Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2017, 03:53 AM   #1

Pentax Film User, Looking To Move Into Digital

Hi Guys,

I've made alot of memories with the K1000 but now looking to move into the digital age. Funnily enough, the K-S1 and K-S2 are tempting me at the moment over the more traditional DSLR's in the Pentax range. Is the K-S2 a significant improvement over the K-S1?

Also, how easy is it to use my old Pentax lenses? Is there focus peaking or another method of lining up focus?

Any help much appreciated :-)

02-16-2017, 04:39 AM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia. Welcome to the Pentax forums. The lenses you have for your K1000 will work well on your new Pentax body. Focus peaking in live view is a valuable aid for focusing manually, as you will find out !! Good to have you aboard.
02-16-2017, 05:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums and to Digital.

The K-S2 is a very different beast, and unlike the K-S1 it is weather resistant when used with the appropriate modern lenses (no film-era lenses offer this, so don't risk it!).

If I were choosing between those two alone, I would get the K-S2 for that reason.

For reference: here is how you use all your current lenses on a Pentax DSLR, when you eventually get one.
02-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not familiar with those two cameras, so I'll just say welcome to the forum.

02-16-2017, 06:17 AM   #5

Image-wise I believe the K-S1 and K-S2 have the same sensor.

Handling-wise the K-S2 is larger with a more traditional Pentax DSLR hand grip. However the K-S1 will be closer to the handling of the K1000.

The K-S2 has more features - controls, flip LCD, WiFi, NFC as well as those noted above.
02-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More generally - I moved comparatively late (about 8 years ago) to digital and I'll say this - from my experience at least - it's a bigger jump in some ways that you think - simply because so many more options (like changing ISO from shot to shot) are available. Also - jpegs are like machine prints, RAW is like developing your own - and getting to grips with the software - what it can do for your pictures and what you it can do but isn't a good idea - is also another learning curve. Going from full manual to fully automated is another thing that takes getting used to (though I, at least had a number of intermediate steps with increasingly automated film cameras) - but starting off in full manual mode is probably worth considering for important images until you get used to the decisions the camera makes.

As to the two cameras mentioned, I've never used either, but most people, I think, find the KS-2 a more rounded performer - and probably a little bit more traditional, so closer in feel to what you are used to. Welcome anyway - I loved film, but the future is digital, and I wouldn't go back - except maybe to dust off the old 67
07-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by minglukhan Quote
Hi Guys,

I've made alot of memories with the K1000 but now looking to move into the digital age. Funnily enough, the K-S1 and K-S2 are tempting me at the moment over the more traditional DSLR's in the Pentax range. Is the K-S2 a significant improvement over the K-S1?

Also, how easy is it to use my old Pentax lenses? Is there focus peaking or another method of lining up focus?

Any help much appreciated :-)
Don't go stay with film. We need film guys to keep film alive.

I'm just poking fun. If you go digital go digital. As for me I know nothing of digital. I just a die hard film guy.
Hippie
07-10-2017, 02:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Pentax DSLRs are great. If you use APSC, you will find manual focus ( with older lenses ) quite challenging and then a camera with focus peaking would be useful. It would be a pity if you cannot use your old lenses properly.

I changed to DSLR from K1000 never looked back. Only problems is focus and sensor dust, but can be managed

Welcome here