Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2017, 06:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-1 lens for landscape

Hi everyone. I've just been agonising over which camera to upgrade to (nikon d810 vs Pentax K-1) I eventually went for the K-1 because it seems like an amazing camera for the money. I was a little worried about the lens lineup but after some research found enough good lenses to cover my needs

The problem is that I now can't find any normal zoom lenses for full frame that I had initially sought out. I was going to buy a tamron 28-300 as I had found it for 100 and thought I had that area covered. I have already bought the pentax 15-30mm and couldn't be happier. My plan was to buy a zoom lens that could stop quite low (24mm) and could take filters and then all my bases were covered.

Has anyone got an idea of a decent lens covering from 24mm upwards for landscape photography for around 400-500. Ideally but not essentially 2.8f and works ok in low light

Thank you in advance for anyone wiling to give me some advice

Rob

01-16-2017, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robalabob Quote
Hi everyone. I've just been agonising over which camera to upgrade to (nikon d810 vs Pentax K-1) I eventually went for the K-1 because it seems like an amazing camera for the money. I was a little worried about the lens lineup but after some research found enough good lenses to cover my needs

The problem is that I now can't find any normal zoom lenses for full frame that I had initially sought out. I was going to buy a tamron 28-300 as I had found it for 100 and thought I had that area covered. I have already bought the pentax 15-30mm and couldn't be happier. My plan was to buy a zoom lens that could stop quite low (24mm) and could take filters and then all my bases were covered.

Has anyone got an idea of a decent lens covering from 24mm upwards for landscape photography for around 400-500. Ideally but not essentially 2.8f and works ok in low light

Thank you in advance for anyone wiling to give me some advice

Rob
Hello and congratulations for the K-1, I have also bought it recently and I'm very happy with it, I think you will be also.

Seems to me you have to choose between the DFA 24-70 f/2.8 (currently 1100 at SRS) and DFA 28-105 f/3.5-5.6 (currently 550). I went for the first one, but I didn't have anything at the wide end and also I sometimes need f/2.8. You can go for the 28-105 I guess, IQ is said to be almost the same.

01-16-2017, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums! Nice camera and lens!
I have already bought the pentax 15-30mm and couldn't be happier.
I don't understand this. Why above 24mm? The 15-30mm is pretty amazing by all reports, right up to 30mm. You can get the DA 40mm limited (SMC, XS (affordable, but less convenient), or new HD version) or FA 50mm f1.4 if you need slightly longer than 30mm. I take quite a few landscapes with DA 40mm XS and DFA 100mm WR on my APSC cameras. If the DA 40mm is not FF-compatible (many say that it is), you can get the really popular FA 43mm f1.9. People love the FA limited lenses for portraiture, wonderful character, and high sharpness. And with digital PP, CA is not a problem.

Some more tools that might help you can be found here:
Full Frame Lenses between 31mm and 78mm | PentaxForums.com
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-f...ts-thread.html

And feel free to post some photos to the forum I'd love to see some K-1 landscapes!
01-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
Cheers for your options. I'm very close to getting the 28-105 right now. If the money was there I'd go for the 24-70 without even thinking about it. All I'd need then is the 70-200 and a couple of fast primes and I wouldn't need another lens for a long time.

The reason I want a lens that can go down to roughly 24mm with a zoom upto 70 and above is for it versatility in the field. I take a lot of shots with filters and really enjoy using long exposure times. getting a filter set for the 15-30 will cost around 600 for the holder and 3-4 filters. With the 24-70mm I can get away with most fiter situations by using circular threaded filters. I usually enjoy framing in camera and regularly use up all of the focal length of a 200mm lens.

