Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2016, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Recommitting to Pentax

Greetings fellow Pentaxians! I bought my first Pentax, the storied MX, in 1981 to document the birth of my first son. (Fantastic experience!) Since then, I have seen life with one eye closed and the other squinting. Marvelous!

In a few hours, Santa will bestow a new K-1 upon me and I will resume shooting landscapes and artistic natural world art in glorious high resolution. Can't wait!

My detour to the K-1 was via the K-20D and the amazing little MX-1 (mini retro!). Most recently I the seriously jumped into the micro 4/3s system. I have a fairly complete Olympus kit (OM-D EM-1 and Pro lenses). It's great gear, but I soon discovered the limits of that little sensor for my grander ambitions. So hello, K-1!

Thanks to You
The members of this forum have been amazingly helpful in confirming my decision to move back to Pentax and in making my initial lens selections. Your thoughtful, knowledgeable comments and posts of amazing pictures -- with very helpful lens data -- informed my purchase judgments immensely. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

In return, I expect to contribute something of value to the Community.

Slide Conversions?
A question if I may: What slide conversion service do you recommend?

Some years back I sent off to a few different services some hundreds of slides for conversion to digital. However, I did not opt for the highest resolution at the time.

Now that the quality of digital photography and my post processing skills have progressed considerably, I would like to have all my best Kodachrome, Ektachrome, and Velvia shots in my digital collection looking their absolute best.

What slide conversion service would you suggest I trust my best historical images to for conversion?

Thanks yet again!

Warmly,

Don

12-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
When you have the K1 you will have the absolute best hi res slide service yourself, once you also find one of these bellows and slide copier devices. They are suited to full frame cameras. I use the old M42 version II with an adapter. A regular 50 or 55mm lens works with them, but a macro 50F4 is the best.

slide copier - Accessory Search - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, Don, and welcome to the forums - glad you could join us.

I'll bet you can't wait to get your hands on that K-1 Although that Olympus gear is excellent - and has some great applications - it's nice to hear you've settled back with Pentax.

I can't offer any help re slide scanning, but I'm sure others will chime in with good advice.

Looking forward to your involvement here
12-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. It's a fun and usually very friendly place to share photos (don't have to be from Pentax cameras, but most probably are). You've already been on the K-1 photo thread, which is a nice place to start. I'm looking forward to your contributions.

Not sure on the slide conversion. I have used the K-1 to "scan" film negatives and it does work better than my (not so great) flatbed scanner, but it does take time and is a somewhat time intensive process.

12-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Australia Don. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you aboard.
12-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DrBop Quote
Santa will bestow a new K-1 upon me
Welcome, who's one very lucky little boy, guess you must have been on the right list then, enjoy that new camera.
12-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

Welcome Don, congratulations for your new K1, and enjoy one of the best sensor around and prepare for some wonderful images ahead of you .

I also have Olympus OMD EM5II(had EM5 and EM1) and pro lenses. The system is great for traveling and very well balanced with great features, build, weight, size and price, but I agree with you though the sensor is already great for its size it's IQ does show limit in low light and when high dynamic range is needed. There is a also an artistic effect about larger sized sensors that just gave a smoother and more pleasing 3D look even you gave both system lenses with similar equivalent focal length and max aperture. I found the IQ difference between APSC and 4/3 sensors both technically and artistically too close to call a worthwhile difference, but full frame definitely yes. So nice move once again.
12-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums.

12-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My best advice on this is to go with a flat bed scanner (one of the best is an Epson flatbed) equipped with the slide/film adapter and use 3000dpi+ resolution and the highest bit colour available - 48 bit is common. Nikon used to have a neat system but I'm not sur if it is still available. Using a Pentax slide copier seems to be too much of a labor intensive proposition by today's standards... if you can even find one. The cost of this compared to a copying service is probably in your favour if you have lot's to do...?
When scanning use a file naming system that you can keep as your master and use it to later change resolution or whatever - just like a RAW file - like: xxx_date of original slide_3000dpi.TIFF or xyz_date of original_master.TIFF or something like that (RAW files are not available outside a camera). Use this TIFF file for final work in post processing and save as required such as: xxx_date of original_240dpi.TIFF or JPEG...?
12-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've scanned hundreds of my old medium-format slides on a high end flat bed scanner (Heidelberg) that I own.

Images from my K1 have much better image quality then my scanned medium format slides do.
12-25-2016, 10:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Your new camera with a macro lens, a light box and a tripod. Takes a few minutes to set up the first slide, after that you can copy about 4 per minute... Compared to the cost of sending the slides out, you should recover the cost of the light box and macro lens. Could even have a small business copying all your friends slides, if you don't get easily bored!

(I used a kindle paperwhite as my lightbox).
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/107-film-processing-scanning-darkroom/269...aperwhite.html
12-25-2016, 11:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For slide conversion service, I'd recommend a lightbox, a DFA 50mm macro lens, a tripod, and a lot of patience. You might as well harness the DR of those 36mp

I used to use snaps in Bournemouth UK for all my negative scanning. Great little company, but probably not much use to you I'm afraid.
12-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I've scanned hundreds of my old medium-format slides on a high end flat bed scanner (Heidelberg) that I own.

Images from my K1 have much better image quality then my scanned medium format slides do.
...well, well, I'll have to try that using my K5IIs, and my lateral arm, and, the 15"x20" Lightbox I made some years ago....! I do a bit of copying but always thought that slides were best copied using Pentax bellows and its slide copier which is hard to find.

Last edited by Rnovo; 12-28-2016 at 06:51 PM.