Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2017, 11:02 PM   #1

Just unboxed KP - cool but where IR remote?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Great to join this forum! I have been using years K-x, especially in macro shooting. Yesterday I spend some of my annual bonus in upgrading to KP. The new thing has impressive properties for my needs. But misses the IR remote so back to the shop and get a special Pentax remote...

03-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
There is no IR port, so the KP can only be controlled remotely with a smart phone (or computer) via Wi Fi or a dedicated cable release via the microphone input socket.
From the Pentax reviews description.
03-15-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JuhaSavola Quote
Great to join this forum! I have been using years K-x, especially in macro shooting. Yesterday I spend some of my annual bonus in upgrading to KP. The new thing has impressive properties for my needs. But misses the IR remote so back to the shop and get a special Pentax remote...
There is no IR port. You can use the Image Sync app over Wi-Fi or the CS-310 cable release:

Pentax CS-310 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

It should be noted that older Pentax cable releases will not work with the Pentax KP.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-15-2017, 01:06 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I'll just say welcome to the forum, as others have already replied to your question.

03-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #5

Welcome, i was a little suprised too but between the phone app and the remote linked below all is good.

JJC MA-PK1 Remote Shutter for Pentax K-70, replaces PENTAX CS-310 | eBay
03-15-2017, 06:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.
I used the IR remote more than the iPad app, but the iPad app makes the IR redundant, so that's progress.
03-15-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Sadly your KP does not support IR remote shutter release. As with the K-70, it does support the proprietary Pentax-brand wired Cable Release CS-310 (hard to find and not inexpensive). The JJC remote (comment above) is supposed to be a reasonable replacement. There is also the potential to use available third party wired remotes intended for use with a K-50, K-3, etc. (all the way back to the K10D) when paired with a 2.5mm --> 3.5mm adapter. I don't have a KP or K-70 to try it on, so can't give that route a firm recommendation.

Steve

03-15-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Sadly your KP does not support IR remote shutter release. As with the K-70, it does support the proprietary Pentax-brand wired Cable Release CS-310 (hard to find and not inexpensive). The JJC remote (comment above) is supposed to be a reasonable replacement. There is also the potential to use available third party wired remotes intended for use with a K-50, K-3, etc. (all the way back to the K10D) when paired with a 2.5mm --> 3.5mm adapter. I don't have a KP or K-70 to try it on, so can't give that route a firm recommendation.

Steve
Why wouldn't you just use your phone?
03-15-2017, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Multiple steps to enable + clunky interface + horrendous, two-handed touch screen ergonomics, vs. Menu (or INFO Screen) select ON* and a button push?

* Infrared
03-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good question.

Aside from the wireless app being clunky, battery drain affects both devices. There are many paths to the top of the mountain. I use a mix of IR and wired on my K-3 and would consider a dongle-type wireless remote that plugs into the release port on the camera for some cases. I have had no interest in the Flu Card solution and am only mildly interested in wireless through my phone or a tablet.

Steve
03-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I use the following wired remote (plugs into camera) with my K-3II and K-5IIs. It derives its power from the camera, so it does not require a battery. I tried an IR remote, but the battery power was not reliable. Below is a shortcut to the wired remote I use.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H
03-15-2017, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Multiple steps to enable + clunky interface + horrendous, two-handed touch screen ergonomics, vs. Menu (or INFO Screen) select ON* and a button push?

* Infrared
+1. The weathersealed IR remote is convenient while hiking. I clip it onto a backpack strap or belt loop for easy access, even if I'm wearing gloves.
03-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I use the following wired remote (plugs into camera) with my K-3II and K-5IIs. It derives its power from the camera, so it does not require a battery. I tried an IR remote, but the battery power was not reliable. Below is a shortcut to the wired remote I use.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H
Unfortunately, that unit will not work on the K-70 or KP due to Ricoh using a "combo" fitting for both microphone and wired remote. Some users have reported success with a 2.5mm (3-pole) --> 3.5mm (3-pole or 4-pole) adapter to use remotes such as the Vello with their K-70. With any luck the same might work with a KP.

Steve
03-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unfortunately, that unit will not work on the K-70 or KP due to Ricoh using a "combo" fitting for both microphone and wired remote. Some users have reported success with a 2.5mm (3-pole) --> 3.5mm (3-pole or 4-pole) adapter to use remotes such as the Vello with their K-70. With any luck the same might work with a KP.
Steve
Thanks for pointing that out.
03-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To add to the others, it's not great for astrophotography to ruin my night vision like that. Super simple to set everything up for IR remote + mirror lock up.