Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello from New Orleans

Hi everyone, I'm a chef by trade and decided to give photography another try. I took two photography classes in high school using a ME Super with K series 50mm f1.2 and 200mm f4 lenses given to me from my uncle, another Pentax user. I lost interest a year or so after graduating and put it in a closet at my mom's house. Just recently, I decided I wanted to give it another go and since both lenses I had before would fit the newer cameras I decided to stick with Pentax.
So I did some research and decided on the K-S2. I went to my mom's house to get my old camera and lenses only to find that the only thing left in my camera bag was the 200mm lens and filters. My mom told me a few years ago one of my cousins wanted to try photography and she gave him the camera. A cousin who is now in rehab, so I knew that lens was long gone. While I was livid, it didn't deter me from sticking with Pentax.
I found a great deal on Amazon for the KS-2 body and the DA 50mm f1.8. After checking out, I realized the lens was out of stock and the next cheapest dealer on amazon was $30 more, so I just figured I'd wait it out. After about a week with no update on when the lens would be restocked, I discovered this forum and all of the great lens reviews. I spent the next week scouring the internet for a few of the cheaper lenses. Low and behold my uncle had a friend who was selling all of his Pentax lenses because he switched over to Canon. I finally met up with him today and ended up cancelling the back ordered lens right there and bought a FA 50mm f1.7 and a F 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 for $150.
Sorry for the long post and I look forward to learning more from this great community.

This was the first picture I snapped with the FA 50mm f1.7 when I got home.

1/100 f2.5 ISO 1600

12-10-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Pentax photography.
12-10-2016, 05:06 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and best wishes.
12-10-2016, 05:11 AM   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LeChefRouge Quote
Hello from New Orleans
Hi " Chef " from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums. No need to apologize for your post, it is good to learn about the new members.
Good to have you aboard.

12-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome. Do you work in the quarter? I am a fellow ks2 owner living in the st roch hood. I frequently ride my bike with my ks2 over my arm. I love riding the new cresent park up to the end of the world and the wlak around the quarter before going home. Going to unique grocery today to cash my cheque since Whitney bank isn't open today. I might stop at city park to snap a few photos before going to rouses on carrolton. Would be neat to see you around with the ks2
12-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Welcome. Do you work in the quarter? I am a fellow ks2 owner living in the st roch hood. I frequently ride my bike with my ks2 over my arm. I love riding the new cresent park up to the end of the world and the wlak around the quarter before going home. Going to unique grocery today to cash my cheque since Whitney bank isn't open today. I might stop at city park to snap a few photos before going to rouses on carrolton. Would be neat to see you around with the ks2
I work in Baton Rouge right now at LSU. I hate I'm hoping the company I work for picks up the contract at Tulane or something opens up at Loyola so my commute isn't so bad. I live in Metairie right now, but on my days off there is a high possibility of catching me in your hood. Some friends of mine have a place in Marigny and I'm usually in Bywater eating at Red's or The Sneaky Pickle every chance I get.
12-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've been meaning to get to reds since it opened. Didn't know about the sneaky pickle but i might go after voting. Had been thinking cheese curds at cheesy cajun. Thanks for the idea.

I dont envy your commute. At least metarie is normally twenty minutes closer to BR than here due to I10 logjam. But still i would take uptown any day over BR.

12-11-2016, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums - glad you could join us.

Thanks for a great introduction - and please don't apologise for the lengthy post; it's nice to learn something about our new members.

The K-S2 is a fine camera, and you did really well with those lens purchases... especially the FA50/1.7 which is a really capable bit of glass. You're all set!
12-11-2016, 03:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Missouri. I took a similar path. I use the lenses from my old Pentax film camera I used in high school. Congrats on your K-S2 purchase. Hope to hear more from you on your journey of learning photography
12-13-2016, 06:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the clubhouse!

I enjoy New Orleans when I have the chance to visit, usually for a trade show but I take a couple extra days.
04-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I thought about making a new introduction post, but it wouldn't be fair to actual new members. I took a trip to NYC for Christmas/New Years with my now ex and had a ton of photos to share. Long story short, the day after we got back I went to work only to come home to all of her stuff gone along with my K-S2 with an F 35-70 attached gone. With that, the only SD card I had with all of the pictures I had taken since I bought the camera. I have since then bought a new K-S2 with another F 35-70 and a F 100mm f2.8 macro to go along with the FA 50mm f1.7 and a F 28mm 2.8. So now that I am back on my feet, I hope to finally share all of my new photos, especially since spring is here.
04-03-2017, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well that sucks, hopefully life will be on the upswing now.
04-03-2017, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

sorry about the loss, I hope you had insurance.

if not, you may want to take a look at this thread:

Insuring gear - what do you use? - PentaxForums.com

you may want to do a search, I am sure there are multiple threads on the subject.

I also would recommend looking at this web site:

Lenstag - Protect your camera equipment, images and help make the world safer for photography on iOS, Android and the web.

I have been to N. O. a couple of times, had a great time with the Jazz clubs, not so enthused by the Bourbon Street scene but loved other parts of the Quarter

if we go back it will be for the jazz and the food - what great food.

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-03-2017 at 07:26 AM.
04-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Welcome to the forums

sorry about the loss, I hope you had insurance.

if not, you may want to take a look at this thread:

Insuring gear - what do you use? - PentaxForums.com

you may want to do a search, I am sure there are multiple threads on the subject.

I also would recommend looking at this web site:

Lenstag - Protect your camera equipment, images and help make the world safer for photography on iOS, Android and the web.

I have been to N. O. a couple of times, had a great time with the Jazz clubs, not so enthused by the Bourbon Street scene but loved other parts of the Quarter

if we go back it will be for the jazz and the food - what great food.

Unfortunately I didn't have insurance, but since my ex left in a rush, I guess she forgot about a stash of several large pieces of Lybian Desert Glass that was in the closet. It took a little over 2 months to sell enough to replace the camera and lens. I still got to keep a nice piece of the glass too. I will definitely look into insuring my equipment now. Thanks for the tip!