Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

Greetings from Iowa

I've been lurking on PentaxForums for a while, however I've decided that as spring approaches it's time to come out of hiding.

I'm just getting back into photography after a gap of a couple of years. Maybe it's been more than a couple of years - when I bowed out of photography film was still #1 - and I think the Pentax *ist D was still pretty new...

My first serious camera was a Pentax SuperProgram (Super A), which I still have. I had accumulated (and still have) a number of decent lenses for it, but then I found myself getting serious about B&W - first with a 645 (Bronica) and then 4x5. I still enjoyed shooting 35mm, but only in color - mostly family and casual travel. Along the way I did pick up a MX to back up the SuperProgram and liked it a lot.

After so long away from photography, I found that my photography itch had been getting stronger the last couple of years, and when Pentax announced the K-1, I took that as my excuse to dust off my old lenses and get back into photography.

I used to specialize in B&W landscape and architecture photography, and I'm not entirely sure of what I'll be shooting in a couple of years - we'll just have to see. I'll probably still shoot landscapes, but I'm not sure if I'll continue on with (digital) B&W or not.

And while I enjoyed the technical excellence provided by the 645 and 4x5 formats, I also enjoyed shooting with old and often 'obsolete' cameras. I found it to be very rewarding to pull lovely images out of my old cameras - cameras like my Agfa Isolette III (6x6), Argus C3 & C4, Holga (modified to 6x6) and others. I also used to shoot with a CZ Jena 50mm/2.8, but after not being used for so long the lens focus has gotten VERY stiff. Not sure if that is a 'fix' or 'replace' problem.

I'm looking forward to doing some photographic travel around Iowa and neighboring states this year as I renew my photo skills. I was surprised at the number of Iowans that I see on these forums - sometimes it feels like I'm the only Pentaxian in the state.

02-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
That Jena lens is a good one. There are a few people active here that may be able to service it for you.
Kind regards,
Mark
02-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
02-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome! Hello from eastern Iowa!

02-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks!

I'm originally from eastern Iowa - West Branch to be specific - but my job led me to central Iowa.

I've got family in West Branch and the Quad Cities and get back to both places at least occasionally. I even worked at the Rock Island Arsenal for a short time.

I've got plans to shoot at Maquoketa Caves and Anamosa (Wapsipinicon State Park) at least a couple of times this year. I'm still laying out plans for the year - I'd love to hear any suggestions you may have for locations or events to shoot in your neck of the woods!

-- Bill
02-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Bill. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Looking forward to seeing some of your images, and good to have you here.
03-01-2017, 01:05 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, good job you kept all those decent lenses.
03-01-2017, 02:32 AM   #8
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and invitation

Welcome and best wishes.

Please consider posting images in the Picture of The Week threads in the Weekly Photos Challenges area.

03-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wm_brant Quote

I'm looking forward to doing some photographic travel around Iowa and neighboring states this year as I renew my photo skills. I was surprised at the number of Iowans that I see on these forums - sometimes it feels like I'm the only Pentaxian in the state.
Welcome aboard the forums from another Central Iowan.
03-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, welcome! Another central Iowa resident here (work in Des Moines, live outside the metro).

You might try the Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge near Prairie City - great prairie landscapes, and they have a drive-through area where you can (if you're lucky) find buffalo and elk within lens range. The buffalo, especially, will wander near the road fairly often.

I've been doing the "Single in" challenge for the past several months - where you shoot and post one picture a day, using the same lens for the entire month. That's been great for my shooting discipline, and for my technical knowledge. Here's a link to the March thread: Single In March 2017 - PentaxForums.com
03-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
You might try the Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge near Prairie City - great prairie landscapes, and they have a drive-through area where you can (if you're lucky) find buffalo and elk within lens range. The buffalo, especially, will wander near the road fairly often.
Your suggestion sounds good to me, and as the weather this weekend is supposed to be pretty decent, I think I'll run over there on Saturday. I've only been to Neal Smith once before, and that time I was not there with photographic 'intent'.

Like just about everyone around here, I'm getting anxious for things to green up (Geez! It's only the second of March - what's my hurry?), and so in lieu of greenery, I figure that the bison gotta be in bloom!

Thanx again for the suggestion!
03-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wm_brant Quote
Your suggestion sounds good to me, and as the weather this weekend is supposed to be pretty decent, I think I'll run over there on Saturday. I've only been to Neal Smith once before, and that time I was not there with photographic 'intent'.

Like just about everyone around here, I'm getting anxious for things to green up (Geez! It's only the second of March - what's my hurry?), and so in lieu of greenery, I figure that the bison gotta be in bloom!

Thanx again for the suggestion!
If you are ever visiting western Iowa, I would recommend that little known suburb named Omaha and its Henry Doorly Zoo

one of the nice things about it is the huge indoor exhibits if the weather is bad.

when we were back to visit my wife's family in Mapleton Iowa over the 4th, I drove down to visit the zoo instead of going to Sioux City

it was worth the round trip.
03-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #13
dmr

Welcome and hello from Omaha (almost Iowa).
03-03-2017, 06:17 AM   #14

Welcome