Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-12-2017, 03:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hi Everyone!

Greetings from italy!

After years of lurking, I finally decided to register to this great forum, at least to say a big THANK YOU to Adam and all the community. You all have been an invaluable source of informations for everything regarding Pentax and your photos are most of the times a real inspiration to me to take better pictures. Despite being an amateur photographer for longer than I'd like to admit, every time I visit the forum there is always something new for me to learn.

I started taking pictures when I was 18 thanks to a Zenith SLR inherited from my brother. I later upgraded to a Yashica FX-3 and later again moved to Ricoh and bought a KR-M. At the time I used Kodachrome 25/64 and I was an avid collector of aircraft slides.

When the digital era arrived, in 2005 I purchased a Pentax *ist DS (mostly because I liked a lot the fact that I could use AA batteries like with the KR-M) a camera that I loved and which I still use from time to time. In 2008 I upgraded to the K200D, another camera that I loved, built like a tank and still going strong. Four years later I read on this site the great review of the K-30 and decide that it was time for yet another upgrade.

With my K-30s (I have two) I really took thousands of pictures and both of them are still working as new. I have used them with Eneloops from day one and never experienced (yet, at least, finger crossed) the dreaded aperture block problem. The more I think to it the more I tend to agree with those who said that the problem was probably caused by a faulty batch of components rather than to a fault in the design of the camera. In any case it's a pity that such a problem ruined the fame of a camera which in my opinion was and still is, really excellent. And it's a pity that such a problem ruined in a way even the reputation of later entry/mid-level models with the fear that such problem could still be there. Despite this fear, and following my four-year-to-upgrade pattern last month I upgraded again to the K-70. I still haven't had time enough to test it to its full potential, but as far as I can see from the pictures I took, the camera is fantastic and the improvement in resolution and quality at higher ISO alone are totally worth the upgrade.

As regards my lenses, I still use from time to time the primes I got during film era (28/50/135 M), and upgraded from the kit 18-55 and 50-200 (which I still use when I want to travel light) to the Tammy 28-75/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 (both of which work really great on the new K-70s, with no need of AF calibration). Later I also purchased a Pentax 16-85, which became my main walkaround lens, and now I am experimenting with the 50/1.8 which I got for free with my K-70s purchased from SRS Microsystems in England. I am astonished at the quality of this little piece of plastic and glass. I was on holiday on a cruise ship recently and with that little gem I was able of taking sharp handheld pictures at night of the Miami skiline from the moving and waving ship.

I think that's more than enough for the first post!

Again, thanks all for being the great community you are. Hope to be able to help someone in turn, sooner or later.

Ciao

Andy

03-12-2017, 03:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Andy
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for a most informative first post.
Kind regards,
Mark
03-12-2017, 03:16 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Welcome and best wishes.

I hope you'll post images in the Picture of The Week threads in the Weekly Photo Challenges area.
03-12-2017, 03:24 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, with an intro like that I feel I've known you for years already.

03-12-2017, 03:29 AM   #5
Closed Account

Ciao from Australia Andy. Welcome to the Pentax forums. I am looking forward to seeing some of your photographs. Good to have you here with us.
03-12-2017, 03:31 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Andy
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for a most informative first post.
Kind regards,
Mark
Thanks Mark!

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Welcome and best wishes.

I hope you'll post images in the Picture of The Week threads in the Weekly Photo Challenges area.
Thank you! I will surely do that soon......

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, with an intro like that I feel I've known you for years already.
you know, with all those years of lurking, I got lot of catching up!
03-12-2017, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Ciao from Australia Andy. Welcome to the Pentax forums. I am looking forward to seeing some of your photographs. Good to have you here with us.
Thank you pjv! I will surely upload some photos as soon as I learn how to do that correctly. I'm documenting myself at the moment..........

03-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. The 16-85 is an excellent lens. You should be able to get some really nice images with the K-70. Happy shooting!
03-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to the forums. The 16-85 is an excellent lens. You should be able to get some really nice images with the K-70. Happy shooting!

Thank you! You are right the 16-85 and K-70 are a killer combo!
03-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Chicago!
03-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome from Chicago!

Thank you! It's a pleasure to join the community!
04-10-2017, 05:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
04-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
G'day mate and welcome to the forum
Thank you my friend!
04-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #14

Hello from York!
04-20-2017, 12:53 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andronik Quote
Hello from York!

Hello from a colder-than-desired Livorno andronik!