I will be sure to come back here when I have my pentax up and running and I know how to work all its settings. I'm really looking forward to using it in low light and general use around Anglesey in North wales. I also have a trip to Iceland in Febuary which is why I chose now to upgrade my camera. I've been using an apc Sony Nex-5 up until now so I am chomping at the bit to get using a full frame

01-16-2017, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma had a 24-70 2.8 and a more rare 24-60 2.8. From what I have seen the 24-60 might be a hair better but I am sure it is debatable. I think either one could do the job until you finally get a Pentax 24-70. I see a few Sigma 24-70 for Pentax for sale on EBay.

Another option is to get the old Pentax FA*24mm f2 which has an absolutely gorgeous rendering for landscapes, and compliment that with the Pentax DFA 28-105 for added flexibility. This would also provide an alternative in look and feel from the 15-30 in the 24mm focal length that is so important for landscapes.

Or you could just get the DFA 28-105 for now since the 15-30 already has the lower focal range covered...
01-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Sigma had a 24-70 2.8 and a more rare 24-60 2.8. From what I have seen the 24-60 might be a hair better but I am sure it is debatable. I think either one could do the job until you finally get a Pentax 24-70. I see a few Sigma 24-70 for Pentax for sale on EBay.

Another option is to get the old Pentax FA*24mm f2 which has an absolutely gorgeous rendering for landscapes, and compliment that with the Pentax DFA 28-105 for added flexibility.
I'll have a look into the pentax FA24mm thanks. I've been a bit confused loking at the old lenses. I hear a load of good things about them but couldn't find anything about their compatibility with the K-1 and full frame sensor
01-16-2017, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FA means full frame, film era lenses, and they cover the sensor in the K-1. DFA is full frame and "designed for digital" although that seems a little buzzwordy. DA means not meant for full frame BUT some of the DA lenses still cover the full image circle of a full frame sensor. DA40, DA40XS, DA*55 all come to mind and I know there's more.

You know what I'd do? I'd get a 40XS and a 28-105. When you want small and you feel like "normal", these are great options that I think are pretty inexpensive for the images you can get out of them and the usefullness of those focal lengths. Something I think is pretty cool that folks here have figured out is the crop to full frame mod for the DA60-250 for folks wanting more reach.
01-16-2017, 08:50 AM - 3 Likes   #8

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help. I think I'm a bit more in tune with what lenses will work. I'm really interested in these Limited lenses especially. I've just bought a 28-105 and should have at least one 20-30mm 1.4/1.8 prime in a few days. This lens will be a good all rounder but I think I'll be using the 15-30 more often as I love doing wide angle portrait framed landscapes like the image attached. This was taken with my current apc camera that has 14mp so not sure how I will cope with all the extra detail I'm going to get. I am however more than willing to take on the workload involved as I'm a sucker for fine detail

Attached Images

01-16-2017, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curious what "20-30 1.4/18 prime" lens you have coming. You don't seem afraid of spending a bit to get a nice lens. I like your landscape beach shot and look forward to seeing what you get out of the K-1.
01-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Curious what "20-30 1.4/18 prime" lens you have coming. You don't seem afraid of spending a bit to get a nice lens. I like your landscape beach shot and look forward to seeing what you get out of the K-1.
Haven't got one bought yet but think I've seen a samyang 24mm 1.4 prime around 400-500 or look into the s4mm AF 2f mentioned by ChristianRock above. Don't know enough about these yet so I'm holding until I do some more research. At the moment I have a pentax 15-30 and the pentax 28-105. Will be looking to getting a wide angle prime in the next week once I find one suitable. Then eventually look at getting the 24-70 and 70-200. Once I've got these I'll start looking into the Limited lenses but for the time being I don't know enough about them to call them essential.

