Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #1

New user and astro trace

Hello everyone, I'm primarily a Sony user but have been tempted to add the Pentax K3-3II to my cameras because of the Astrotrace function ( must add I'm pleased with the camera for other functionality too but that didn't influence my buying decision ).

So far the best I have managed is 1 minute with the 50mm lens although consistent results are nearer 30 seconds. Based on the C sensor size I wouldn't expect more than 3 or 4 seconds without star trailing with this lens. I would also normally use a Skywatcher Adventurer to track the stars, obviously with longer exposure times but that would also require polar alignment so I see the Pentax ( at this stage 3 days since purchase ).

I'm hoping to find other is this group that use the Pentax K3 II for astro work and compare achievements in exposure times , swap knowledge on lenses etc.

I'm also interested in using legacy lenses so hope to find discussions on the good and the bad experiences.

Attached my first astro Pentax image

Attached Images

04-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum John.
Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)
04-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi John and Welcome to the forum...

The forum has a "social group" for AstroPhotrography - actually it's more of a technical group, but just subscribe and you will get the updates automagically. There are almost 200 in the group and it's fairly active. Usually a post or three a day.
04-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. Nice stars/astro shot.

04-05-2017, 12:00 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that technical night time stuff.
04-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #6
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia John. Welcome to the Pentax forums, and the wonderful K-3 II. The link to the group @interested_observer has supplied is excellent. Good to have you aboard.
04-05-2017, 01:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Hi John and Welcome to the forum...

The forum has a "social group" for AstroPhotrography - actually it's more of a technical group, but just subscribe and you will get the updates automagically. There are almost 200 in the group and it's fairly active. Usually a post or three a day.
Brilliant thank you
04-05-2017, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from Australia John. Welcome to the Pentax forums, and the wonderful K-3 II. The link to the group @interested_observer has supplied is excellent. Good to have you aboard.
Had a great astro photography session in the Glass House mountains last time I visited the family......take the Pentax next time to do some tracked shots ! 😃

04-05-2017, 01:44 AM   #9
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums, John. That is a nice shot to start with. Satellites? One looks like an Iridium flare.
04-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from Chicago. Eventually I'll join the local astronomy club and visit their darksite. I've played with astrotrace in the yard, but even in the dead of winter there's too much interference.
04-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Welcome to the Forums, John. That is a nice shot to start with. Satellites? One looks like an Iridium flare.
Yes two satellites and an iridium flare .

---------- Post added 04-06-17 at 10:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome from Chicago. Eventually I'll join the local astronomy club and visit their darksite. I've played with astrotrace in the yard, but even in the dead of winter there's too much interference.
Been into Astro photography for a few years. Usually with telescope . Then Don't with wife girls and Skywatcher Adventurer.

Bought the Pentax For quick
Wide field grabs . Generally impressed with the Pentax 😀

---------- Post added 04-06-17 at 10:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Been into Astro photography for a few years. Usually with telescope . Then with Sony for wide field and Skywatcher Adventurer.

Bought the Pentax For quick
Wide field grabs . Generally impressed with the Pentax 😀
04-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! I think you'll find people of the pentax community very helpful and eager to share their experiences. I've been using the astrotracer with a K-30 and a K-5 but I suspect all cameras share the same astrotracer algorithms. I'm putting the last touch on a website about the tracer here. Have a look and don't hesitate to ask questions or send comments.
04-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
Welcome aboard! I think you'll find people of the pentax community very helpful and eager to share their experiences. I've been using the astrotracer with a K-30 and a K-5 but I suspect all cameras share the same astrotracer algorithms. I'm putting the last touch on a website about the tracer here. Have a look and don't hesitate to ask questions or send comments.
Thank you