Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
welcome to the forum

one thought if you are looking at buying new, there is a tie in between some suppliers and the forum that you may want to explore, you can get benefits from the forum if you use either of them.

you must place the order online as I understand it

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/97599-sale...opaz-labs.html
Thanks, Allen:

For the K-S2, as an example, Amazon Prime quoted $526.95 with free shipping, but tax ran the total up to $570. B&H sells the camera for $499, free shipping, and no tax outside NY state. Methinks using the forum links is a no-brainer . . .

12-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TangoMike Quote
Thanks, Allen:

For the K-S2, as an example, Amazon Prime quoted $526.95 with free shipping, but tax ran the total up to $570. B&H sells the camera for $499, free shipping, and no tax outside NY state. Methinks using the forum links is a no-brainer . . .
I haven't bought much from B & H but have been pleased with what i have gotten from them. They are also great at chatting with you to answer your questions and give advice
12-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the advice and counsel up to this point. In preparation for my purchase, I've downloaded the operating manual for the K-S2, and studied the written and video tutorial information on how to adjust a DSLR's settings for use with older lenses.

As for the adapter, I've ordered a Pentax Mount Adapter B from Amazon, which according to multiple reviews appears to be the genuine Pentax version. Until I discover otherwise, I assume there will be no issues with the adapter fitting the camera or the lenses.

For a DSLR neophyte like myself, the information tends to introduce uncertainties because some steps begin with a clause that restricts the applicability of what follows to certain types of lenses. One of the key factors appears to be whether the older lens has an "A" position on the aperture ring. All of my lenses do, and I've been trying to ignore any information that applies to lenses that don't.

My initial objective is to begin using the camera in the most automatic way possible before exploring the extensive list of additional features offered in a DSLR in comparison with my Spotmatic. Without trying to confirm my understanding of each setting adjustment prior to trying it on the camera, I'd appreciate validation/correction of the following:
  1. Since all my lenses are screwmount, I can install the adapter and leave it there.
  2. Once I adjust the settings, I can use them as is, except when switching from one lens to another, when I need to set the EV for the focal length of the lens being used, which also has an impact on the effectiveness of stabilization(?).
  3. The most automatic mode I can use is referred to in some information as "semi-auto," in that I need to set the lens to "A," use the Aperture Priority mode, manually set the aperture, and press the green button to set the shutter speed for a properly exposed photo as determined by the camera.
  4. The shutter release button will stop down the aperture for the shot and return it to wide open for the next one.
  5. All my focusing needs to be done manually, and one of the advantages of "old glass" is that the throw of the focus ring is much greater than on new lenses designed for DSLRs, which allows more precise manual control.
  6. Do I have the capability to view depth of field by manually switching the aperture to "M" and then returning to "A" for the shot?
Thanks again in advance for the willingness to share your knowledge.

Tosh