Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #1

New to Pentax and First DSLR

I made the plunge earlier this year and purchased the Pentax K100D Super. I also bought the Pentax 75-300 for zoom. This was the camera recommended to me at the camera shop I purchased it at. I felt I got a good deal. I received $50 dollars off the day of purchase and $100 mail in rebate, then he also gave me $20 off the 75-300. I haven't strayed away from shooting in Auto for indoors and Program mostly outdoors. But maybe having found this site I can learn more. Another small DSLR Hobby forum I belong to, everyone has a cannon and Photoshop Elements or CS3 for post processing. I only have Paint Shop Pro 9, so I haven't really done any post processing on any photos I've taken. I would like to learn from other Pentax users. I photograph mostly my own kids. I don't have any studio type stuff for Portrait style pictures, so I do alot of snapshot photos. If anyone has any useful info for me, that would be great. Or if you care to chat via Yahoo I am on there quite a bit. I look forward to wondering around here and getting to know you. This is my very first post I also was wondering what batteries you recommend for the best life(AA). Thanks so much.

08-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well welcome to the forums.

In my K100D Super I use the CR-V3 batteries (non-rechargable). According to the manual I should have gotten about 730 exposures from a set but I actually got around 900. I know a lot of people use the AA Lithium rechargeable but I just prefer the CR-V3.

I can't really help with post processing as I'm new to digital myself and still learning.

Again, welcome,
CW
08-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the board and Pentax in general! I too have a K100D Super that is my first DSLR. For post processing I think keeping in mind your experience and type of shots I would download Picasa and give that a try. It is a small quick program to help you make general tweaks to correct small things with your photos. For more advanced processing I use Lightzone (LightZone : Advanced photo editing made simple) and find it intuitive and easy to use.

Now on the subject of batteries. If you do a search you will find a ton of threads on the subject. However here are the rechargables that I find work best for me:

1. Sanyo Eneloops - Hybrid low discharge batteries. I have 12 AA and 8 AAA versions. I used these in almost anything in my house that needs batteries
2. Ray-O-Vac Hybrids - Again low discharge hybridge recharagble batteries. I have 4 that I bought at a Target while on vaction when my first set of Eneloops died.

Welcome and good shooting!
08-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome mommy,

I started off with a K100D and also loved the journey of learning more about dSLR photography it provided me. In Australia, Eneloops and CR-V3 batteries are less available, so I relied on Inca 2700mAh rated AA NiMH rechargeables. They gave me a solid year and a half of 500+ shots on my K100D before they started showing signs of tiredness...

08-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum :-)

Wow a shop that actually recommended the Pentax. fantastic!! They really are the best bang for your buck though and you now have the pleasure of being part of a rather unique community.

I absolutely love shooting child portraits. Unfortunately I've moved a long distance away from my major source of models (aka my nieces and nephews) but I still try and shoot friends kids whenever I get the chance.

Best tip I'd give you is to get outside with them as often as you can. Swings, trampoline, just general backyard or park play. You'll get the most out of your lens in the light that way.

After school as the sun is getting lower is a great time.

Try to step back and use the zoom so that you blur the background. Also speaking of background... before you press the button, scan the whole viewfinder to see what is going to be in the frame. Just doing some simple things like this will turn your snapshots into candid portraits in no time.

Check out my flickr. If you have a flickr account let me know and I'll add you to my contacts so you can see more of my portrait sets.

I was in the same spot as you a few years ago with my learning curve :-)

Oh... as for batteries, I agree with the other posters that the Sanyo Eneloops (or other low discharge) batteries are the way to go.

See you around.

Troy
08-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Another vote for the Sanyo Eneloops, OR, the Ray O Vac Hybrids, Circuit city carries the Eneloops, and Wal Mart USED to carry the Ray O Vacs. Nice to see another local on here !!
08-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #7

Any UK-based K100D (Super) users?
I've just bought a K100D Super (not received it yet) and I'm wondering what batteries to use. I can buy AAs @ £1.50 for 4 Alkaline, or rechargeable AAs from £5 to £12 for 4 and a charger from £5 to £35 (the more expensive ones promise faster recharging).
CR-V3 non-rechargeables seem to cost from £5 to £10 each (£10 to £20 per camera set).
Typical price for a CR-V3 rechargeable (including charger which also works off 12v car) is £20-£30 (£40 to £60 for a camera set), and, of course you need a 'spare' set (£25) though you could carry a set of AAs to use whilst you recharge).
So, I can start off using the supplied (non-rechargeable) AAs and carry a spare set for £1.50, pay £10 to £47 for one set of rechargeable AAs (a second set would only cost £5 to £12 as I'd already have the charger), or invest in a set of CR-V3s for £40 to £60 and carry a set of AAs for £1.50 (favourite choice) or spare CR-V3s for £25.

The rechargeable Li-Ion CRV3s are rated at 1300 mAh, whereas AAs are available from 700 mAh up to 2700 mAh - does this make a significant difference in battery life (Ni-Mh AAs are 'only' 1.2 volts)?

Oh, and AAs take up to 8 hours to recharge (and seem mainly to require mains power), whereas the CR-V3s take 2.5 hours (and an be charged in-car). Looks like it's a bit of a no-brainer really . . .

Although there is this:- Great Digital Deals - Uniross 1 Hour Sprint Battery Charger & 4 x 2700 AA's

08-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Li-ion RCR-V3 in a K100D Super

I'm using rechargeable Li-ion RCR-V3 in my K100D Super. No problems.

I've got Sanyo Eneloops (8 for $15.97 USD) but I've not tried them yet. I also bought a 4-cell AA/AAA smart recharger (La Crosse BC-900 - $38.97 USD including a set of 4x2700Mah AA + 4x800mAH AAA) and I'm finding it really good for independently charging & monitoring the performance of the range of Ni-Mh batteries I've got.

