Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
Banned

Hi, I am new in this forum? what is the main think before buy a slr camera.

what is the main think before buy a slr camera? my budget is under $500. I am also new in photography . So need some information about camera. which camera is good for beginner? and which feature is must for a beginner photography. don't lough with my question!!

thanks and wait for reply

04-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's your goal? What do you plan to shoot?
04-09-2017, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Izajpro,

It's just my opinion but pick up a simple used camera that has full manual controls.

It will take you a long time to really learn manual and it will require a lot of reading and study but in the end you will be a better photographer.

Your camera should also be able to record photos in RAW format.

Getting a starter camera doesn't need to be expensive.

Your lenses will ultimately be much more important.
04-09-2017, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The primary reason someone buys a DSLR over other camera types is the ability to change lenses. So that the same camera body can be useful in many different situations. If you do not plan on buying additional lenses then looking at a smaller camera with an integral zoom can provide a good experience.

That said the things to look for in a DSLR are:
1) Quality of the camera build, how tough it will be and will it last
2) Ergonomics, how does it fit and feel in your hand. Are the buttons easy to reach and logically laid out
3) Availability of the lenses that you want. Having a hundred lenses is unimportant if you only need 1 or 2 or 3 as long as those are available

The quality of the image is almost irrelevant at this time. There is no significant difference between any modern DSLR particularly at the beginner level.

So determine what you want to shoot and what lenses you need to do that. If you can pick up and handle several cameras and find one that fits your hand and you feel comfortable with.

04-09-2017, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Hi! A DSLR is a complicated camera, it takes some time to learn. At first, you will only take bad photos, like all of us did, but after you learn all the functions, then you can get much better photos than with those little Automatic cameras!
There are two ways to choose a camera. One is to know exactly what you need, which lenses, which features, and get the camera that fits best. The other way is to set your budget and go to a store, and hold different cameras that fit into your budget. The feeling is very important for beginners!
Anyway, I recommend K-S1 if you want something really small and fashionable. K-S2 if you want something a little stronger. K-50 is a good model, too, but it is a little old technology by now. The K-50 is really popular and can be found for good price. I really recommend you get extra warranty with any DSLR.

And another thing is that with a DSLR, the LENSES are really important. So I recommend you put part of your budget into lenses. You can start with something like the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. It is better than the Pentax DA 18-55mm kit lens (kit lens is the basic lens that comes with a DSLR, it is usually the worst lens in the lens lineup). Just make sure the Tamron is "for Pentax", because brands like Tamron, Sigma, Samyang make lenses that fit various camera brands

One more thing, to be fair. Pentax can do video, but it is not the best at video. Pentax is focused on taking still images of high quality. If you want to use camera for video, I recommend you get a Sony camcorder or a Canon camera instead. Those brands are a bit better at video recording. Comes down to your priorities

Tl;dr: Go to a camera store where you can see and touch the cameras. K-S2 is a great camera. K-S1 is a bit smaller, more affordable. K-50 is also fine, even if a bit old. Pentax KP is the newest one, really great, but a bit expensive.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-09-2017 at 10:47 AM.
04-09-2017, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by izajpro12 Quote
which camera is good for beginner?
Welcome to the forum, so much depends in what you intend to photograph and what expectations you have for your pictures.
04-09-2017, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, being that you are in the US chances are you won't be anywhere near a store that carries Pentax, about all you'll see is some lower priced Canons and maybe a Nikon or Sony. Internet sales is how most of the camera industry is conducting business now. So buying most cameras and lenses is a leap of faith. And truly, there's nothing really bad out there. But you want to have an idea of what you want to achieve with your photography so you can at least go in the right direction. For the most part with Pentax you get a lot more camera for the same price as the other brands, they tend to offer lower models that are not feature stripped. They are more rugged, offering weather sealing at much lower price points.Are the perfect? - no. I would be hesitant paying much for used cameras (of any brand) without a warranty, the last three Pentax cameras I have bought have all went in for a warranty repair.

Before I bought into Pentax I did a ton of research into different systems, camera features, lens costs, etc. I chose Pentax at the time because of built in Shake reduction, weather sealing, and cost of lenses. Well I got my camera and before I could buy the first additional lens the lens prices rose dramatically. But I love the system and found ways around it and the prices actually go up and down from time to time. So things can and do happen, but you'll be fine in whatever you choose.

