Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Keith23 Quote
Yes, with a new camera, I read the manual and go take photos for a while. I then go back to the manual and go over things that are not clear or that I have not worked out.

It depends a bit on where you are. Where I am, in the Wet Season, 'adverse conditions' can arrive very suddenly! The Pentax would not survive a full tropical downpour (I have a Ricoh waterproof for those) but WR would help if a shower suddenly blows through. I would add, however, that most times I would have a waterproof camera bag under those circumstances. But it's not just rain but also dust.
kinda what I had in mind

Rain Protection | B&H Photo Video

not as good as WR perhaps but ??? might also work for dust ?? may be you could email them or do chat, they are good at answering questions

We were lucky enough to spend some time ( a very little time unfortunately) in Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart then to the SI and up to the NI of New Zealand but it was in February, your Summer time I believe, weather was beautiful at all times.

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-17-2017 at 04:15 AM. Reason: making more sense I hope
03-17-2017, 03:54 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@Keith23 - It's day four and I am still waiting for it to arrive *sigh*. IMO There is a fine line between water resistant and water proof and it's really not something I intend to do with my camera, but it is reassuring to know.
On a sidenote - I am on a hunt for a camera bag and I didn't think about a waterproof one lol.
03-17-2017, 03:58 AM   #18

Welcome to the forums Amelia. I am from the mainland in Brisbane and there are a few other around here from SE Queensland.

The K-50 is a pretty good piece of kit, but don't be intimidated by the DSLR image - Pentax cameras have wonderful ergonomics and you'll find that you will be plenty comfortable with the SCN, Green and even P modes. The tip on the exposure compensation button is a good one, it'll help you get your lighting right with needing to do anything in post-processing (which is something you'll start to explore when you are ready).

If you see any other Pentaxians while you are out and about remember to say hi, we are a pretty friendly mob!
03-17-2017, 04:06 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mealznpukz Quote
@Keith23 - It's day four and I am still waiting for it to arrive *sigh*. IMO There is a fine line between water resistant and water proof and it's really not something I intend to do with my camera, but it is reassuring to know.
On a sidenote - I am on a hunt for a camera bag and I didn't think about a waterproof one lol.
hope your camera shows up soon

have you looked at this thread?? the one I have its own rain cover attached

PentaxForums.com → Pentax Lenses and Accessories → Pentax Camera and Field Accessories → Advice on larg backpack requested please

Advice on larg backpack requested please - PentaxForums.com

here is something that might be of interest as well:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/Backpacks-c146.html

Pentax Lens Reviews | Third-Party Lens Reviews | Accessory Reviews | Pentax Camera Reviews

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-17-2017 at 04:11 AM.
03-17-2017, 04:08 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
have you looked at this thread?? the one I have its own rain cover attached

PentaxForums.com → Pentax Lenses and Accessories → Pentax Camera and Field Accessories → Advice on larg backpack requested please

Advice on larg backpack requested please - PentaxForums.com
I'm on my way there now thanks.
03-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found this perfect for day hikes in NZ. See Fancier KingKong 40 Pro Camera Bag Backpack
03-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have found this perfect for day hikes in NZ. See Fancier KingKong 40 Pro Camera Bag Backpack

That is a very very nice bag.

I intend to do the Routeburn in October. Although Kepler keeps tantalising me too. Waiting on DOC to open the bookings. The dates available will decide which walk I do.
What am I after, is a day bag that is like an osprey (lightweight, shoulder padding, some compression ability, back breathing panel etc). I would like it to be waterproof, easy to access, hold a packed lunch, a tripod, a lightweight rain jacket and perhaps a light change of clothes for one day/overnight outings. It will sit in my 46L backpack for the multi-day walks. It will also be my carry on. So it will need to be multipurpose, not a dedicated camera bag. I am considering inserts as they could be the most flexible option for me. I'm not in a hurry though as I do enjoy the hunt.
03-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a very very nice bag.

I intend to do the Routeburn in October. Although Kepler keeps tantalising me too. Waiting on DOC to open the bookings. The dates available will decide which walk I do.
What am I after, is a day bag that is like an osprey (lightweight, shoulder padding, some compression ability, back breathing panel etc). I would like it to be waterproof, easy to access, hold a packed lunch, a tripod, a lightweight rain jacket and perhaps a light change of clothes for one day/overnight outings. It will sit in my 46L backpack for the multi-day walks. It will also be my carry on. So it will need to be multipurpose, not a dedicated camera bag. I am considering inserts as they could be the most flexible option for me. I'm not in a hurry though as I do enjoy the hunt.
An insert would be best for you. This bag is good for day walks, but not anything else.

