Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The Sy 24 isn't small and I believe it lacks a stop at infinity on the focus ring. I can excuse an autofocusing lens for this but I can't imaging liking it when using a manual lens.

Sy has a 20mm that I haven't read any reviews of yet on a Pentax body. It sounds nice and could be just what you're looking for. Sadly it seems to be the only 20mm full frame lens you can buy new today. There's older Sigma 20 AF lenses as well as Voigtlander MF lenses that seem quite nice on the K-1. There's also the currently sold new Sigma 15mm fisheye but another forum member tried one on his K-1 and was quite disappointed with edge performance for every reason imaginable.

One option, and this is probably as popular as liver flavored ice cream, is to get a DA15 Ltd. and see what you think of shooting with it in the crop modes as well as full frame (I know this means you have to crop in post, and that's added workload). It's decently sharp, very small, and seems very well made. The older SMC versions also produce amazing starbursts if that's your thing. They don't flare.
Yeah, the Samyang 20mm sounds ideal at 1.8 for the time being. I'm always reluctant to get a lens before a decent amount of reviews have been given and a dxomark score. Not a big fan of starburst but have found it nice in some shots, can't say I've actively gone for that result often, which is strange considering I love shooting into the sun. These limiteds get a load of attention so I'll be sure to check it out.

---------- Post added 01-16-17 at 10:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Landscapes require a lot of versatility of focal length. Because of a unique view we want to capture, changing position to get closer changes the view (perspective, but also what's in the frame), and versatility of the lens to frame is very useful to have. Also, have having the complete scene in acceptable focus means stopping down the lens to at least f8, f11, f16, f22.The DFA28-105 is the lens to have to landscapes.
Yeah, I love having versatility in lenses. One of the reason I chose the Pentax is for the in built stability. I love shooting on the fly and can use up the whole 300mm focal length regularly. Although I do tend to stay away from the far edges to avoid CA and distortion

01-17-2017, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, once you established your favourite focal length for landscapes, remember the are many fine prime lenses out there which will be more than perfect for the job too.
01-17-2017, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, Rob, and welcome to the forums.

Congratulations on the K-1 - great choice. You're already getting good advice on lenses, so I won't jump in with any more!

Looking forward to your involvement here
01-17-2017, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello, Rob, and welcome to the forums.

Congratulations on the K-1 - great choice. You're already getting good advice on lenses, so I won't jump in with any more!

Looking forward to your involvement here
Thanks Mike. Looking forward to using the camera. I've just had delivery of the Pentax 15-30 today. It's very heavy but I like that. Feels really nice and the movement of the focus and focal length feels nice and smooth. Looking into a 150mm filter set now. I love long exposures so looking at a big stopper and I think a polarizer for now. Maybe a ND grad as well