea of what the lenses are capable of in both studio and outdoor environments. (We're not helping with potential LBA, are we... lol.)