Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

I am Vexed. Very very Vexed. K-1

After seeing the K-1 for real at the 2017 CES show in Vegas this year, I knew I had to have it.

03-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing vexing about that. Entirely understandable.
Welcome!
03-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dooglas Quote
After seeing the K-1 for real at the 2017 CES show in Vegas this year, I knew I had to have it.
Well go on then, pick one up then come back here and tell us about it.

Welcome to the forums mate.

Tas
03-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
Now I am ever more vexed. I was trying to edit the title of my post and I was no where near done writing when it posted. There does not seem to be a way to edit or delete a post after it is made. What is up with that?

Ok, Back to my story…..

Even before seeing the K-1 at CES I was really liking what I was seeing from the camera. However, I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the lens situation. For some reason, I am finding it very difficult to get very excited about any of the lens options. With the exception of the holy trinity of limiteds, I am not sold on any of the other options.

I found the whole Pentax lens thing very confusing. I have never had a Pentax before. My first 35mm camera was a Ricoh 500G rangefinder that never let me down. I think I may still have it at the bottom of a box at my parents house. After I upgraded to a SLR (Olympus OM-1), I gave my 500G to my little brother to use. So, I am new to Pentax. While I do like the fact that Pentax has used the same physical K mount for a very long time, it does make things confusing. What works well and what does not is a complete cluster of confusion.

While I was at CES I mentioned my confusion to the Pentax rep handling the K-1 table and he simply did not understand my boggle.

So, I looked at the nice Sigma lenses and found that they are focusing on those other companies that shall remain nameless. (canon, Nikon, sony) And, I am really not thrilled with the sample pictures I am seeing in the forums.

Here I sit with a brand new Pentax K-1 and no glass and unable to decide what to get. If the price were not so steep for the lenses, I would simply get a bunch and have at it. But, with the price hovering at or about the $1000 each, I think I want to be a bit more picky.

Then I look at all of the lovely pictures coming out of the Pentax 645 camera and lens combinations and I am thinking perhaps I should have gone that route. I do get excited about quite a few of the lens options on that side of the fence. And for some reason I am not confused when looking at all of those options even given the fact that the 645 mount has been around for a long time too and I should have the same problem. But, I am fine looking at those lenses.

Can I say it again, I am Vexed. Very Very Vexed. And I do not know why.

03-16-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Dooglas. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Editing posts can only be done after a minimum of posts have occurred. It is either 5 or 10. All new members posts are checked by the moderators for content. Enjoy your K-1. Good to have you aboard.
03-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My case was similar, except it was the K-20d I was looking at, at the NY camera show. It was to be my first dslr, but I had 3 spotmatic (screw mount) lenses from the 1960's. The Pentax rep wisely suggested,"don't buy any lens--get the camera and try what you have first."

So my suggestion is get a lens or two--any not very costly ones--perhaps an F or FA zoom and and an older prime--and then try them.
03-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I found the whole Pentax lens thing very confusing. I have never had a Pentax before. My first 35mm camera was a Ricoh 500G rangefinder that never let me down. I think I may still have it at the bottom of a box at my parents house. After I upgraded to a SLR (Olympus OM-1), I gave my 500G to my little brother to use. So, I am new to Pentax. While I do like the fact that Pentax has used the same physical K mount for a very long time, it does make things confusing. What works well and what does not is a complete cluster of confusion.

While I was at CES I mentioned my confusion to the Pentax rep handling the K-1 table and he simply did not understand my boggle.
Do not hesitate to elaborate more of what confusing about Pentax lenses here.
or this page might help too.

03-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here I sit with a brand new Pentax K-1 and no glass and unable to decide what to get.
If you want new, you cannot go wrong with the DFA 28-105. It is an excellent lens although a bit slow for some. If you need fast then get the DFA 24-70 f/2.8. Simple really.

If you want more choices: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

While Pentax lens terminology can seem confusing it really is not that bad once you figure it out, considering how long they have been making glass for the same mount. Look here: Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

But basically for your K-1 anything that says DFA is modern and will work. You can also use anything in the "FA" and the "F" series and retain full functionality. Older series like the "A", "M" and "K" will be manual focus and will work but with some compromises.

I prefer the "F" series myself:

03-16-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found the whole Pentax lens thing very confusing.
Mate, you're not on your Pat Malone with this one, it's a regular question asked by people new to the system and you've come to the best resource to demystify the system. pakinjapan has pointed you to one database, and here's a guide that you should read first: Comprehensive Pentax Lens Guide - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com This will explain the K mount naming conventions for you before you pick up a lens.

Tas
03-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are many fantastic lenses available for the K-1 - both new and second hand.

Let us know what sort of things you're after and there will be no end of (mainly) helpful advice.
03-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #11

Original Poster
Before I purchased the body, I had a good idea of what the Pentax family of lenses was all about. I have a good grasp of what the different model classes offer. This forum is great. All of the sample photos and they way they can be searched is awesome. I know what I like in terms of image rendition. Yet, I cannot decide. If Pentax made an adapter for the 645 Lenses that included the electrical connections to the lens to maintian aperture and auto focus control I would simply get several of the 645 lenses. I am guessing it will take me another week or two in order to make up my mind. I will probably find some used A glass in the meantime so I can use my new friend that is glued to my hand even though I cannot even use it yet. I am probably not alone here, I carrying it everywhere and do not want to put it down.
03-16-2017, 11:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Dooglas.
Kind regards,
Mark
03-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Let us know what kind of photography you do and I'm sure you'll get some solid and well tested options. But you'd hardly go wrong with the DFA100macro wr, DFA50macro, Fa77, FA31 or FA35, F or FA 50f1.7, DFA28-105. There are plenty of others, but this will get you started
03-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Welcome ... I would suggest a Pentax M42 adaption ring and shoot Takumars !

Excellent value and I do not need AF that often ... but have some when necessary.

SMC Takumar 35mm f/2, my Single Challenges lens, here => SMC Takumar 35/2 | Flickr

Also, there is legacy glass in Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses ... again all manual, but with a PK/A adapter, they shoot like "A" series manual Pentax lenses ... aperture controlled via the body settings.

Here's an album for the Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5 which was last month ... => https://www.flickr.com/photos/139020494@N02/albums/72157676206989434

I am a big legacy glass fan, so if you want more info, just PM (Personal Message) me ... Cheers, J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-17-2017 at 01:31 AM.
03-17-2017, 01:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm vexed myself...not because I want the K-1, but there's no way I would want to be without my K-3II. So the saving must continue... Hopefully by the time I'm done, a few more lenses will have been released, but a lot of mine are FF already.