Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #16

The traditional place for the front IR port has been on the hand grip. Since the KP has interchangeable grips the port would either stick out on the smaller grips or be recessed on the larger grips. The impracticality of either case seems obvious. Another solution would be to have a removable sensor that could be transferred from grip to grip - or a sensor in each grip - drawbacks being added expense and WR concerns.

A simple solution would have been to place the IR port next to or combined with the AF assist light but this would have resulted in a narrower operating angle. Possibly why this wasn't done.

I don't see why the plug adapter would not work if the new remote is compatible between the K-70 and KP.

03-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the OP!

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The traditional place for the front IR port has been on the hand grip. Since the KP has interchangeable grips the port would either stick out on the smaller grips or be recessed on the larger grips. The impracticality of either case seems obvious. Another solution would be to have a removable sensor that could be transferred from grip to grip - or a sensor in each grip - drawbacks being added expense and WR concerns. A simple solution would have been to place the IR port next to or combined with the AF assist light but this would have resulted in a narrower operating angle. Possibly why this wasn't done.
Annoying they didn't put IR on the KP. A phone app is not progress.

I understand the point about the IR port at the front being part of the grip, but they could have integrated it into middle of the front e-dial. That would have been a pretty neat solution.
The more important one is the rear IR port anyway. Seems no excuse for not including that. I'm really not sure what Ricoh was thinking here. Otherwise the KP looks like a damn fine camera and checks all the boxes as far as I'm concerned.
03-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
The more important one is the rear IR port anyway. Seems no excuse for not including that. I'm really not sure what Ricoh was thinking here.
Dual or rear IR ports is a "flagship" feature emphasizing once again the KP is not the K-3ii replacement.

Putting the port in the front wheel depends on the internals of the wheel. The may have just reused the existing tried and true wheel mechanisms with very little redesign. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Last edited by Not a Number; 03-15-2017 at 12:27 PM.
03-16-2017, 01:14 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is no IR port. You can use the Image Sync app over Wi-Fi or the CS-310 cable release
Tried that last night. Wasn't that cumbersome. Instead of first getting all positioned/zoomed right, and focused sharp and then just hitting the button, you do that and then have to open the iPhone, open the app, wait for the wifi to connect and then finally hit the button. I'll get the cable remote (thanks for the pointers), this app is a toy.

03-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JuhaSavola Quote
I'll get the cable remote (thanks for the pointers), this app is a toy.
Whilst I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call the app a toy, I certainly don't think it replaces a dedicated remote - and I sincerely hope Ricoh provides both wired and IR remote capability on all future Pentax cameras. For my own personal use, IR is ideal, and by far the most convenient approach...
03-17-2017, 04:10 AM   #21

Welcome to the forums.

Didn't know about the remote limitations on the KP - that's a shame. The IR remote is really handy, to the point that a simple wired remote is almost redundant if you have one. I assume the KP missed out due to space limitations, I doubt the IR ports are completely gone from future Pentax cameras. The 3.5mm remote port though might be, and that is a shame - loads of great (and affordable) remotes and intervalometers that could previously be used may now be out of the questions (intervalmeters are very useful if you do astrophotography - interval drive mode doesn't work in bulb or astrotracer). Boo to proprietary formats.
03-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Why wouldn't you just use your phone?
What I find odd is the K-S2 has IR port and WiFi for my phone, but no port for wired remote . I wish it did, but I find using my phone works really well

03-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by GodsPetMonkey Quote
The 3.5mm remote port though might be, and that is a shame - loads of great (and affordable) remotes and intervalometers that could previously be used may now be out of the questions (intervalmeters are very useful if you do astrophotography - interval drive mode doesn't work in bulb or astrotracer). Boo to proprietary formats.
All you need to do is buy a 2.5mm (3-pole) to 3.5mm (3-pole or 4-pole) plug adapter. The 3rd party remotes that come with various adapters will eventually come with the 3.5mm plug. You can buy them at Radio Shack or dozens of places online.
03-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Which is basically the difference between the two cables, the older Pentax cable release and this new version? Why this change? All the new Pentax cameras will use this cable?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is no IR port. You can use the Image Sync app over Wi-Fi or the CS-310 cable release:

Pentax CS-310 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

It should be noted that older Pentax cable releases will not work with the Pentax KP.
03-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Which is basically the difference between the two cables, the older Pentax cable release and this new version? Why this change? All the new Pentax cameras will use this cable?
The only real difference is the diameter of the plug. This was done so it could fit in the standard external microphone jack. The K-70 and KP remotes plug into the external mic jack. The wiring seems to be the same as the earlier remotes. The extra pole is not being used (as of now).
03-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Doubt it, just cameras that don't have a dedicated remote port.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
All you need to do is buy a 2.5mm (3-pole) to 3.5mm (3-pole or 4-pole) plug adapter. The 3rd party remotes that come with various adapters will eventually come with the 3.5mm plug. You can buy them at Radio Shack or dozens of places online.
Is that confirmed working on the KP? Does it work with all/most 3.5mm remotes? I don't have a K-70 or KP so I can't really test myself, and it doesn't look like extensive testing has been carried out (probably not enough people affected yet). If the plug converter works, then that makes it considerably less painful, though still cheeky.
03-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #28
smf
Pentaxian

Welcome and best wishes.

I hope you'll enjoy your new camera and that you'll post images in the Picture of The Week threads in the Weekly Photo Challenges area.
03-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by GodsPetMonkey Quote
Is that confirmed working on the KP? Does it work with all/most 3.5mm remotes? I don't have a K-70 or KP so I can't really test myself, and it doesn't look like extensive testing has been carried out (probably not enough people affected yet). If the plug converter works, then that makes it considerably less painful, though still cheeky.
Why shouldn't it work on the KP? The KP uses the same remote as the K-70. Same connector, same pin outs.