03-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
An insert would be best for you. This bag is good for day walks, but not anything else.
removable and adjustable inserts do make things versatile and I could be preaching to the choir here but there are some thoughts:

not familiar with the terrain you are thinking about traversing, but if I am considering equipment for more than just causal walking about, I look at

a good padded waistband,

good shoulder straps and

a chest band

the more adjustable the better.

When I got smart and started to use such packs, I was amazed at how those features adjusted the load and made the carrying of the weight very nice indeedie

IMHO, YMMV
03-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Routeburn is a 2-4 day tramp, so a medium size good quality hiking style backpack would be best. It rains a lot, so a weatherproof bag with rain cover is advisable. If going in season, you need to book - outside the main season no bookings are required, but huts are first come, first served.Good wet weather gear is essential.
03-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #26

Original Poster
*Sigh* It's now day 7... 5 business days and have just received an email stating that due to an increase in fraudulent activity could I send through a copy of my drivers licence..... Ummmmm no! I will pick up which is wanted to do to begin with, but hubby didn't want to go to the mall to pick it up. (He paid for it and put it all in my name). He wont be too happy with me as he'll insist that I should've sent my licence. He detests malls. On the flipside, I do hope this speeds things up.
I had been obsessing about the k50 and k70 when I thought gee I really ought to go to a shop and hold one. So I went to the shop that had the cheapest online prices I could find only to have them say that they have never had a pentax product in their shop. And they didn't. They had 2 olympus cameras amongst the main brands. That was it. I told the counter lady to check their website which is how she found out that they do sell them.
I know I'm going to want the 18-135 lens for traveling with, so looking forward to the hunt.
03-20-2017, 02:00 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's pretty sad how few places stocks Pentax. I can only hope that if we keep asking, these retailers will get the picture!
03-20-2017, 02:12 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

*Sigh* It's now day 7... 5 business days and have just received an email stating that due to an increase in fraudulent activity could I send through a copy of my drivers licence..... Ummmmm no! I will pick up which is wanted to do to begin with, but hubby didn't want to go to the mall to pick it up. (He paid for it and put it all in my name). He wont be too happy with me as he'll insist that I should've sent my licence. He detests malls. On the flipside, I do hope this speeds things up.
I had been obsessing about the k50 and k70 when I thought gee I really ought to go to a shop and hold one. So I went to the shop that had the cheapest online prices I could find only to have them say that they have never had a pentax product in their shop. And they didn't. They had 2 olympus cameras amongst the main brands. That was it. I told the counter lady to check their website which is how she found out that they do sell them.
I know I'm going to want the 18-135 lens for traveling with, so looking forward to the hunt.
I hate it when I go to a store and the person there to assist me knows less than I do about the product I am seeking info about

since I tend to research my major purchases I tend to have some knowledge about them if I can find some but I still hope to get specialized knowledge about it from the folks trying to sell them to me

alas, that hardly ever happens any more
03-20-2017, 03:52 AM   #29

Digidirect in the city stock Pentax, though it is a limited range - my guess from you wanting to head to the mall is it is possibly them you are buying from. They are a pretty good store (hell, they actually stock Pentax, trying Ted's a few doors down may result in confusion with the staff member you get not knowing what a Pentax is), but their ordering system is a great way to test your patience. My advice, if you are waiting for something from them to come in, is keep on top of them - phone at least weekly - amazing the number of times something will take a couple of days to arrive, I won't hear anything for 2-3 weeks, then after I call once or twice, it suddenly hurries its way into the store.

I shouldn't complain too much though, they have always been very good to me when ever I have had a warranty issue, the staff are helpful and genuinely like Pentax gear (some other places will push you pretty hard to buy into another brand). I can also appreciate it is tough for B&M stores and that inventory management is a pretty obvious target for cost cutting.
03-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GodsPetMonkey Quote
Digidirect in the city stock Pentax, though it is a limited range - my guess from you wanting to head to the mall is it is possibly them you are buying from. They are a pretty good store (hell, they actually stock Pentax, trying Ted's a few doors down may result in confusion with the staff member you get not knowing what a Pentax is), but their ordering system is a great way to test your patience. My advice, if you are waiting for something from them to come in, is keep on top of them - phone at least weekly - amazing the number of times something will take a couple of days to arrive, I won't hear anything for 2-3 weeks, then after I call once or twice, it suddenly hurries its way into the store.

I shouldn't complain too much though, they have always been very good to me when ever I have had a warranty issue, the staff are helpful and genuinely like Pentax gear (some other places will push you pretty hard to buy into another brand). I can also appreciate it is tough for B&M stores and that inventory management is a pretty obvious target for cost cutting.
I did look at digidirect and tbh, found them to be expensive. Camera warehouses' prices weren't too bad (they have a shop in Annerley). I'm getting mine from camerahouse. It was the $200 free printing voucher and the free online photography course that sold me, being a newbie n all.