Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hi from a dslr virgin

Hi there, As much as I like taking photos I will admit it took me 5 years to master the menu on my p&s which I bought back in 2005..... Yes that makes me chuckle too as I mean, the pre-set modes. Generally my eyes glaze over and I'm out as soon as I hear the words iso, aperture blah blah blah and YET I am anxiously waiting on the K50 with twin lens kit to arrive.

I have committed myself to learning, well trying to master one thing as I'm one of those who knows a little about alot of things but really knows nothing lol and I have chosen photography probably because that's the subject that I know least about, that is of some interest to me.

An added bonus is that I'm going hiking in the south island of New Zealand and after much consideration a K50 was my best choice. I really wanted a K70 but there's always something else that's better and I think a K50 is a fine choice for a complete novice.

Trying not to get caught out with being hmmm don't know the right word - a sucker? for needing all this and all that and just sticking to the basics and buy things as I grow accordingly. Having said that I am keeping an eye out for a travel tripod, filters, auxiliary lenses, a remote and maybe a tracer. Not too sure what area I want to delve deeper into. Probably landscape.

So happy learning days ahead for me. Yes I will be reading the instructions and attending a short photography course and most definitely will be lurking in the forums.

That's all
Amelia

03-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
03-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-50, like most recent Pentax models, is weather sealed, so try and get WR (weather sealed/resistant) lenses: there is a good range to pick from now. I would not trust this to keep out water in a heavy downpour but people have taken their cameras out in the rain without problems. Perhaps people here with more experience can comment. The South Island gets more rain than the north, so you want to be prepared.

You can start with Automatic (Auto) and Scene (SCN) mode to get started and you should be fine. Next you can try Aperture (Av; Aperture Vlue) if you want to control depth of field (how much of the scene is in focus) and let the camera do the rest. I like Av for landscape/scenic photography. Then Shutter Speed (Tv; Time Value) for moving objects, like birds or other animals. Those together would cover many situations.

The review on this site is handy for getting to know the camera.
03-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Keith23 Quote
The K-50, like most recent Pentax models, is weather sealed, so try and get WR (weather sealed/resistant) lenses: there is a good range to pick from now. I would not trust this to keep out water in a heavy downpour but people have taken their cameras out in the rain without problems. Perhaps people here with more experience can comment. The South Island gets more rain than the north, so you want to be prepared.

You can start with Automatic (Auto) and Scene (SCN) mode to get started and you should be fine. Next you can try Aperture (Av; Aperture Vlue) if you want to control depth of field (how much of the scene is in focus) and let the camera do the rest. I like Av for landscape/scenic photography. Then Shutter Speed (Tv; Time Value) for moving objects, like birds or other animals. Those together would cover many situations.

The review on this site is handy for getting to know the camera.
Hi Keith, I appreciate your explanation of the modes as it really made sense. I'm from the Bay of Islands and hubby and I had our honeymoon in Qtown. I am definitely looking forward to returning to the SI in October to have a better look around.

03-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
03-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Amelia

Welcome to the forum. If you're coming hiking here, play safe - our hiking trails can be challenging if the weather changes - as it often does.
If you'd like to see where all the Kiwis hang out - it's here: Kiwi Pentaxians - Page 859 - PentaxForums.com

Kind regards,
Mark
03-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest 1) reading the first section (basics) of camera functions in the manual, 2) learn where the exposure compensation button is and how to use it (it's easy) then 3) go out and shoot a couple of times. Then, read the basics again, and more detail where needed.

03-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums Amelia.
I wouldn't rush into lenses or for that mater most of the stuff you listed. After using the camera a while you will find that you really want or need an item on the list Tripod for instance. Filters all depend on what you want to accomplish with a shot Like smooth water, glare removal etc,. lenses after you find the range you use the most. I would recommend as others have read the manual and use the camera best way to learn , Most important is have fun with it.
03-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
Closed Account

Hi from another Aussie Amelia. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Any help that you may need will be quickly acted upon by the friendly and helpful membership here. Good to have you aboard.
03-15-2017, 11:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 18 to 55 mm kit lens would most likely suit you. It is inexpensive and works very well. Just make sure to get the W (weather resistant version) not the L version.
03-16-2017, 12:51 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome here, remember to enjoy your photography, don't get too bogged down with technical issues.
03-16-2017, 02:31 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

[ please remember my opinions and $ buys coffee/tea and the diner, I am no expert on photography, cameras or lenses ]

1 have fun and don't over concentrate on photography, use your eyes to see and your original "memory card' - the brain - to record what there is to see and enjoy on your trip first and then if you want try to record it with the camera take the shot. Remember that if you don't try to take the photo, you have 0 % chance of getting a good one.

2 take photographs. Unlike the film days, other than memory cards there is no $ penalty to take as many photographs as possible., you only "develop" and print what you want to, you know your "experiments" in advance and don't spend the $ on them unless you want to

3 variation - when practicing, if possible, photograph the same scene in various ways (I am talking about camera settings here) so you can discover what different settings will do to your camera and photo.

4 don't worry about the "latest and greatest" gear. I have noticed that some previous posters mention "WR" lenses. If you want to spend the extra $$, go ahead, it is good gear, - I have, at times, but how often are you planning on taking photos in adverse conditions. There are also various "devices" used for years to protect camera equipment from dust and water that may be more affordable options at this stage. You have a Pentax, use one of its greatest assets, being able to use the lenses developed over the years instead of the latest and greatest. For example, I am trying to learn macro and instead of buying the 100 macro WR, I got the older lens without WR and saved $

5 learn from others, by taking classes, by reading, by talking to them or perhaps by PM on this and other forums and don't be shy about asking questions here at the forums as well

Have fun first, please let us know how you are doing.
03-16-2017, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Aww thanks all!
03-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums Amelia.
03-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Then, read the basics again, and more detail where needed.
Yes, with a new camera, I read the manual and go take photos for a while. I then go back to the manual and go over things that are not clear or that I have not worked out.

QuoteQuote:
I have noticed that some previous posters mention "WR" lenses. If you want to spend the extra $$, go ahead, it is good gear, - I have, at times, but how often are you planning on taking photos in adverse conditions.
It depends a bit on where you are. Where I am, in the Wet Season, 'adverse conditions' can arrive very suddenly! The Pentax would not survive a full tropical downpour (I have a Ricoh waterproof for those) but WR would help if a shower suddenly blows through. I would add, however, that most times I would have a waterproof camera bag under those circumstances. But it's not just rain but also dust.