---------- Post added 01-16-17 at 10:58 AM ----------

Pentax Full-Frame And APS-C Lenses This article may be a help to someone other than me also. I can't account for the accuracy of it but it seems decent
01-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a lot of folks looking at wider lens options for the K-1. This is one area where Pentax was really left flat footed. Other discussion threads may help you figure out a plan. There is the Sy 24mm as well as the old Pentax FA*24. If you're okay with buying used, and aren't afraid of manual focus (seems like you aren't as you mentioned the Samyang) then there's a lot of options. There's also supposed to be a prime or two on the way in the next year or two that should help in this area; what they are is anyone's guess, and the few who might know aren't telling the rest of us.
01-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At the moment I have a pentax 15-30 and the pentax 28-105. Will be looking to getting a wide angle prime in the next week once I find one suitable.
Unless you feel you absolutely need a prime or you like the particular rendering of the FA 24, I suggest you to wait. Between the 15-30 and the 28-105, you have the wide range covered. The IQ of 15-30 is probably above any existing primes. But... Pentax will release a wide-angle prime for full frame this year, you might wanna save money and go for that. I expect it should be better than the FA 24.

I had a similar choice to make. In the end, I skipped FA 24 and Sammy 14 altogether and went for the 24-70 (more flexible than 15-30 considering my shooting style). Now I'm waiting for the new wide angle prime. The IQ of the 24-70 is ok for me I guess, but I'm expecting better flare resistance from the new-to-be-released prime.
01-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
There's a lot of folks looking at wider lens options for the K-1. This is one area where Pentax was really left flat footed. Other discussion threads may help you figure out a plan. There is the Sy 24mm as well as the old Pentax FA*24. If you're okay with buying used, and aren't afraid of manual focus (seems like you aren't as you mentioned the Samyang) then there's a lot of options. There's also supposed to be a prime or two on the way in the next year or two that should help in this area; what they are is anyone's guess, and the few who might know aren't telling the rest of us.
No I'm ok with manuals. Auto focus is nice but if I were to get more detail and less distortion from a manual lens I'd chose that no problem. Editing CA and distortion are way more annoying than finding focus haha.

---------- Post added 01-16-17 at 11:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Unless you feel you absolutely need a prime or you like the particular rendering of the FA 24, I suggest you to wait. Between the 15-30 and the 28-105, you have the wide range covered. The IQ of 15-30 is probably above any existing primes. But... Pentax will release a wide-angle prime for full frame this year, you might wanna save money and go for that. I expect it should be better than the FA 24.

I had a similar choice to make. In the end, I skipped FA 24 and Sammy 14 altogether and went for the 24-70 (more flexible than 15-30 considering my shooting style). Now I'm waiting for the new wide angle prime. The IQ of the 24-70 is ok for me I guess, but I'm expecting better flare resistance from the new-to-be-released prime.
Good point. I heard they were looking to extend their range with some primes this year so I'm interested in seeing what they bring to the table. I'd love to see a 20mm 1.4 like the sigma art lenses.
01-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Sy 24 isn't small and I believe it lacks a stop at infinity on the focus ring. I can excuse an autofocusing lens for this but I can't imaging liking it when using a manual lens.

Sy has a 20mm that I haven't read any reviews of yet on a Pentax body. It sounds nice and could be just what you're looking for. Sadly it seems to be the only 20mm full frame lens you can buy new today. There's older Sigma 20 AF lenses as well as Voigtlander MF lenses that seem quite nice on the K-1. There's also the currently sold new Sigma 15mm fisheye but another forum member tried one on his K-1 and was quite disappointed with edge performance for every reason imaginable.

One option, and this is probably as popular as liver flavored ice cream, is to get a DA15 Ltd. and see what you think of shooting with it in the crop modes as well as full frame (I know this means you have to crop in post, and that's added workload). It's decently sharp, very small, and seems very well made. The older SMC versions also produce amazing starbursts if that's your thing. They don't flare.
01-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Landscapes require a lot of versatility of focal length. Because of a unique view we want to capture, changing position to get closer changes the view (perspective, but also what's in the frame), and versatility of the lens to frame is very useful to have. Also, have having the complete scene in acceptable focus means stopping down the lens to at least f8, f11, f16, f22.The DFA28-105 is the lens to have to landscapes.