Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

New to the thread...picking up an old passion/hobby

Hi everyone. I've enjoyed reading the forum for years, but never joined. I've loved photography and Pentax gear for decades. I discovered the passion during high school where I was never caught without my k-1000. I was an avid contributor to my HS newspaper and yearly annual. Over the years, I've had a few k1000s (still have them). I spent about two years working in LA carrying around a 645 - that was a fun summer. I can't afford one, myself, but perhaps one day.

I moved on and got busy with life. I transitioned from film to DSLR in 2006 when I bought an *istDS. I enjoyed learning on that camera and was happy I could use many of my old lenses, which I have quite a few. About four years later, I bought an K20Ds. I didn't use it much, and realized I had forgotten so much of how to use a camera. Plus, moving from the old days of fully manual cameras to cameras heavy with tech, has presented a challenge for me. If you don't use it every day, it's easily forgotten. My most recent camera is a K-01, again, I need to use it every day.

So, now I'm looking at a new camera (seems like every 4 years is the mark). I'll probably get a K-3 II. I'm looking around, though, just to get a feel for what people are saying. It seems like the forum is filled with helpful and nice members. I hope I live up to your standards - and thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

~b

03-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum zworld.
Kind regards,
Mark
03-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zworld Quote
I've enjoyed reading the forum for years
Welcome at last, I guess it doesn't pay to just rush in...
03-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zworld Quote
Hi everyone. I've enjoyed reading the forum for years, but never joined. I've loved photography and Pentax gear for decades. I discovered the passion during high school where I was never caught without my k-1000...
I moved on and got busy with life. I transitioned from film to DSLR in 2006 when I bought an *istDS. I enjoyed learning on that camera and was happy I could use many of my old lenses, which I have quite a few. About four years later, I bought an K20Ds. I didn't use it much, and realized I had forgotten so much of how to use a camera. Plus, moving from the old days of fully manual cameras to cameras heavy with tech, has presented a challenge for me. If you don't use it every day, it's easily forgotten. My most recent camera is a K-01, again, I need to use it every day.

So, now I'm looking at a new camera (seems like every 4 years is the mark). I'll probably get a K-3 II. I'm looking around, though, just to get a feel for what people are saying. It seems like the forum is filled with helpful and nice members. I hope I live up to your standards - and thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

~b
I know exactly how you feel. When I started back a couple years ago now it was almost like starting all over. So much different from my old k1000 days. So a big welcome to the forums! It's just an amazingly helpful place that will get you back up to speed in no time. No question is considered a bad one, and unlike the rest of the internet you'll rarely encounter trollish behavior here. In general we all respect each other.

Looking forward to some of the work you can pull out of your new gear when you get it. In the meantime put that old gear to work and let's see some of it!

03-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
Forum Member

I think the K3ii will be a great choice to get back in the mix. You will be able to continue using your lenses and as you start improving the camera will not hold you back. There is a forum member that sells a guide book for the K3 and with that, the forum and a plethora of YouTube videos you'll be shooting like a pro.
03-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Australia zworld. Welcome to the Pentax forums, and good to have you here.