Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2017, 01:51 AM   #1

Is there a difference between pentax models internationally?

I'm looking to buy a nice budget SLR. My choices are between the K-30, K-S1, and the K-50 (though I'm hearing there is little difference between the K-30 and K-50 other than low light performance and performance with darker objects). But I found a Japanese K-50 for sale for almost a hundred dollars less than the USA K-50 and fifty dollars less than the USA K-30. It's so tempting, so I really wanna know, is there a difference between the pentax models from country to country? In the USA listing the K-50 has an Optical Viewfinder, but in the listing for the Japanese import, it says it has an Electric one. Is this correct? Here's the link for the listing:

amazon.com : Pentax K-50 16MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with DA L 18-55mm WR f3.5-5.6 Lens (Black) - International Version : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
(Japan Import)

amazon.com : Pentax K-50 16MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with DA L 18-55mm WR f3.5-5.6 Lens (Black) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
(USA)

Thanks in advance for any responses.

02-13-2017, 01:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's no physical difference, but Japan market cameras may have a different language pack. You'd want to check which language options the Japan import one comes with.
02-13-2017, 02:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
Oh. That's a relief. If it's just the language then I'm okay with that. I'm actually learning the language.

Thanks MarkJerling.
02-13-2017, 02:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're most welcome.

02-13-2017, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There shouldn't be any difference between the k30 and k50 apart from looks and some minor menu features. Both were discontinued a while ago, so amazon prices tend to be higher relative to current models.

Anyway, there's no physical difference, but be aware that these may be grey market listings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2017, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #6

Like Adam said they are grey market so good luck if some thing goes wrong as no warranty ( I guess if some thing happened you would have to send it back to Japan)
02-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't Ricoh have worldwide warranty?
Also, there are regional settings, but I think all models offer English. You can change that in the debug mode.

02-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #8

Well I know here in Oz if you get a grey import camera & something goes wrong the importers CR Kennedy wont touch them .
02-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Lots of good replies, so I'll just say welcome to the forum.
02-13-2017, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Also, there are regional settings, but I think all models offer English. You can change that in the debug mode.
There is no worldwide warranty, at least none that are honored in the USA.

Each country has their own local Ricoh corporation. Ricoh USA has no obligation to repair a camera that was originally sold to a dealer by Ricoh Japan. Camera has to be shipped to Japan for service.
02-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Thanks for the response. In the forum I'm learning that they most likely discontinued the worldwide warranty. I'm waiting for Ricoh to get back to me on that.

---------- Post added 02-18-17 at 04:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Lots of good replies, so I'll just say welcome to the forum.
Thanks.

---------- Post added 02-18-17 at 04:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There shouldn't be any difference between the k30 and k50 apart from looks and some minor menu features. Both were discontinued a while ago, so amazon prices tend to be higher relative to current models.

Anyway, there's no physical difference, but be aware that these may be grey market listings.
I'm seeing you're right. And I can get a good warranty on both, so maybe I should just go with better deal.
Thanks for your response.

---------- Post added 02-18-17 at 04:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
Well I know here in Oz if you get a grey import camera & something goes wrong the importers CR Kennedy wont touch them .
Gray market deals are a gamble. . . That's why I'm considering the k30 more. Especially since Adam cleared up that there is little difference between the k50 and k30. It's more of personal preference, so I'll do a little bit more research before making the plunge, considering they're both discontinued items.

Thanks.