Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2016, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I just had a look in our phone directory but can't fand any Hardakers in Whangarei. There is an E Hardaker in Napier, however. Whangarei (pronounced "Fungaray") is, indeed, a Maori name.
Thanks Mark, I'll remember how to pronounce Whan-gar-ei. It's been years, so who knows about the Hardakers though there is a E. Hardaker in the North Island. Could it be her? Her father was a cab driver, and I remember Eunice telling me he quit his job due to arriving home too late for his tea. Love it. She was a pretty blonde, and I enjoyed our correspondence. We were both around 12 at the time. No computers, no cell phones, the age of innocence. And photos were in black/white.

Coming back to this forum has been great due to people like you. Colonial Nature Photography Club | The Colonial Nature Photography Club is made up of photography enthusiasts who want to share their excitement about this wonderful hobby. Home page header photo by Dan Ewart (cropped to fit) is the link to the club I belong to.

---------- Post added 12-20-16 at 09:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paolo11 Quote
Thanks Mark, I'll remember how to pronounce Whan-gar-ei. It's been years, so who knows about the Hardakers though there is a E. Hardaker in the North Island. Could it be her? Her father was a cab driver, and I remember Eunice telling me he quit his job due to arriving home too late for his tea. Love it. She was a pretty blonde, and I enjoyed our correspondence. We were both around 12 at the time. No computers, no cell phones, the age of innocence. And photos were in black/white.

Coming back to this forum has been great due to people like you. Colonial Nature Photography Club | The Colonial Nature Photography Club is made up of photography enthusiasts who want to share their excitement about this wonderful hobby. Home page header photo by Dan Ewart (cropped to fit) is the link to the club I belong to.
Oh yes, my name is Paul Baker, the Italian side of my family called me Paolo which I use in the cycling circuit. Besides, has more panache.

---------- Post added 12-20-16 at 09:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello, Paolo, and welcome (back) to the forums. Glad you took the time to re-introduce yourself, and looking forward to your continued involvement
thanks BigMack, it's already been a pleasure as the people have been great in welcoming me back. I almost bought the K3II, $1,000 cheaper then the K1, but I have 3 APS-C cameras (wife uses the K50), so i sprung for it. I also have a K5 and the Pentax bridge camera, XG-1. You have quite a collection.

12-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paolo11 Quote
Hi Paul

Well there's 26 Hardakers in the phone directory and I struck luck (sort of) on the second call. Spoke with Eunice's brother Reg. Unfortunately, Eunice died about 35 years ago. Her dad was a diesel mechanic but did operate, for a time, a taxi service.
If you'd like to contact him, PM me and I'll reply with the phone number.

Kind regards,
Mark

Last edited by MarkJerling; 12-20-2016 at 05:39 PM.
12-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #18

Original Poster
thanks so much

Mark,

Isn't it interesting how we come full circle sometimes, I never expected you to go out of your way to do this. And how it came about with you welcoming me back, and I noticed you live in NZ. It just brought a flash back of childhood memories.

Indeed, it sounds like you hit the target, if Reg had a sister Eunice, and the father was involved with a taxi service, then it all adds up that she's the correct person. Pity about Eunice dying. Do you know if he has internet?

No matter what, I deeply appreciate you effort as sad as it may be. As I mentioned, she was a sweet girl and I would have enjoyed so much in talking with her.

---------- Post added 12-21-16 at 10:59 AM ----------

Hi Mark,

Noticed you have a K5 which I also have, great camera. I recently purchased a K1 also. My wife has a K50, and I also have a Pentax bridge camera I use for when I cycle in the area, it weights 1 1/4 lbs., and zooms from 24 mm to 1247 mm.

Williamsburg is a very historical area, main reason I moved here as I enjoy history. One of my favorite areas for photos is Jamestown Island, peaceful and natural with Osprey and Bald eagle nests. I'll have to posts some photos.

