Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

HiYa from Liverpool

HiYa All,

I'm Liverpool born and raised now living across the River Mersey in Wallasey, within camera shot of the most vibrant and welcoming city in the UK.

I have to confess that I don't own a Pentax Camera. I have started buying Pentax K-mount lenses for my new Sony a6000 camera as they a affordably better than what is on offer from Sony. I also like shooting the old way using manual focus camera settings plus using Sony's superb focus peaking to aid me. I use a mount adaptor to fit the lens and it works fine, remembering the crop factor of 1.5 has to be taken into account when selecting the best lens for the job.

I came back to photography on my 65th birthday this August and was nearly persuaded to purchase a Canon mid-range camera - that was until I read a review of the a6000 and watched Gary Fong's youtube video about it's amazing features! Not looked back since - I believe I have the best of both worlds - mirrorless camera functionality when using a native Sony auto-focus lens and the pick of good manual focus lenses from other systems.

My appreciation and understanding of Pentax lens heritage and quality has been totally down to this forum and the in-depth quality of available information. I hope after a while I can contribute to that wealth of knowledge and be of help to others who have taken or are considering the same path into photography as me.

I look forward to getting to know some of you and using more Pentax lenses.

Cheers....Paul

12-12-2016, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums.
12-12-2016, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Paul from Liverpool. With that heritage I would expect a Kodak instead of a Sony. Or is that a different Paul from Liverpool. couldn't help myself. Lots of great info on lenses here. Enjoy.
12-12-2016, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

You should know that Liverpool's most famous musical export was well known for its shooting of Pentax. But if you're not going to shoot the bodies, then it's lovely to know you appreciate the glass. Welcome.

It's good to know, too, that an M42 adapter will put a whole range of older but no less outstanding Pentax (Takumar) glass within your reach.

12-12-2016, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from a place named for the Liverpool over there...
12-12-2016, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Devared Quote
of the most vibrant and welcoming city in the UK
Welcome to the forum, not even a hint of bias here with that comment.
12-12-2016, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
Closed Account

Hi Paul from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Very good introduction from you, thanks. Good to have you aboard mate.

12-13-2016, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
A Scouser thanks you...

HiYa,

Many thanx to all you members who have responded to my debut membership posting. I feel this is going to be a terrific forum to be a part of.

I extend an warm invitation to anyone who is considering a visit to Liverpool (well worth it!) to look me up if you want a photo guide (free) - the city has a historic maritime history, a World Heritage Waterfront, is the legacy home of the mop-top four and of course football legends Liverpool FC!

Ta,
Paul

---------- Post added 12-13-16 at 12:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, not even a hint of bias here with that comment.
HiYa,

Your reply made me chuckle - yep, it goes with the heritage I guess!
I love your description handle..... all those ladies in your life.

Cheers...........Paul

---------- Post added 12-13-16 at 01:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You should know that Liverpool's most famous musical export was well known for its shooting of Pentax. But if you're not going to shoot the bodies, then it's lovely to know you appreciate the glass. Welcome.

It's good to know, too, that an M42 adapter will put a whole range of older but no less outstanding Pentax (Takumar) glass within your reach.
HiYa,
Thanx for the suggestion about the M42 mount adaptor. I have been a little reluctant to purchase any M42 lenses mainly due to some Sony user postings on other forums suggesting that the back element on some M42 lenses may bring them too close to the metering system and or affect lens fitment? Information as to which lenses is scant at present. I will be keeping a watching brief on the situation.

Cheers........ Paul
12-13-2016, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I know there is an issue with some Takumars and the aperture lever of some Pentax lenses potentially getting whacked by the mirror on Canon full-frame DSLRs (which is why some Canon videographers saw them off, GRRRR!!!), but this is the first I've heard of Sony mirrorless issues. I know there are quite a few people here who shoot Taks on Sony bodies, so put up a question in either the Pentax lens or the non-Pentax-body subforum and see what answers you get.

Last edited by pathdoc; 12-13-2016 at 07:26 AM.
12-13-2016, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Devared Quote
HiYa,
Thanx for the suggestion about the M42 mount adaptor. I have been a little reluctant to purchase any M42 lenses mainly due to some Sony user postings on other forums suggesting that the back element on some M42 lenses may bring them too close to the metering system and or affect lens fitment? Information as to which lenses is scant at present. I will be keeping a watching brief on the situation.

Cheers........ Paul
The Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 (8-element) has a protruding rear element. This can interfere with the mirror on Canon full frame cameras...K-mount lenses have the same problem with the aperture lever and Canon full frame cameras...

Last edited by boriscleto; 12-13-2016 at 06:37 PM.
12-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, Paul, and welcome aboard - great to have you with us!

I'm embarrassed to say that my only experiences of Liverpool were watching Brookside back in the day, and a recent trip to a photography show (my first ever trip to the city)

Looking forward to your involvement, and to seeing some photos of your neighbourhood