Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Thinking of Coming back to Pentax after years of shooting Canon

Hi all,

My first film SLRs were we Pentax (MV-1, ME Super, K1000) but then I moved to Nikon film for while and finally settled on Canon which I've been shooting for the past 20 years. I've been shooting a Canon 70D for the past 3 years, but want to move up to a FF camera. The K1 seems to be the perfect camera for the subjects I like to shoot (Landscape, Architecture, Night shots/astrophotography).

12 years ago I bought my first DSLR the Canon 20D, only to have the 20dA (astronomical version) come out six months later and I'd like to avoid that happening again. So this leads me to a couple of questions.

1: is there a successor to the K1 on the horizon in the next 6 months or so? If so I'd rather hold off till it comes out.

2: I'd like a wide angle lens that works with the K1 and am considering the Rokinon 14mm but if there's an older film lens that would work as well I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

03-20-2017, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

No successor anytime soon for k1 (years from now). Wide angle zoom would be the new DFA 15-30mm f2.8. As well I think Irix makes a 15mm as well.
03-20-2017, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
Hi all,

2: I'd like a wide angle lens that works with the K1 and am considering the Rokinon 14mm but if there's an older film lens that would work as well I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks
All Pentax K-mount film-era lenses will fit (it's a major marketing tool which apparently failed yet again :-)
03-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome back to Pentax,

To answer your questions....
QuoteQuote:
1: is there a successor to the K1 on the horizon in the next 6 months or so? If so I'd rather hold off till it comes out.
If I remember correctly, during the last camera exposition in Japan, Adam (the system administrator here) has the opportunity to interview and ask questions directly to Pentax. They indicated that it is going to be a while on a K1 replacement. I would quantify this by at least 18 to 36 months - by just guessing. There was a thread on this with-in the last month and the guessing was in that range - more towards the longer future. The Nikon 810 has been out a couple of years now - so the product cycle is now in years, rather than months.
QuoteQuote:
In term of wide angle lenses, there are the new primes (and I have not been following these that closely) from around 10mm to 18-20mm - the Samyang (and the re-badged version - Rokinon, el al), along with the IRIX and a couple of others. There is the 15mm/f4 Asahi K lens (which is also expensive - see the lens database up on the main menu - top of the page). There is also the DFA 15-30/f2.8 zoom which is the rebadged Tamron lens which is suppose to be very good (in a number of ways equal to the Nikon 14-24/f2.8). All the third parties tend to support the Pentax mount pretty well (even Sigma to an extent). You can always go M42 with the M42 to K mount adapter (ie new Zeiss lenses), and you can also use the Leitax Nikon ZF.2 remount kit to convert Nikon lenses to Pentax (manual, no AF). The 16mm/f2 Samyang/Rokinon is suppose to be very good for astro.

There is also an AstroPhotography area here on the Forum...

03-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter

I'd like a wide angle lens that works with the K1
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The K-1 is a good call, the 15-30 f2.8 would certainly fit the bill as would the Rokinon 14mm you mentioned.

More recently the two Irix lenses have appeared on the market and they represent two weather sealed options to consider. The Irix lenses are a 15mm f2.4 and 11mm f4. I was looking at the 11mm Irix until I started seeing images from the Venus Laowa 12mm f2.8 Zero Distortion lens. It's not available just yet but should be appearing in K mount in the coming months. Anyway, there's several options to consider, and here's a link to a new thread to keep an eye on these and other ultra wide FF lens options: ULTRA wide lenses (only FF equiv 12mm or lower) - PentaxForums.com

Whichever way you go the important bit will be to see some shots from you too.

Tas
03-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
03-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #7
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Australia Craig. Welcome to the Pentax forums, and maybe the K-1 !!! Good to have you here.
03-21-2017, 01:45 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

come out six months later
Welcome to the forum, I waited eight years for the FF Pentax to come along and by all accounts it's not changing any time soon.

03-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the welcome. I looked at the 15-30, but at $1400+ it's going to have to wait a while for me to get it.

I looked at the Ultrawide forum postings and a lot of them seemed geared towards the APS-C cameras (not surprising since the majorityof Pentax cameras use that size sensor). What are the down sides of using an APS-C lens on the K1?

