Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hi everyone, new arrival , came looking for answers to the pentax collapse rumours.

Hi to all, I'm nick. Use a k3 which in my mind is one of the best out there. Came here looking for answers to the pentax rumours that they were going to give up on the camera market but am pleased to find out that's it's all crap . Am looking to purchase the k1 in June so was a bit of a shock to think they were giving it up. Anyway ........what would be a good landscape lens for the k1, would be looking to use a lee filter system with it. ANYONE? Thanks nick

04-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That has been discussed quite a bit already.
RICOH Stays Committed to the Pentax Brand - PentaxForums.com
Pentax IS NOT Dooooooomed - PentaxForums.com
and perhaps more.
04-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Hello Nick, and welcome to the clubhouse.

The rumors are just that. Rumors.

The subject has been beaten to death a few times here, so not much to see except whiners and naysayers.

Forget all that rumor stuff. Waste of time, energy and emotion.

There is, however, lots of great stuff here, and many very helpful and friendly people. So grab a cup of coffee, tea or a beer, and browse around. It is a big place. There are lens clubs, camera specific sections, places where you can share your work if you choose, even a place where you can post a shot if you are looking for critique. There are contests going on all the time too.

I think the Pentaxian Lounge is closed for n00bs, so get to browsing the other areas and get to know the crowd. Once you have enough posts the lounge will open up. Even more fun stuff there.

Glad to have you join up!

Cheers,
Racer
04-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard.

Well if you are speaking in geologic time then all of us are doomed. I guess that would include Pentax too. But the K1 it is a great camera for what you want to do with it. My favorite hammer to use is an old hand forged cross peen hammer that is pushing 200 years old. It still works fine. So even if Pentax were to go under, the camera is still going to perform for quite some time. It is a tool so use it like one. And as I said it is awesome for landscape photography, Probably the best FF camera you can use for that type of photography.

04-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Welcome aboard.

Well if you are speaking in geologic time then all of us are doomed. I guess that would include Pentax too. But the K1 it is a great camera for what you want to do with it. My favorite hammer to use is an old hand forged cross peen hammer that is pushing 200 years old. It still works fine. So even if Pentax were to go under, the camera is still going to perform for quite some time. It is a tool so use it like one. And as I said it is awesome for landscape photography, Probably the best FF camera you can use for that type of photography.
Any ideas on which lens would work best with it? The 15-30 has a fixed lens hood so would not be able to use the lee filter system with it. Would prefer a prime anyway. Thanks
04-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicks_k3_photos Quote
Any ideas on which lens would work best with it? The 15-30 has a fixed lens hood so would not be able to use the lee filter system with it. Would prefer a prime anyway. Thanks
Start here: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Lots of great glass, new and old. The listings have an icon that shows if a lens is FF compatible or not.

But I wouldn't limit my choices to only Pentax lenses. There are many great gems from Sigma and Tamron. And don't discount the Soviet era stuff, in M42 mount. Adaptable and many great performers.

One of the greatest things about the K mount is the volume of lenses that can be used.
04-16-2017, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The thing to remember is that on a K-1 there is no crop factor, so a 28mm is about the widest FOV without distortion, even a 31-35mm would be wider than normal on a K-1. Most DA series, FA-series lenses, and most M lenses are threaded for filters. The PF marketplace is a great place to look for deal on good to excellent quality used lenses.

04-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicks_k3_photos Quote
This is a commonly seen but erroneus statement.

The 15-30 does not take a standard screw in filter system, but at least four companies make an adaptor for the 15-30 to fit filters, inluding Lee: The LEE SW150 Mark II Filter System especially designed for a range of popular ultra-wideangle lenses.

You can also check out Haida and Nisi as well as Fotodiox for filter options to fit the 15-30. None of these systems are that cheap, but there are a range of prices between those options to help manage costs.

Search the forums for more details on who's fitting what type of filter for their 15-30. Also search the interwebs for people fitting filters to the Tamron version of the 15-30 and the Nikon 12-24 as they're using the same >100mm filter systems. Between all that you should have plenty of info and feedback on what to aim for if the 15-30 interests you and you want to add filters to it.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Tas
04-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
This is a commonly seen but erroneus statement.

The 15-30 does not take a standard screw in filter system, but at least four companies make an adaptor for the 15-30 to fit filters, inluding Lee: The LEE SW150 Mark II Filter System especially designed for a range of popular ultra-wideangle lenses.

You can also check out Haida and Nisi as well as Fotodiox for filter options to fit the 15-30. None of these systems are that cheap, but there are a range of prices between those options to help manage costs.

Search the forums for more details on who's fitting what type of filter for their 15-30. Also search the interwebs for people fitting filters to the Tamron version of the 15-30 and the Nikon 12-24 as they're using the same >100mm filter systems. Between all that you should have plenty of info and feedback on what to aim for if the 15-30 interests you and you want to add filters to it.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Tas
Thanks tas , will look into it, appreciate your time .
04-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome, you enjoy that K1 once you get hands on.
04-17-2017, 02:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome.

I guess by landscape lens you mean an ultra wide angle? The 15-30 is very nice. A lot of folks use the Samyang 14mm. Irix has a 15mm lens as well, but I have heard quite a few reports about problems with focus and decentering with that one, for what its worth.

I own the DFA 24-70 and the 15-30 and bother serve quite nicely to take landscape images.

Good luck!
04-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Welcome.

I guess by landscape lens you mean an ultra wide angle? The 15-30 is very nice. A lot of folks use the Samyang 14mm. Irix has a 15mm lens as well, but I have heard quite a few reports about problems with focus and decentering with that one, for what its worth.

I own the DFA 24-70 and the 15-30 and bother serve quite nicely to take landscape images.

Good luck!
That's great , thanks so much for your input .
04-17-2017, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Welcome Nicks_k3_photos.

I have had the K1 only two weeks and already I regard it as a legendary camera.

Welcome to the club.