However, in the same order I bought a Moby Power 2300 Li-ion charger + 1160mAH rechargeable Li-ion RCR-V3 battery pack (with battery) and a separate battery pack to make up the two packs required for a K100D Super. The cost in USD from Thomas Distributing was $24.97 for the charger + battery and the extra battery was $14.97.

Now I know that the Pentax manual advises you not to use rechargeable RCR-V3 Li-ion batteries. Some of these are 3.6V and too high for reliable use in the camera. The brand I bought (Moby Power) are rated at 3V and actually measure 3.3V and my camera has no problems with them. Beware of some of the stuff on eBay that says 3V. Unless it specifically says "regulated 3V" or states the specific output voltage, stay clear. By the way, rechargeable Li-ion RCR-V3 cells have a charge end that is separate from the use end. The charge end measures higher (3.8V-4.2V). When I measured the charge end after charging, I got quite a shock at the high voltage and thought these would fry the camera. Then I realised that these cells have two different ends in the double-cell pack and are keyed and the charge end is recessed so only the lower voltage 3v-3.3V end powers the camera.

The problem with standard Ni-MH is that they sag in voltage in use and, on my camera at least, within a 100 or so shots has the metering showing low. (I think there is some variability in the cut-off point in individual K100D-type cameras.) That's why I wanted to try Li-ion. There's hardly any sag in voltage over the battery's life. I charge them every month or two but that's not really out of need.

With regulated Li-ion batteries, the battery voltage won't sag at all until the end, so you can't go buy the camera battery metering which will be full scale until they're empty. How many shots? I 'dont know, but it seems a lot to me. I've used the Eneloops as backups once while I was recharging the Li-ion but I don't see the need to change.

The Li-ion battery pack is a lighter than 2 Ni-MH AAs and a bit more convenient to change too.

By the way, I'm in Australia and both the La Crosse & the Moby Power chargers are 100-240V switching power supplies so for non-US buyers all you need is a plug adapter that Thomas sells for $2.97 USD.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 08-12-2008 at 05:45 PM.
08-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #9

Thank-you, dosdan - though you've added an extra thought to my consideration.
I'd (almost) decided to go for AAs (being cheaper - £20 initial and £10 per additional set) but I'm concerned that the voltage (2.4 vs 3.0) might, as you suggest, result in a loss of some features as the voltage reduces.
I can buy one set of CR-V3 rechargeables for £28 (only one charger) and only use AAs whilst the CR-V3s are recharging, but with only one charger it'll take 5 hours (not something you can do during a shoot).
With the Li-Ion dedicated battery for my Kodak I carry two spares (no chance of recharging in-car). To do that with CR-V3s is starting to get expensive (£54 for batteries alone!)

I guess I'll hang fire and use AAs to begin with until I find out how the voltage stacks up - then I'll probably 'invest' in a set of CR-V3s . . .

(Prices are falling as I find better deals.)
08-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G-CPTN Quote
I guess I'll hang fire and use AAs to begin with until I find out how the voltage stacks up - then I'll probably 'invest' in a set of CR-V3s . . .

(Prices are falling as I find better deals.)
If you're going the AA route, make sure you get the low self-discharge type e.g. Eneloops. Although lower mAH-rated than the standard Ni-MH, they have a flatter voltage curve that suits the K100D-series better. The same with LI-ion, even though 1160mAH appear pathetic compared to Ni-MH, that's not the way it works in practice in this particular application.

Last edited by dosdan; 08-11-2008 at 05:50 PM.
08-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Welcome...

from newb to newb

08-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haha!
Nice capture too Clicker...
08-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by G-CPTN Quote
Any UK-based K100D (Super) users?
I've just bought a K100D Super (not received it yet) and I'm wondering what batteries to use. I can buy AAs @ £1.50 for 4 Alkaline, or rechargeable AAs from £5 to £12 for 4 and a charger from £5 to £35 (the more expensive ones promise faster recharging).
CR-V3 non-rechargeables seem to cost from £5 to £10 each (£10 to £20 per camera set).
Typical price for a CR-V3 rechargeable (including charger which also works off 12v car) is £20-£30 (£40 to £60 for a camera set), and, of course you need a 'spare' set (£25) though you could carry a set of AAs to use whilst you recharge).
So, I can start off using the supplied (non-rechargeable) AAs and carry a spare set for £1.50, pay £10 to £47 for one set of rechargeable AAs (a second set would only cost £5 to £12 as I'd already have the charger), or invest in a set of CR-V3s for £40 to £60 and carry a set of AAs for £1.50 (favourite choice) or spare CR-V3s for £25.

The rechargeable Li-Ion CRV3s are rated at 1300 mAh, whereas AAs are available from 700 mAh up to 2700 mAh - does this make a significant difference in battery life (Ni-Mh AAs are 'only' 1.2 volts)?

Oh, and AAs take up to 8 hours to recharge (and seem mainly to require mains power), whereas the CR-V3s take 2.5 hours (and an be charged in-car). Looks like it's a bit of a no-brainer really . . .

Although there is this:- Great Digital Deals - Uniross 1 Hour Sprint Battery Charger & 4 x 2700 AA's
I also bought a K100D Super some months ago, and am very happy with it.

I've used Energizer AA rechargeable for years, initially in a P+S camera and most recently a Petzl headlamp (heavy use of the headlamp during the winter). I make do with 2 sets of 2500's for the K100D, and have encountered no problems.

These cost about £5-£6 per pack, so are cheap enough to bin once performance drops.

I purchased the Uniross Sprint charger a little while back and it charges 4 x 2500/2700's in about 2.5 hours; very quick. I haven't tried the supplied batteries as yet, and I can definitely recommend the product.

Hope this helps.