The IRIX 15 and the Rokinon look to be my best bet, but the Venus Laowa 12mm f2.8 is interesting as well, but a bit more money than I want to spend after buying the camera and 28-105 lens.

Where's the best place to get the F or FA line of lenses? Those might give me a nice set of extra lenses at a decent price point.
03-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Where's the best place to get the F or FA line of lenses? Those might give me a nice set of extra lenses at a decent price point.
Right here in the Marketplace is a good place to start. KEH, B&H, Adorama all have used lenses and good return policies...

Many APS-C lenses will actually cover the FF sensor. Ultra-wide lenses usually don't...You can use the K-1 in crop mode (15 MP) or in FF mode and crop in post.
03-23-2017, 02:14 AM   #11

Hi all,

My first film SLRs were we Pentax (MV-1, ME Super, K1000) but then I moved to Nikon film for while and finally settled on Canon which I've been shooting for the past 20 years. I've been shooting a Canon 70D for the past 3 years, but want to move up to a FF camera. The K1 seems to be the perfect camera for the subjects I like to shoot (Landscape, Architecture, Night shots/astrophotography).

12 years ago I bought my first DSLR the Canon 20D, only to have the 20dA (astronomical version) come out six months later and I'd like to avoid that happening again. So this leads me to a couple of questions.

Thanks
Just bought a K1 last Monday after several months on research on its functionality and its range of lenses. Nowaday I'm a happy Pentax K1 owner after several years from Canon EOS 60D, before that, Canon F1, AE1 (35mm film) and several Canon lenses.

I'm sure there are plenty of wide angle lenses so next on my list are;
Samyang 14mm F2.8 manual lens
Tamron 70-200m F2.8
and possibility Samyang 85mm f1.4 manual - due its review for its sharpness on wide aperture!

Good luck on your choice

Paul
03-23-2017, 02:49 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PJPycroft Quote
Just bought a K1 last Monday after several months on research on its functionality and its range of lenses. Nowaday I'm a happy Pentax K1 owner after several years from Canon EOS 60D, before that, Canon F1, AE1 (35mm film) and several Canon lenses.

Tamron 70-200m F2.8
and possibility Samyang 85mm f1.4 manual - due its review for its sharpness on wide aperture!

Good luck on your choice

Paul
That's a pretty good (and affordable) lineup you're working on, Paul!

03-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJPycroft Quote

Tamron 70-200m F2.8

Good luck on your choice

Paul
Paul,

After quite a bit of research, I'm going to pull the trigger on this if not this week, then in two weeks when I next get paid. I'm going for the 28-105 as my first lens and then the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm 2.8 as well. After that, well... we'll see what I can find in F or FA series lenses. I don't do much in the way of portrait or action shooting, primarily landscape, architecture and night shooting.

Nice to know that I'm not the only one jumping from Canon to Pentax. One thing I like about the K1 as opposed to the Canon 5dM3 (which was my other option in going FF) is I can use the crop sensor lenses on the FF camera (albeit in crop mode for the most part) but in somce cases it might make sense for long telephotos at a lower price point to extend the reach.

I can't wait to get it and post some pictures.
03-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

This is not for you..it is for the Canon guys that view this thread and cry! It's about time!

Welcome to the PForums, a wonderfully fantastic site.....no other site compares! You will love the K1 as much as everyone else, it is an amazing camera! Be sure to visit the K1 Photo Thread!

I can use the crop sensor lenses on the FF camera (albeit in crop mode for the most part) but in somce cases it might make sense for long telephotos at a lower price point to extend the reach.
I love the Crop Mode on the K1 for using my Bigma 50-500. Almost all of these were shot in the Crop Mode......very useful for wildlife shooting!
Pentax K1 | Flickr

Look forward to seeing you post your K1 work among the others here that love our K1 Pentax cameras.

Best Regards!
03-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #15

Paul,
One thing I like about the K1 as opposed to the Canon 5dM3 (which was my other option in going FF) is I can use the crop sensor lenses on the FF camera (albeit in crop mode for the most part) but in somce cases it might make sense for long telephotos at a lower price point to extend the reach.

I can't wait to get it and post some pictures.
In crop mode, at f/8 the 55-300 is pretty great by almost all standards. Some people are happy wide open, but an equivalent 450mm f/11 lens for $199 (price used) is pretty great!