Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
do you get to take any out for a test drive???
Not on that day, but on Labor Day weekend, many of them are taken out of the museum and driven in a parade. I hope to see it in 2017

03-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wm_brant Quote
. . . All that I've heard says that Road America is an extremely beautiful (and exciting) track.

Shooting at a road race is exciting - you can get pretty close to the cars in the pits and you can shoot from just about anywhere around the track as you're not tied to a particular seat. I seriously walked my butt off during the two days I was there... You know all those recommendations about traveling light and leaving lots of your gear at home? I completely ignored all of them - and paid the price.
. . . .

I was at Road America in the early-mid 90's and at that time it was excellent for taking photos. you could go to many areas of the track and set up for straights, near hair pin turns, 90 degree turns etc and there was easy access to the pits. You had to be in shape, you walked the area and it is hilly I was using a Pentax film camera with a Vivitar Series 1 manual zoom, I can't remember the camera or whether it was the 28 - 105 or the 70 - 210 zoom.

I was able to photograph # 34 in the Trans Am series driven by the Walter Payton of Chicago Bears fame right after it had passed under the bridge after turn two heading down to the left hand 90 degree turn to the short uphill climb to another left hander. Through panning, hand held, I froze the vehicle while blurring the back ground, exactly what I had hoped.

The next year, I met him in the pits and exchanged a copy of the photo for his autograph. later he crashed in about the same spot, the car rested on the roof and caught fire. He was able to get out with little injury The next thing I heard was that he stopped racing and bought a ownership share in a CART team

If you like to try to capture live action racing and can get there, I highly recommend Race America near Elkhart Lake Wisconsin

Track Elkhart Lake's Road America, Inc.

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-01-2017 at 04:31 PM.
03-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #33
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and invitation

Welcome and best wishes from a former Iowan and fellow GM fan.

Please consider posting images in the Picture of The Week threads in the Weekly Photo Challenges area.