Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2017, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a new discovwered passion

Hi everyone, I have just discovered this new passion of mine...and I already have a question to ask.

I have this RMC Tokina 80-200 1:4 from the old days and I would like to know if I can use it on my
K-50. Looks like it's a PK mount... I've already research how to change the settings on my camera
so I can use older lenses, but would just like to know for sure... I also have a SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm (asahi)
that i'm pretty confident will mount on the K-50... but for the Tokina, do I need an adapter?

François

04-09-2017, 12:15 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia François. Welcome to the Pentax forums. If you have used the Tokina on a previous Pentax camera body, it will be fine on your K-50. If the rear lens cap has PK on it, all is well. If it does not have PK, try and take a photo of the lens mount using your 50mm 1.7, and the members here will tell you which mount it is. Good to have you here.
04-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't help with lens question as I'm not familiar with Tokina products.
04-09-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by françois Quote
I have this RMC Tokina 80-200 1:4 from the old days and I would like to know if I can use it on my K-50. Looks like it's a PK mount..
G'day François,

Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your time here along with enjoying your new discovered passion.

If you have any concerns about whether the Tokina is K mount, you can take some photos of the mount and post it into the lens thread section of the forum to ask for it to be identified. Plenty of people around here will recognise not just whether it is K mount but what mount it is if it isn't K mount.

All the best, and hopefully we'll see some photos of your lovely countryside around here too.

Tas

04-09-2017, 04:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by françois Quote
I also have a SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm (asahi) that i'm pretty confident will mount on the K-50.
Yes, it will! Good lens, too
I don't know the other one. Maybe you can take a photo of its mount and upload it here? Look like Tokina at least made that kind of lens in K-mount, so there is hope:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tokina-80-200mm-f-4.html

K-mount is pretty distinctive, but the Sigma mount and some old Nikon mount look kind of similar. Another problem might be the K-mount with the infamous Ricoh pin. You can search the forum for info about that lens or the Ricoh pin in general.
04-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

As someone else has already said, if it worked on a previous Pentax (or Ricoh, or Chinon, or Sears) camera, it will work on any Pentax. So that's what really matters - what was the last camera it went on?

As for the Ricoh pin, this only matters for lenses with auto-aperture capability (an A or P setting on the aperture ring adjacent to the narrowest aperture, whatever that is; usually 22 or 32). If there are no aperture contacts, there will likely be no Ricoh pin*; third-party lenses in the aperture-control era were generally manufactured to be compatible with both Pentax and Ricoh bodies (since they used the same, otherwise completely cross-compatible, K mount).

My film-era Tokina zoom has the Ricoh Pin; Tokina were polite and meticulous enough to fit the rounded version, which slips easily out of engagement and doesn't get stuck in the screwdrive slot of DSLRs. Lesser third-party manufacturers were not as generous, and fitted a cylindrical, squared-off version. This is the one that causes trouble.

* The exception to this rule is for actual Rikenon P lenses, which were built first and foremost to work with Ricoh film bodies and with only secondary consideration given to cross-compatibility with Pentax. But back in those days the aperture reporting arm was still present on most if not all Pentax cameras and this was less of a concern.

Last edited by pathdoc; 04-09-2017 at 06:32 AM.
04-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from Australia François. Welcome to the Pentax forums. If you have used the Tokina on a previous Pentax camera body, it will be fine on your K-50. If the rear lens cap has PK on it, all is well. If it does not have PK, try and take a photo of the lens mount using your 50mm 1.7, and the members here will tell you which mount it is. Good to have you here.
Sorry about the photos quality... was a bit in a rush... First two, and the last one are for the Tokina 80-200mm. the other two for the Pentax M-series 50mm

here they are:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
04-11-2017, 03:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

That P/K is the key - Pentax K mount. You should be good to go. An old Pentax lens, of course, is always good to go on a Pentax DSLR - here is how you do it, just to have the method handy.

When the camera asks you to input the focal length for shake reduction on the zoom, pick a value somewhere in the middle if you're going to be changing the focal length a lot. If you're going to be taking plenty of shots at one focal length, set it manually to that.