Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #1

New to cameras

Hi all,

I'm new to anything that isn't a cell phone or point and shoot. I'm excited to learn more and have some fun. I'm looking at a K-S2 and also any good quality used items similar so I'll get there eventually!

03-20-2017, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and best wishes.

If you join the Pentax fold, please consider posting images in the Picture of The Week threads in the Weekly Photo Challenges area.
03-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm definitely going with a Pentax. Just need to figure out which one.
03-20-2017, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

Please feel free to ask questions there are many folks here willing and able to help

I have copy righted all possible stupid questions, but I give you right to use any of them you wish.

you might want to look at some of these threads if you haven''t already

Pentax Lens Reviews | Third-Party Lens Reviews | Accessory Reviews | Pentax Camera Reviews

Read more at: Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

PentaxForums.com → Pentax Cameras → Pentax Camera Comparison

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Pentax Cameras | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I use a K 3 and have a K 5 II as a back up

there are similar threads in the same area about different lenses as well

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-20-2017 at 10:07 AM.
03-20-2017, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll enjoy your photography the Pentax way soon.
03-20-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KS-2 will be a great start for you. All the "necessary" functionality to learn from and access to some great glass, old and new. Do as ASlyFox suggested when looking for lenses and do post some images once you start! You are opening up a WHOLE new world in photography for yourself!

Have fun with it!
03-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome. Is it worth buying the K-S2 with the two kits lens' (18-55 and 50-22) or should I go without the extra lens and grab something else? I am really looking to take street photos, nature (we hike a lot), animals, etc... I am not super interested in video as I do most video fun stuff with my Autel X-Star from the air. Thoughts or suggestions?

03-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

when you are pinching pennies and who doesn't be sure to be realistic :

how often do you really need certain features such as exact GPS location recorded. are there other options (cell phones apps (?) stand alone gps units etc) if all you need is a spot recorded or using a map???

how often will you be shooting in weather/dust requiring WR lenses??? Are there other ways to protect (yes, there are and they are cheaper)

is it better to get an adequate older model of camera body and mate it with the latest and best lenses you can afford

is it better to ask questions and learn from the experiences of others or learn by myself???

will the ability of the Pentax camera bodies to utilize older lenses help by allowing the purchase of adequate older lenses at a cheaper price

am I preaching to the choir by posting this or being somewhat helpful to others?????
03-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #9
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Jeremy. Welcome to the Pentax forums. There is lots of help here should you need it, in the form of reviews of equipment, or posting a thread in the forum you need information. The very friendly and knowledgeable members here are happy to help. Good to have you aboard.