Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #1

Greetings from Appalachia

Hello all. I look forward to learning from members of the forum as well as contributing insomuch as I am able.

I purchased a K3 II and HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR late last winter prior to beginning a rock shelter survey on the Cumberland Plateau.

During the survey I purchased a FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro lens in the hope of improving my artifact photography.

My latest lens acquisition is a DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM. Iíve used it for nature photography and a tried it out for action photography at sporting events.

Iím probably going to hold off on lens-collecting for the time being in order to put some money back for a K1 setup. Iím not at all unhappy with my K3 II, but I think that a full frame camera would be worth the cost in that it would open up some new opportunities with wide angle and fisheye lenses and maybe a 28mm F3.5 shift lens if I can manage to find one.

12-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, some great pics here. You've built a nice system but the K1 and compatible lenses will give you a chance to spend a whole lot more. Yes, the 28 shift lens is often available but in best condition I see it going for a range of about $500-$600 on ebay.
12-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums! Great lenses, and you certainly get fantastic results with them! I enjoyed your photos very much!
12-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by greenbriar Quote
Iím probably going to hold off on lens-collecting

Excellent, there are a number of Pentaxians roaming back-of-beyond here in the Southern Highlands--be on the lookout for posts from Br'er Mole, especially--but I should warn you that the pull-quote would be considered crazy talk in any conversation you might join in the future.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to your sharing the next "Clovis cache" you turn up--or just shots from the next ball play. (Is that really a "Power T" on the kid's shoulder? Puts the old "little brother to war" in a new context, perhaps.)

12-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Iím probably going to hold off on lens-collecting for the time being
Welcome to the forum, many here have said that, but Mistress LBA seems to have her way...
12-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums - glad you could join us.

Those a great shots... Thanks for sharing them. Looking forward to seeing more, and to your involvement here
12-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. Welcome to the forums.
12-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #8
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Greetings from Appalachia
Hi from Australia greenbriar. Welcome to the Pentax forums. We all try to hold off LBA ( lens buying addiction ), but it is difficult sometimes !!!
Looking forward to seeing more of your images. Your 1st examples are very good. Good to have you aboard.

12-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard.

I have a scraper that is almost identical to that. It was handed down to me from my grandfather. He could walk through a plowed field and spot stone points and tools like they were painted neon orange. Some of the artifacts I have are 5000 years old. He would often just leave them there so someone else might find them some other time.

It's quite a feeling holding something in your hands that is older than the pyramids. Way back in 1980 I worked on a few digs as part of a museum program for adults. Moved a lot of dirt with my Marshalltown trowel. Still have the trowel and use it in my gardens.
01-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
It's quite a feeling holding something in your hands that is older than the pyramids. Way back in 1980 I worked on a few digs as part of a museum program for adults. Moved a lot of dirt with my Marshalltown trowel. Still have the trowel and use it in my gardens.
They donít make íem like they used to. I trawl eBay every now and again looking for old model Marshalltowns. Theyíre a fine tool for sure.

I actually got my first taste of archaeology out your way. Did a field school in Geneva at a Seneca site where the residents of Ganondagan relocated after the Denonville expedition. Thatís some pretty country.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by greenbriar; 01-01-2017 at 08:04 AM. Reason: to replace broken hyperlink w/ an attachment
01-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They donít make íem like they used to. I trawl eBay every now and again looking for old model Marshalltowns. Theyíre a fine tool for sure.

I actually got my first taste of archaeology out your way. Did a field school in Geneva at a Seneca site where the residents of Ganondagan relocated after the Denonville expedition. Thatís some pretty country.
We be neighbors!!!!! The dig I worked on was through the Rochester Museum and Science Center. It was located near Phelps, NY just north of I90 on state route 88. We did a couple of sessions there. The Phelps site was dated to the mid 15th century if I remember right. .

Found a tiny jaw piece with a big tooth. It must have come from "saber tooth mouse" . Not much else other than post holes a few flint chips and fire pits. Only one point found. Plus a large thin area of ash indication at least one building had burned. To let future archaeologists know that we had been there, I wrote out the word Hi! in stones before we backfilled that particular hole.

About 25 years ago an amateur archaeologist excavating a site just north of Seneca Lake on his brother's farm, found the skullcap of a make elk with the antlers still attached. He paid for carbon dating himself and it dated to the middle of the 16th century proving that elk did at one time roam over western NY too. There has been a lot of amateur archaeologists who do work in western NY over the years and keep close contact with the local museums.

Retired now so "have trowel will travel" if you need a body to scrape some dirt 1mm at a time. Plus a bevy of Pentax cameras to record it all.

I recently read two really interesting books. One was titled 1491, The other 1493, One deals with the Americas before Columbus and the other the world since.

You are right. Western NY and the Finger Lakes region is a beautiful place. If it wasn't already populated by a few million people, it would make one awesome national park. The Native American explanation of the ares is that the Finger Lakes are the hand print of God upon the land. I have seen nothing that contradicts this belief.