Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Hello from New Mexico

Hello,

I'm new here and am seeking advice on some lenses I have. It looks like there is a LOT of great information on this forum so I am sure I will find what I'm looking for.

Thx

12-11-2016, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Fubsy from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax Forums. Good luck with finding the lenses you want. Good to have you here.
12-11-2016, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, there's a whole mountain of good lens information here on the forum, enjoy.
12-11-2016, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums.

12-11-2016, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and ask away! Check out some of the current strings and posts already on the forum. The answer you seek may already be at hand!
12-12-2016, 12:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I have several lenses that I'm looking to sell but have no idea what they're worth. I was hoping to see what others are selling for here but didn't realize there was a fee to access the marketplace (I guess that's what it is called). Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I would start looking without having to pay $10? If it's more beneficial for me to list them here, where people appreciate vintage, working Takumar lenses, then I'm happy to spend the $10, or more.

A nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Tracy
12-13-2016, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, Tracy, and welcome aboard - glad you could join us.

The best way to value your lenses is to research them on eBay. See what others are selling theirs for, and price yours within that range. That's exactly what most of us here would do - the info is there for the taking.

You need to evaluate the condition of your lenses cosmetically, mechanically (aperture stopping down and opening up in a "snappy" way) and optically (look through them to see if there's any fungus, haze or dust / debris), and consider that when comparing them to what's available on eBay. Lenses with fungus or haze (or other problems) or mechanical issues usually fetch very little compared to good condition, fully-working, optically clean and clear examples.

You can also look at the user reviews in our lens reviews section. Often, people will state the price they paid. That can give you an idea of what your lenses are worth, but of course you can't see what condition the reviewed lenses were in. So for me, eBay is a better reference.

As far as advertising your lenses to sell, the Marketplace is excellent value at $10, since you can then advertise and sell your lenses with no other fees whatsoever. Plus, you're getting access to a bunch of Pentax enthusiasts who are far more likely to be interested in those lenses. Alternatively, you can sell them on eBay (in which case you lose some of the sale price on eBay fees) or perhaps in a local or national small ads paper.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-13-2016 at 11:11 PM.
12-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello, Tracy, and welcome aboard - glad you could join us.

The best way to value your lenses is to research them on eBay. See what others are selling theirs for, and price yours within that range. That's exactly what most of us here would do - the info is there for the taking.

You need to evaluate the condition of your lenses cosmetically, mechanically (aperture stopping down and opening up in a "snappy" way) and optically (look through them to see if there's any fungus, haze or dust / debris), and consider that when comparing them to what's available on eBay. Lenses with fungus or haze (or other problems) or mechanical issues usually fetch very little compared to good condition, fully-working, optically clean and clear examples.

You can also look at the user reviews in our lens reviews section. Often, people will state the price they paid. That can give you an idea of what your lenses are worth, but of course you can't see what condition the reviewed lenses were in. So for me, eBay is a better reference.

As far as advertising your lenses to sell, the Marketplace is excellent value at $10, since you can then advertise and sell your lenses with no other fees whatsoever. Plus, you're getting access to a bunch of Pentax enthusiasts who are far more likely to be interested in those lenses. Alternatively, you can sell them on eBay (in which case you lose some of the sale price on eBay fees) or perhaps in a local or national small ads paper.
Thank you so much for this information. I will do some research and will be back to join the market place. I hadn't thought about the fees that eBay would charge for selling these lenses.

Unfortunately, I count have a camera body to test them with but they seem to move very smoothly. They've always been in their cases with lens caps on so cosmetically they are in very good condition considering their age.

I will poke around this site and eBay and will be back in a few weeks to join the market place.

Thank you again for your help.

Tracy
12-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You're very welcome, Tracy. Good luck and see you soon