04-09-2017, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Maybe something like a new K-S2 with the 18-50 WR lens (combo). It does not have a top lcd for reading settings (it uses a rear lcd screen for that), but otherwise it might provide a lot that you may want and would be a nice learning experience. You would mostly be using it for landscape and people most likely, if you got something like that. That camera/lens combination costs approximately $529.99 on Amazon. Otherwise, you could possibly get something used like a K-5 and a used lens for it depending on your needs.

Below is a shortcut to the K-S2/18-50 lens combination offer on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-S2-18-50mm-WR-Black/dp/B00SYIDZNY/ref=sr_1_1...ds=pentax+k-s2

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-09-2017 at 12:04 PM.
04-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You should include a battery charger, a spare battery (both specific to the camera) and at least one memory card in your budget. Also you will need to be able to transfer your files to a computer so that you can work on your shots with free or paid-for software.
04-09-2017, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome. Here on the Marketplace, there are many used cameras in good quality, like a K-30, KS-1, even a K-5 for a low cost, and inexpensive lenses, like a 50mm.

The main thing to look for is fully manual aperture, shutter, and ISO settings so you can learn how to create a photograph.
04-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks for your cooperation and reply.
04-15-2017, 02:41 AM   #12

If you are willing to buy a digital SLR camera then you should follow this guide and review. Best DSLR Cameras 2017 - Buyer's Guide & Reviews
Pentax k-70 would be perfect for your budget. Once you got the camera, it would be more easy for you to learn more about photography.

Happy to be any help.
04-15-2017, 03:01 AM   #13

Hi. I know i am new to Pentax but have been photographing a few years and one of the first things i like to find out about is Shutter Count, i think it's always wise to find out with the seller showing proof of this. If the seller is genuine he won't mind providing this. Also condition of the body is important, if you can't collect in person make sure the seller has plenty of pictures of the camera and has a return policy in case your not happy.
Hope This Helps
Tim
04-15-2017, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

1 I am no expert but I will say that I would first say use the resources of the forum - don't make the "mistake" I made and ignore some sections of the forum when I first joined.

if you have not done so, go to the listings at the top, let's start with "camera" if you want. by using that link you will find reviews of multiple cameras and a tool which allows you to compare cameras side by side along with links to specific camera threads.

the "lens" link does similar

you may want to consider alternative ways to carrying your camera and/or equipment so check out the "Accessories" section

and when you make your decision on what you want check out the Buy/Sell section as well.

2 I would suggest is that you do as you are doing, ask questions and for any help you want.

3 check out this thread:

Need help picking your Pentax gear? Check out our recommended Pentax equipment list! (New for 2016)

Recommended Pentax Gear 2016 - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

4 if you are from the US and can afford the cost, consider going to one of the rental companies, (I have used Lensrental.com from Tennessee) and renting some equipment for your own personal testing. Some of those companies may offer to sell used equipment and some might even apply the rental fee to the purchase price.

5 take photos, practice and post thoughts, experiences and photos here for us to enjoy.

good luck on any "business" you start up

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-15-2017 at 03:11 AM.
04-15-2017, 03:46 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by izajpro12 Quote
what is the main think before buy a slr camera? my budget is under $500. I am also new in photography . So need some information about camera. which camera is good for beginner? and which feature is must for a beginner photography. don't lough with my question!!

thanks and wait for reply

I would advocate getting something cheap to learn with and use that as a benchmark. Keep most of your budget for when you have a better idea of what you might need from a DSLR.
Or.....
Check with friends and family to see if they have something languishing in a cupboard that they would let you have to play with. So many developments in DSLR's over the last 10 years means the early models have been superceded by models with much larger sensors and higher ISO ceilings but the older models still have ability.
I loaned my Nephew-in-law's wife a Pentax K-R and a Tamron 70-300mm lens to play with (she has an Olympus M4/3 DSLR) so she could see what was available in other makes before she spent out on a long zoom for her Olympus. The K-R and Olympus differences enabling her to establish what she might upgrade to in the future.
My first DSLR was a Pentax K100D Super and I still have it. It features;
AA battery power, if you can find Lithium batteries cheap they are good.
Top LCD, just like flagship models.
A good sensor, albeit with 6mps and lowest ISO of 200.
Shake reduction, not as effective as later models but does work.
Access to a huge number of legacy manual glass.
You might get one for $50 with the 18-55mm lens!
Uses SD cards, as the files are small, older, slower cards are fine.

The downsides are;
If the camera has not been used for some time, the camera might need to be "jump started" by removing and replacing the batteries (fresh ones) then switching on a couple of times. It worked with mine after it had been idle for nearly a year.
Pixel peeping and heavy cropping is not very satisfying.
Closed Thread