Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #1

It's been awhile

I come here frequently to read updates on Pentax products, but it's been a long time since I've left a post. So, here it goes. I've been using Pentax cameras for many years, I'm on my 4th Pentax DSLR,and my wife and I belong to a great camera club here in Williamsburg, VA, where we are the only users of Pentax cameras. We have published pros, and advance photographers in the club. I'm almost the latter; but cycling is my main hobby as I've been a competitive cyclist for many years, and use to build custom bikes.

About a month ago I made the plunge to the K1 and the 28 - 105 mm lens, quite a learning curve. The first thing I noticed after taking a few shots are the great IQ and resolution, just remarkable. My K5 tends to over saturate the reds, but the K1 shots are just like looking at the live scene. Intend to try astro photography as I have a pro willing to help me.

Yesterday, I D/L a free trail of Corel Afershot Pro 3, and yes, it doesn't support the K1 DNG as stated on this forum. I notified Corel and made out a request for support as I hope others have done, maybe they will do it if they get enough requests.

Registration remains a problem as Pentax's new website really doesn't work, it takes your input, but not sure where it goes after that. I spoke with a rep in Atlanta (they moved there from CO), and he took down my registration info and said he would get back to me this week. Also, the disc that came with the camera that contains Pentax's Digital Camera Utility 5 had to be updated as it won't display my files in the Browser, still doesn't work, but I found a work around by cut/paste in the target to my files.

It seems Pentax has a lot of catching up to do with their new product line, hopefully their support will grow in this country.

Glad to be back, and Happy Holidays to everyone, perhaps Santa will leave you a K1 under the tree.

Paolo11

12-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back, then! Congrats on your new K-1 - and if you can talk Santa into giving me one, too, I wouldn't complain at all
12-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, my Santa came back in May...
12-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Welcome back, then! Congrats on your new K-1 - and if you can talk Santa into giving me one, too, I wouldn't complain at all
Okay, I'll send Santa the request. I'm sure prices will drop, but they actually went up about 200.00. I got a decent deal from Amazon thru Focus camera plus some trinkets, but then their price went up.. I guess it's still a hot item.

12-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, my Santa came back in May...
Scotland, I love it there. Took lessons on the pipes, had a honey in Wishaw. Hope to go there some day for a visit. Where do you live in Scotland? Sterling was my favorite town.
12-19-2016, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by paolo11 Quote
Where do you live in Scotland?
I'm a good bit further North than Sterling, I'm on the banks of Loch Ness.

12-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

Original Poster
I'm a good bit further North than Sterling, I'm on the banks of Loch Ness.
I don't recall going there. Does the Ness river run thru Sterling? Remember sitting on the bank, castle was above me, just beautiful. I did travel north to the Trurso area, the North Sea was on one side, and the Atlantic on the other. Hills were dotted with sheep, along with cottages. It's been awhile.

So what do you do in Loch Ness? I'm originally from Boston, work brought me here years ago to the D.C. area, retired and move to Williamsburg, much warmer. Strong Brit culture here, love the history. I live off of Jamestown Rd, about 3 miles from historical Williamsburg, and about the same to Jamestown Island. I have a Pentax bridge camera which I strap around my waist while cycling around the area.

Love the photo, and miss the fish and chips, but not the tea times.

12-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome back!
12-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the Ness river run thru Sterling?
No... I'm 159 miles North of Sterling, some 3 hours odd by road.

So what do you do in Loch Ness?
I do photography and occasionally feed a local monster as I go about my business.
12-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, I'll send Santa the request. I'm sure prices will drop, but they actually went up about 200.00. I got a decent deal from Amazon thru Focus camera plus some trinkets, but then their price went up.. I guess it's still a hot item.
I would be quite happy had we had American prices. They are quite a bit higher here in Norway. But the main reason for sticking to the K-3 is that I don't "need" more camera than that. Heck, MFT would probably be a better system for me, but I love the economics and optical viewfinder of Pentax.

But I still wouldn't mind if Santa brought me a K-1
12-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I do photography and occasionally feed a local monster as I go about my business.
Now you're a bit harsh on yourself KD - I wouldn't call you a monster. Not really. At least not after dram or two of whisky for breakfast
12-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Now you're a bit harsh on yourself KD - I wouldn't call you a monster. Not really. At least not after dram or two of whisky for breakfast
It's good to know you care.
12-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #13

Original Poster
I would be quite happy had we had American prices. They are quite a bit higher here in Norway. But the main reason for sticking to the K-3 is that I don't "need" more camera than that. Heck, MFT would probably be a better system for me, but I love the economics and optical viewfinder of Pentax.

But I still wouldn't mind if Santa brought me a K-1
I read that the US has the cheapest prices as compared to Europe. Wonder why? Perhaps it's due to trying to get back a lost footing over here. Anyway, thanks for the welcome back, we'll stay in touch as I'm always interested in European views.

---------- Post added 12-19-16 at 06:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome back!
Thanks Mark. When I was a kid I had a pen pal from Whangarei. I guess a Maori name? Eunice Hardaker was her name, just thought about her, and her name popped in. She would mail me photos where she lived, beautiful place. I met some Aussies while in Scotland, and I tried to pronounce the name, and they had a good laugh.
12-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read that the US has the cheapest prices as compared to Europe. Wonder why? Perhaps it's due to trying to get back a lost footing over here. Anyway, thanks for the welcome back, we'll stay in touch as I'm always interested in European views.

---------- Post added 12-19-16 at 06:56 PM ----------

Thanks Mark. When I was a kid I had a pen pal from Whangarei. I guess a Maori name? Eunice Hardaker was her name, just thought about her, and her name popped in. She would mail me photos where she lived, beautiful place. I met some Aussies while in Scotland, and I tried to pronounce the name, and they had a good laugh.
I just had a look in our phone directory but can't fand any Hardakers in Whangarei. There is an E Hardaker in Napier, however. Whangarei (pronounced "Fungaray") is, indeed, a Maori name.
12-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, Paolo, and welcome (back) to the forums. Glad you took the time to re-introduce yourself, and looking forward to your continued involvement