Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forum from a strictly amateur photographer from Topeka Kansas,

formerly resident of (latest city first) Waterloo, Marshalltown, Muscatine, Sioux City, Des Moines and east central Illinois. So I am somewhat familiar with the State. Still get back to Iowa a few times a year b/c my wife's mother still lives in Mapleton and our son lives in that western suburb of Council Bluffs called Omaha Ne.

if you are in the area, the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha is a great spot for getting some photography work in.

by the way, one of the cars I drive is a 2002 Suburban LT with some rust, bumps and dirt and 182 K plus miles and counting - still on the first engine too. Bought it in Oct of 2002 with 25 miles on it. ( we also have a Chevy Cruz and a 2015 Audi A 5 coupe)

eagerly looking forward to your contributions to the forums.

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-22-2016 at 08:49 PM.
12-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
welcome to the forum from a strictly amateur photographer from Topeka Kansas,

formerly resident of (latest city first) Waterloo, Marshalltown, Muscatine, Sioux City, Des Moines and east central Illinois. So I am somewhat familiar with the State. Still get back to Iowa a few times a year b/c my wife's mother still lives in Mapleton and our son lives in that western suburb of Council Bluffs called Omaha Ne.

if you are in the area, the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha is a great spot for getting some photography work in.

by the way, one of the cars I drive is a 2002 Suburban LT with some rust, bumps and dirt and 182 K plus miles and counting - still on the first engine too. Bought it in Oct of 2002 with 25 miles on it. ( we also have a Chevy Cruz and a 2015 Audi A 5 coupe)

eagerly looking forward to your contributions to the forums.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Wow - I am familiar with all of those places - from the Dubuque area myself. My family loves full-size GM trucks/SUVs - one of the newer GMC's in the family fleet is 2015 Yukon SLE 4WD, we would have more but they are sort of pricey and not too great on fuel. They will run and run, as you have mentioned with your Suburban - those old 5.3L's were GREAT motors. Also have in the fleet a 2016 GMC Terrain Denali FWD 4 cylinder, 2007 Pontiac Torrent FWD and a pampered low mileage 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE.

The Cruze is a nice car and I bet that A5 is blast to drive! Audi makes a NICE car.

I hope I can sure be a good contributor to the forum! Warning you will see photos of the aforementioned vehicles - especially the 2 newer GMC's and the Bonneville!
12-23-2016, 02:26 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

near Dubuque??

Wife's sister is from New Vienna and is the librarian in Dyersville.

years ago, I went to an event that you as a GM lover might know about - "Bloomington Gold"

ABOUT US

I see that it has moved from Bloomington Il (20 miles from where I grew up in Le Roy) to Indianapolis IN

another thought for great photography opportunities near you - auto racing - have you ever gone over to Road America (longest road course in America)

http://www.roadamerica.com/

http://www.roadamerica.com/track.html

years ago, I went twice, early '90s, capturing the great Walter Payton # 34 racing in the Trans Am series in a photo one year and getting to give him a copy of the photo the next year. Got his autograph and that is one photo that will always be kept. Caught the car in motion with the background blurred because of the panning technique I was trying to use. using a Pentax SLR of course.

Have you ever attended either, you might like them?

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-23-2016 at 02:46 AM.
12-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
near Dubuque??

Wife's sister is from New Vienna and is the librarian in Dyersville.

years ago, I went to an event that you as a GM lover might know about - "Bloomington Gold"

ABOUT US

I see that it has moved from Bloomington Il (20 miles from where I grew up in Le Roy) to Indianapolis IN

another thought for great photography opportunities near you - auto racing - have you ever gone over to Road America (longest road course in America)

Welcome to Road America Elkhart Lake's Road America, Inc.

Track Elkhart Lake's Road America, Inc.

years ago, I went twice, early '90s, capturing the great Walter Payton # 34 racing in the Trans Am series in a photo one year and getting to give him a copy of the photo the next year. Got his autograph and that is one photo that will always be kept. Caught the car in motion with the background blurred because of the panning technique I was trying to use. using a Pentax SLR of course.

Have you ever attended either, you might like them?
Wow what a small world! I am going to look into that road America thing too. I know right where Dyersville and New Vienna are... Small world! Have a good Christmas and thanks for the warm welcome.

