Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi everyone

Hello all,
I was given the link to this site from someone at another site I post on.
First I'm glad I found out about this site. Here's my story:
I'm 46 and decided to return to college. After starting out with a different major I decided to go into Media Technology with a concentration in photography, after a friend said I have the photographic eye. I hope to use both eyes for this career! I have a Canon A570 Point and Shoot and of coarse I need a DSLR. Well after much searching, touching and playing with many different cameras I decided on the Pentax K200D. Price is a huge factor though. Maybe I can find one here for a good price with a lens.
I saved up enough money to quit working for 24-36 months while I persue my education. I had a limit of $500 for the camera, now though I went to $600 and even that isn't enough. So I'm looking and watching for a good deal on this amazing camera. Sigh I'm putting off purchasing it until after the ninth of next month due to other expenses. Class, book and lab fees.
I acutally feel asahmed to post because I don't have my camera yet, but I wanted to say hi and hopefully get some good advice from other pentax owners.
I want to do nature and travel photgraphy and perhaps photojournalism.
Thanks,
Judi

08-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Banned

Welcome to the forums.

there is a K200D for sale in the market place for $499 but I cant guarantee how long it will be available.

QuoteQuote:
K200D (body) $499 OBO (Or Best Offer) – Was bought 6/27/08 for $698. Have cut-out the UPC code from the box for the rebate. I was going to sell it for $599, but because of the rebate I can pass it on to you for $499. I still haven’t gotten it yet, probably a month more. The main LCD and top LCD are protected by plastic film screen protectors so no scratch. The body is in excellent condition (of course not like new), no dent. It’s showing specks of dust on the mirror which I couldn’t believe how, when I changed lenses only several times indoor. They don’t affect the picture but it bothers me a bit. The box, manuals, CD, cables are still intact.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/33946-k200d-bod...-af360fgz.html

keep an eye on the marketplace here, pentaxforums.com/photographers-marketplace you can get great deals from honest sellers, with the added bonus of knowing they are pentax shooters and take care of their equipment. all without the typical ebay ridiculousness or shoddy retail service from online vendors.
08-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking the leap in both your education and your photography. Is there anywhere that you can get a student discount?
08-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking the leap in both your education and your photography. Is there anywhere that you can get a student discount?

Thank you for the welcome and the congrats on my going back to school. I'm very proud to be doing so at 46. No I have checked and there is no student discount on cameras, but great discounts on software, which I'm told I will appreciate later on.

08-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcome. Yes I saw the K200 at the markeplace, but I'm unable to purchase one until September ninth. I'm borrowing student loan money for school for the purpose of getting a camera and the other necessary equipment I need. I will keep watching the marketplace for one of these or perhaps a K10 or K20.
Judi
08-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Back in the day a K1000 with a 50mm lens was the student camera of choice. The equivalent today would be a K100D Super with a 28mm lens. There's really no reason to shell out for the K20D. If you end up having more money there are always more lenses to buy.

I'd grab an older 28mm manual focus and the FA 50mm. Those would be two good lengths to be working on.

Last edited by rparmar; 08-11-2008 at 12:09 PM.