Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 07:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Toronto

H Everyone,

After researching the various brands of cameras, I bought a K-3ii just about a year ago. Prior to picking up the K-3ii, I had no experience with photography and this site has helped a great deal with so many forum members offering great advice. The lenses I mainly use are the 18-135 WR, Tammy 70-200 2.8 and a Samyang 16/F2. I was looking to get a bit more reach without breaking the bank so I went to the local camera shop and ordered the new 55-300 PLM. When the lens came in, I went to the shop and attached it to the K-3ii and it would not autofocus at all. I had updated the firmware to version 1.10 months ago. Could it be the firmware upgrade didn't take properly? Is the lens just DOA? Has anybody else had this kind of experience with a new lens? I have another one on order and hopefully it will arrive this week.

Thanks, Mark.

01-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Mark! Could you check in the K3ii's menu what it thinks it's firmware version is? I wonder if someone else here could chime in and say whether you can reinstall the same firmware version safely, worth a shot if so.
01-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rmc63 Quote
so I went to the local camera shop and ordered the new 55-300 PLM. When the lens came in, I went to the shop and attached it to the K-3ii and it would not autofocus at all. I had updated the firmware to version 1.10 months ago. Could it be the firmware upgrade didn't take properly? Is the lens just DOA? Has anybody else had this kind of experience with a new lens? I have another one on order and hopefully it will arrive this week.

Thanks, Mark.
Welcome. There are a few Canadian Pentaxians on this forum, including some from Toronto.

You have the correct firmware version 1.10 to operate the PLM lenses. However you might want to confirm that it installed properly by doing the following:

How to check version

[1] Turn ON the camera.
[2] Press MENU button to display MENU screen.
[3] Press the four-way controller right to display [Set-up 4] menu screen.
[4] Select [Firmware Info/Options] in the [Set-up 4] menu then press the four-way controller right.
The firmware version for camera is displayed on the [Firmware Info/Options] screen.
01-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I checked the menu and the firmware version is indeed 1.10.

01-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're the first to actually try a PLM lens on a K-3 as far as I know, so we're all interested in how this turns out. Unfortunately for you I'm just throwing my name in the thread so I can see where it goes and have exactly zero insight into the problem.

I'm still thinking even owning a Tamron 300 3.8, a DA* 200 and a DA*60-250, I'd like a lens small enough and light enough to fit in my (big baggy) pocket and the 55-300 images have totally impressed me.
01-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi from MO. Two thoughts, well 3, on your lens.
1. Have you cleaned the connectors on the camera and the lens? Some people use a pencil eraser to do that.
2. Have you tried the lens on another camera? Maybe your dealer can help you.
3. I'd think you'd want to post this here so more of us can take a look at your problem.
Troubleshooting and Beginner Help - PentaxForums.com

Good luck, and again welcome!

Jack
01-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums. Checking the contacts, making sure AF is on, making sure the lens is completely screwed on, and testing on another camera are all good options, some already having been mentioned.

01-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, hope you get your issues swiftly resolved.
01-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #9
Closed Account

Hi from Australia Mark. Welcome to the Pentax forums. I saw on your other thread that you are waiting on another copy of your lens, so good luck with it.
Good to have you aboard.
01-31-2017, 12:54 AM   #10

I would try it on another camera if it works it rules out lens if not then its either lens or firmware