12-23-2016, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All car lovers travelling through Indiana must stop in Auburn at visit both the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum and the National Automotive Transportation Museum right next door. Actually one could spend the whole weekend there checking out automotive history of all sorts.
12-24-2016, 11:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
All car lovers travelling through Indiana must stop in Auburn at visit both the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum and the National Automotive Transportation Museum right next door. Actually one could spend the whole weekend there checking out automotive history of all sorts.
Great thought! Thank you, sounds like a neat place!
12-25-2016, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
sounds like a neat place!
It is, you'll see cars you've never seen anywhere else, such as this ( I am so behind on posting pictures!):
[IMG][/IMG]

and this:

12-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

do you get to take any out for a test drive???
12-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. I have the Pentax K-3II and Pentax 16-85 lens also.
12-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to the forums. I have the Pentax K-3II and Pentax 16-85 lens also.
Oh cool, do you like the combo? My shutter count is at about 200 and I have only taken 75 or so photos with that combo. From the limited and only indoor shooting thus far, weather has stunk, I like it.

Gotta stop reading on this forum and looking at lens club threads, I now have a 15mm F4 DA HD Limited on the way. LBA has struck, but seriously now I am done, for a while meaning till late spring / summer.

---------- Post added 12-25-16 at 11:31 PM ----------

It is, you'll see cars you've never seen anywhere else, such as this ( I am so behind on posting pictures!):
[/url][/IMG]

and this:
Great photos, I am more of a muscle/performance car guy... But I appreciate cars of that era too, they are like rolling pieces of art. Wow great pics. Thanks for sharing.

---------- Post added 12-25-16 at 11:32 PM ----------

do you get to take any out for a test drive???
I would drive it home and keep. Like I said they are moving sculptures and art from that era.
12-26-2016, 05:21 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
I am more of a muscle/performance car guy
Then the National Auto and Truck Museum, located right next to the Aurburn Cord Duesenberg Museum, is for you. Unfortunately the day I visited, my memory card was almost full from the first museum, and my back-up card failed, so have few photos from the NATMUS.
12-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Then the National Auto and Truck Museum, located right next to the Aurburn Cord Duesenberg Museum, is for you. Unfortunately the day I visited, my memory card was almost full from the first museum, and my back-up card failed, so have few photos from the NATMUS.
Wow, a double whammy! Two great places right next to each other.
02-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fellow Iowan here. I went to Mid-Ohio a few years ago and shot a Grand-Am race there just for my own enjoyment. At that time Grand Am (now IMSA) didn't race at Road America, or I would have shot there. All that I've heard says that Road America is an extremely beautiful (and exciting) track.

Shooting at a road race is exciting - you can get pretty close to the cars in the pits and you can shoot from just about anywhere around the track as you're not tied to a particular seat. I seriously walked my butt off during the two days I was there... You know all those recommendations about traveling light and leaving lots of your gear at home? I completely ignored all of them - and paid the price.

The talk of auto museums reminds me that I *gotta* start putting together my 'hit list' of places I need to travel to to shoot at. Those two look really nice.
03-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! Central Iowa resident here.
03-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wm_brant Quote
Fellow Iowan here. I went to Mid-Ohio a few years ago and shot a Grand-Am race there just for my own enjoyment. At that time Grand Am (now IMSA) didn't race at Road America, or I would have shot there. All that I've heard says that Road America is an extremely beautiful (and exciting) track.

Shooting at a road race is exciting - you can get pretty close to the cars in the pits and you can shoot from just about anywhere around the track as you're not tied to a particular seat. I seriously walked my butt off during the two days I was there... You know all those recommendations about traveling light and leaving lots of your gear at home? I completely ignored all of them - and paid the price.

The talk of auto museums reminds me that I *gotta* start putting together my 'hit list' of places I need to travel to to shoot at. Those two look really nice.
FYI

here are some things in Topeka that might be of interest.

[I have no ownership interest in any of the following and receive no compensation for listing them]

Evel Knievel Museum

EvelKnievelThrillShow

according to the person answering that phone at the museum below, opening for the Evel Knievel Museum will, hopefully be mid April 2017

Yesterdays Motorcycle Museum at Topeka Harley-Davidson

http://www.historicharley.com/learn-more-about--museum

both museums located at the local Harley Davidson dealership, come look buy souvenirs, eat food and get a Harley if you are so inclined -full service

Heartland Park Topeka

NHRA drag strip, road course, dirt track, autocross, moto x track

event calendar

Heartland Park Topeka

Main - Sports Car Club of America

http://www.combatairmuseum.org/aircraft.html

don't forget to plan on visiting the Topeka Zoological Park when in town.

The Topeka Zoo | Friends of the Topeka Zoo

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-01-2017 at 09:55 AM.