Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #1

Hello from Maine

I just got a K5 with 50-200mm on eBay, minimal experience with K1000 b/w years ago, and point-and-shoot real estate for years. Dslr all new to me, reading manual and beginner books. Screen protectors, LensPen in the mail, will buy one prime lens and UV, Skylight, polarizing filters next. Battery is charged, off to buy SD card and start wearing this camera. I am grateful for this forum.

12-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, enjoy your new phase in photography.
12-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums. The K-5 can take really nice pictures. I had two of them.
12-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by take5 Quote
Hello from Maine
Hi take5 from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums. With the filters, you might not need the SKYLIGHT as this was specifically for film to remove the blue cast appearing on film. The POLARIZER is a definite, and the UV can be used to protect the front element of the lens if you wish.
Good to have you aboard.

12-11-2016, 03:36 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums - glad you could join us.

As Peter says, you don't really need a Skylight filter. UV filters are fine if you like to protect the front element of the lens (I generally do). Just be aware that with strong light sources within or close to the frame of view, they can cause reflections - so remove such filters when taking shots that might be affected. Polarizing filters are very useful - but be sure to get the "circular" rather than "linear" type, as the latter won't work too well with your digital camera.

Enjoy!
12-13-2016, 04:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
Peter and Mike, thanks for your comments. I didn't know that about the Skylight, can cross it off my list. I'm sure a lot of shots, trial-and-error will teach me much; I'll take some shots with and without UV filter so I can see the effect depending on light. Looks like good ones run 60 bucks or so. I can see where this is kinda like owning a boat, on a smaller scale.

Beth
12-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the clubhouse! You'll like it here.

My K5 is semi-retired now, but it served well. Its exterior is pretty beaten up, but still works fine. So far I'm doing a better job protecting my K3II. When I'm in the field next year I may bring both but will need a different harness/sling.