I've had the K1 for about a month or so along with a 28 to 105 mm FF lens, and I use the K5 manual as many settings on the K1 are similar and better explained then the small manual that comes with the K1, always cutting costs. They mentioned the improved SR in the K1, but I don't think it's any better then the K5 as i was doing some night shots hand held, and the K5 was just as good.

Luckily, the camera club I belong to has a very good mix of pros and amateurs which I am. One pro is into astro photography, and he mentioned that he was impressed with the K1 and will give a seminar on astro photogrpahy.

So as time goes, I'm getting more involved in photography. I've built a butterfly garden as flowers/insects are my favorite subjects, have a Tamron 90 mm macro lens which is a great lens.

Regards,

Paul
12-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No worries Paul. Definitively the correct Eunice. They were the only Hardakers in Whangarei. There are Hardakers on on the South Island too, and in the Hawkes Bay, but not closely related to the Northland / Auckland bunch. Reg did say that his dad got out of the taxi business because of the long hours, so that ties in with your recollections as well. I did not ask what caused her death - but she must have been quite young when she died.
I've flicked you a PM with the contact details.

I'd love a K-1, but for now, the K-5 will have to do. You sure live in a very historic part of the USA. I have been to your neck of the woods, many moons ago. Roanoke Island and so forth.
Interesting what you say about the K-1. Still, you must find it good for macro photography!

12-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #20

Original Poster
Many thanks Mark, I'll post a letter. I had a childhood sweetheart, never forgot her. After my Army stint, I tried to look her up to no avail. Finally I got hold of her sister, and she too had died (colon cancer). Always thought women outlived men.

I haven't tried macro shots yet with my K1, I will mail a couple taken with my K5 once i figure how to upload to show the detail with the Tamron. What impresses me about the K1 is the IQ and resolution, so natural. When I uploaded to my computer, i thought: wow! My K5 over saturates the reds. Also, maybe it's luck, buy my K1 shots don't require any post processing. The Tamron macro lens is one of my favorite lens, Got a deal on Amazon for 350.00 as it goes for 500.00. Problem with the FF is that you want new lenses, and they are not cheap.

R,

Paul

---------- Post added 12-21-16 at 05:22 PM ----------

Mark, Pass summer as I was cycling Jamestown Island, met a woman from NZ, what a sense of humor, just cracked me up. She said she loved W'burg and the British culture we have here, and would like to live here. Told her if it wasn't for the insane King George III, we might still be a colony and that she wouldn't need a passport to visit.

I cycle the cap to cap trail (W'burg to Richmond), just completed last year, runs 53 miles. I go by a revolution battlefield called Greensprings, last major engagement before Yorktown. It was really a minor event won by Cornwallis as he was heading for Portsmouth, more like a rear guard action that grew in size, but a moral victory for the US as 800 colonists took on 5,000 Brits.

Washington actually marched out of W'burg when he headed for Yorktown. Met a Brit from Brighton that was cycling across the US, said he stopped at Yorktown. Told him he should see Jamestowne Settlement also, he said, no, Yorktown depressed him enough. I laughed.

Mentioned to my neighbor the Eunice story, and he said his son is currently doing a cruise in NZ, and remarked how beautiful the south Island was.
12-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No worries Paul. Definitively the correct Eunice. They were the only Hardakers in Whangarei. There are Hardakers on on the South Island too, and in the Hawkes Bay, but not closely related to the Northland / Auckland bunch. Reg did say that his dad got out of the taxi business because of the long hours, so that ties in with your recollections as well. I did not ask what caused her death - but she must have been quite young when she died.
I've flicked you a PM with the contact details.

I'd love a K-1, but for now, the K-5 will have to do. You sure live in a very historic part of the USA. I have been to your neck of the woods, many moons ago. Roanoke Island and so forth.
Interesting what you say about the K-1. Still, you must find it good for macro photography!

Mark, let me know if you can open this okay,weird how it's done. taken with my K5 and Tamron macro lens
Attached Images

12-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Paul

I see the image no problem.

It is, indeed, a small world we live in.

KInd regards,
Mark