Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #1

Hello! Should I keep my K-50???

Hi everyone! Excited to be a part of the community!. I'm a complete novice and am looking to start my photography hobby with some classes. With that being said, maybe we didn't do enough research on our first DSLR. Ont he forums here, it appears that there is a serious problem with the K/30/50. Something with the aperture mechanism. We just received our K/50 from Amazon and wanted to get anyone's opinion on if we should return and purchase another Pentax or another camera. The camera will be used for outdoor photography here in central Florida on a hobby basis. Our should we just take our chances with the warranty if something goes south? Thanks for any input!!!

01-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its a small % of K50s that are affected.....if you use the new 55-300plm it doesn't matter, and lenses prior to the DA series have a manual aperture ring that you can adjust.

Theres a thread on here how to fix the problem IF it occurs,as well.

K50 is great value for $$$$.
01-16-2017, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that's a pretty good camera. I would only return it if it starts to develop problems. You have warranty, right?
Also, remember that a DSLR is not forever. Technology is quickly evolving, so in some years you will likely be buying a new one anyway. The K-50 is a good place to start and learn, has lots of functions, looks cool, good viewfinder,..

People who have a faulty camera come to the forum, which can give a false impression that everyone has a problem. But there are plenty of people who aren't complaining about the K-50, who are just out there happily snapping away.
01-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forum!

the K-50 is a great camera - I have over 20K shots on my K-50 and I use side-by-side with my K-3 on a regular basis...

I would definitely suggest an extended warranty - not for the aperture block issue, but just because it's an expensive piece of equipment and a warranty can help get it repaired or replaced if something goes wrong....

01-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have 2 K-50 bodes. One has about 22,000 shots & the other one about 17,000 shots. No issues yet. Both of them were manufactured in November of 2014. My guess is that they would have failed by now if they had been affected by the issue.

You can always step up to a K-70 or K-3II if you're worried about the eventual failure, if it even happens at all. That or jump to a different manufacturer altogether, but if you get something else at a similar price point from Nikon or Canon, you won't be getting a 100% coverage pentaprism optical viewfinder, weather sealing, 2 control dials, & 1/6000 shutter speed that the K-50 has. Their entry level & midrange cameras cameras (i.e. Canon Rebel series, Nikon D3xxx, & D5xxx series) lack those basic features. You gotta pay more to play with those features (i.e.: Nikon D7200, Canon 70D, Canon 80D, etc.). You'll notice that the bodies alone start at about $800.
01-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Australia Terri. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Excellent advice already given, so I will just say " Hi " and good to have you here.
01-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But there are plenty of people who aren't complaining about the K-50, who are just out there happily snapping away.

^^^ this ^^^
01-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the friendly welcome!!! I appreciate the opinions/advice and I'll be on here frequently keeping you updated!! Look forward to learning!!!

01-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I almost wish I could find a Pentax with a bad aperture block for cheap so I could then have a designated M42-adapted body...
01-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If possible you could add a 3rd party warranty like Square Trade. If you are still in the period when that is allowed.
This would cost little but give additional peace of mind and allow you to enjoy the camera without worrying. The percentage of problems is totally unknown - we all speculate that it is low based on the limited data we have but we don't know. My own K-50 died in about 8 months and then was repaired under warranty. I used it another year or so after repair and then upgraded to a K-3 for reasons that had nothing to do with the reliability or output of the camera.
01-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K30. It developed the issue after over 3 years of shooting. I had it repaired. Very reasonable cost for the repair. The K30/50's are very good cameras. I wouldn't worry about the problem unless it shows up. It very well may never happen. If by chance it does It can be repaired. Several threads on here about how to do it yourself or the person in CA. that does it. I recommend taking the camera and enjoy learning and using it.
01-17-2017, 01:15 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, whilst I've read about this issue here, I'm led to believe it's only in a few cases, enjoy your new camera.
01-17-2017, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, Terri, and welcome aboard - good to have you with us.

As others have said, the reports suggest it's a pretty low number of cameras that have been affected. In your position, since you bought the camera new and you're covered by warranty, I'd simply enjoy the camera. It's a very capable bit of kit.

Looking forward to your involvement here