Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

New to the Pentax world

Hello,

My name is Scott, I'm in my mid 50's, self employed and live in New Hampshire I just purchased a used, one owner White (Storm Trooper version) K50 with a two lens kit. I had considered, Nikon and Olympus but this great deal came up on Craigslist and I couldn't pass it up. I have been using my Nokia Lumia Icon cell phone ( Zies lens,18 mp) to photograph old cars and trucks... primarily focusing on lines, shapes and textures to create quasi abstract art. I recently bought two used prime lenses, DA 55mm 1.8, and a DA 35mm 2.4. Hoping that they will serve me well and bring out the best in the subjects I shoot.
I hope the DSLR world will work for me, as my phone camera has been easy to keep with me as just about all my shots are unplanned spur of the moment. (Got to turn the car around and get that shot before the lighting changes or I forget where to come back to where that old car or truck is in the woods moment). I'm a little intimidated by what will be involved in learning my way around the camera and getting proficient in it's use. Becoming one with it, so to speak at the risk of sounding too Zen.

I have a page on 500px if anyone is interested in checking out a few of my shots. I'm not a professional by any means so you will likely find some deficiencies, You will at least get an idea of what drives me to capture the moment.

scott kratovil photos / 500px or just type Scott Kratovil in the search bar.

I'm looking forward to being a part of the group here and getting to know everybody and hope to be of what ever help I can be to other people.

12-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Scott. Welcome to the Pentax forums, and Pentax equipment. You will have sooooo much more control over your images with a DSLR. Any help you may need is only a question from you away. Good to have you aboard.
12-27-2016, 10:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a good eye, and have done well with your phone camera. Good shots. Of course fancier equipment won't give you a better eye, but may give you better flexibility. 50mm is good for cars, and so is the 35mm. I hope you enjoy the Pentax. I still have my Pentax MX from 1977, and many other Pentax's since.
12-27-2016, 11:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Scott, have you been shooting in JPG or RAW? The lens on the camera phone you use is roughly similar to using a 17mm lens on your k-50. If you have been cropping to get your results then your 35 and 50mm lenses may give you the framing you need with less cropping. But if the approach has been to frame as the camera shows it you may find your lenses are too long. The DA15 lens is likely the closest in terms of the view of the uncropped camera phone you have.
Lastly, if you are using jpg your images are built from a 16mp stored jpg on that Nokia. The large jpg is used to zoom and crop and then a smaller jpg is downsampled from this. This workflow will be a bit different with the dslr. Good luck, your creative eye is quite good.

12-28-2016, 12:11 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to both the forum and Pentax photography.
12-28-2016, 03:53 AM   #6

Welcome! You will find this is a great community. Folks are very helpful here.
12-28-2016, 05:49 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Scott, have you been shooting in JPG or RAW? The lens on the camera phone you use is roughly similar to using a 17mm lens on your k-50. If you have been cropping to get your results then your 35 and 50mm lenses may give you the framing you need with less cropping. But if the approach has been to frame as the camera shows it you may find your lenses are too long. The DA15 lens is likely the closest in terms of the view of the uncropped camera phone you have.
Lastly, if you are using jpg your images are built from a 16mp stored jpg on that Nokia. The large jpg is used to zoom and crop and then a smaller jpg is downsampled from this. This workflow will be a bit different with the dslr. Good luck, your creative eye is quite good.
Thank you guys for the warm welcome.

The camera takes a RAW and JPG for each shot. I work with just the JPG files. Most of the close up photos of the vehicles are shot farther away than they look to give me less distortion and a lot of wiggle room to crop for composition. I spend a few minutes using the on board Lumia editing tools which is quite Spartan but it seems to work to get the look I want. I am excited about the creative possibilities the K50 and lens will allow me to do, gear together , getting familiar with photoshop and other standard editing and post processing tools. I appreciate the positive comments on my style, but more importantly I welcome constructive input on what I could of done better or differently.
12-28-2016, 06:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums Scott, folks are quite friendly and very helpful here, its a great community. First off you have a very creative eye judging from your online photos, the K50 will be a nice unit for you. My first DSLR was the K50 also, the ability to use custom setting will quickly set it apart from the phone camera. Its best to go through the manual to learn every feature of the K50. As for the two primes you bought they are both pretty good lens especially for a new to DSLR photographer, both will work well with the K50. As Uncle Vanya stated you may want to check out the DA15 for a similar field of view that the phone gives.

Good luck

Larry

12-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Based on your comments I'd say you are on the right track. It is difficult to give critical commentary at this point. As you post new things using the k50 it will be important to share your goals for a given shot if you are interested in feedback.

I suggest joining the group Daily in Challenge. You'd likely want a Flickr account to use for this one purpose. The group tries to post a single photo a day from each member and then they provide feedback to one another. It is a sister group to the Single In Challenge which works the same way but limits you to one lens for the entire month (for pictures shared in that group).
12-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, Scott, and welcome to the forums - glad you could join us.

Photography with a DSLR generally requires more thought and understanding to get the best results, but it's definitely worth the effort - and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Looking forward to your involvement here
01-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all the recommendations. I've been reading up and getting familiar with all the camera controls, ordering a bag, cleaning kit, tripod etc and getting an understanding of how ISO, shutter speed, and aperture work and function together. I will be subscribing to Adobe Cloud to get LR and PS after my trial runs out. For a break in learning the technical side of shooting, I started perusing "the Essence of Photography" by Bruce Barnbaum . I still feel a little overwhelmed by all the information, but I am trying to be kind to myself and realized I need to pace myself. I want to focus on having fun and not let myself get discouraged by the tedious learning curve of equipment and post processing.