Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #1

Hi All ! from Toronto

Dave here...became a member a while ago...read many of your threads...now need your advice

I am in Toronto, Canada. Long time amateur photog...too many 35mm, medium format, digital, digital slr over the years. Got the bug again. I have been investigating the 645 digital. Someone has a reasonably priced 645D with the 75mm lens and less than 5K on the shutter...and someone else has a 645Z with 55 mm lens and 27K on the shutter. Questions: I have read about problems with the 645D sensor and shutter longevity...would this be a concern to you if you could get the above 645D at a reasonable price....or would you consider the 645Z with 27K on the shutter a better choice ??? Is 27K considered low, medium, or...for shutter use and does this number affect the price much ? In the real world...what can expect from the camera/shutter mechanism....is there a big difference in real world longevity of 645D or 645z ??

Also , anyone know about the situation for Ricoh/Pentax Canada ? It seems the few major photo stores in Canada have limited stock and even demo units in the store have almost disappeared. I asked about repairs and was told 6-8 weeks as the units have to be sent out of the country. They told me the situation has been like this for 2 years and yet I remember seeing various Pentax digital cameras in the stores not so long ago.

Regards from Toronto !

03-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Dave here...
Welcome to Pentax Forums Dave.

...became a member a while ago...
Seven years. Sleeper cell.

I am in Toronto, Canada. Long time amateur photog...too many 35mm, medium format, digital, digital slr over the years. Got the bug again. I have been investigating the 645 digital. Someone has a reasonably priced 645D with the 75mm lens and less than 5K on the shutter...and someone else has a 645Z with 55 mm lens and 27K on the shutter. Questions: I have read about problems with the 645D sensor and shutter longevity...would this be a concern to you if you could get the above 645D at a reasonable price....or would you consider the 645Z with 27K on the shutter a better choice ??? Is 27K considered low, medium, or...for shutter use and does this number affect the price much ? In the real world...what can expect from the camera/shutter mechanism....is there a big difference in real world longevity of 645D or 645z ??
What is a 'reasonable price'?

Also , anyone know about the situation for Ricoh/Pentax Canada ? It seems the few major photo stores in Canada have limited stock and even demo units in the store have almost disappeared. I asked about repairs and was told 6-8 weeks as the units have to be sent out of the country. They told me the situation has been like this for 2 years and yet I remember seeing various Pentax digital cameras in the stores not so long ago.
I believe Precision Camera is the 'Official Pentax Repair" facility now, in Enfield, Connecticut. Their website is here: Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair
03-04-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Dave. Welcome to the Pentax forums. We have a forum dedicated to medium format which is the link I have posted here for you. Ask any questions there and you will get a speedy reply. Good to have you here, and good luck with whichever 645 you get.

Pentax Medium Format - PentaxForums.com
03-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, if the initial outlay is not an issue, think I'd be going for the new version... CMOS Sensor, more mega pixels 51.4, better resolution, higher ISO etc.

03-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #5

You are closer to Pentax repair than you think.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/288071-service-canada.html