Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #1

GPS destination list for Australia

Hi I'm new to the forum, I have recently been gifted a Pentax 5- iis, originally I started out with a K-30, which I loved and had until I moved up to current camera. Anyway, all cameras I've ever had have never had GPS, this one has but is missing Australia.. Is there a download I can add to my memory card?
Thanks in advance, NatBird :0)

04-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Gallery
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund......... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I must be missing something... I thought the GPS on cameras just told you where you were.
04-21-2017, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know the GPS unit that fitted to the flash shoe gave the K-5 the ability to point you in the direction that a Photo on the card was taken. I don't know if this carried through to the later inbuilt GPS models, I have the K-1, as I never used it anyway, I never looked to see if it did. I know where I am at all times as my wife just tells me where to go. I don't know if she has GPS built in though.
04-21-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The K5IIs does not have a built in GPS - to access to GPS and make use of its functions is only possible when the Pentax O-GPS module is powered and attached to the hot shoe on the K5IIs.

04-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from " a little bit south " Natalie. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you aboard.
04-21-2017, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have tried to use GPS on My K-1 but so far no luck, always
Red
No positioning
after calibration, do we have GPS satellites over Australia, I thought we did?
Well I live on the 5th floor in high rise apartment block , maybe I need to get out to be able to calibrate GPS?
04-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
do we have GPS satellites over Australia, I thought we did?
yes,we do.

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Well I live on the 5th floor in high rise apartment block , maybe I need to get out to be able to calibrate GPS?
There is your problem: GPS units are supposed to be used outdoors.
04-22-2017, 05:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
yes,we do.

There is your problem: GPS units are supposed to be used outdoors.

Digitalis is right. In order for any GPS system to work properly, it has to "see" several satellites. GPS satellites are lower orbit devices. At any one time a GPS devices is locked onto several of them. As they orbit the earth the device will lose some and acquire others. GPS devices have trouble inside buildings, in canyons and sometimes even in deep forests. Think of how much of the sky you can see. Your device is essentially seeing the same amount of sky. It needs to lock onto several satellites at once to properly determine it's position.

04-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, I must be missing something... I thought the GPS on cameras just told you where you were.
Thank you and yes it has destinations, but the programming is missing Australia. (UK, China,USA, Instanbul). That's what I'd like to fix up.
04-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
I know the GPS unit that fitted to the flash shoe gave the K-5 the ability to point you in the direction that a Photo on the card was taken. I don't know if this carried through to the later inbuilt GPS models, I have the K-1, as I never used it anyway, I never looked to see if it did. I know where I am at all times as my wife just tells me where to go. I don't know if she has GPS built in though.
Love that! I know where I'm at to, I was curious about it as it's nice to have a record for a later date to see where images were taken. The K-5iis still has the GPS program and says to download destination list onto memory card and reset it on my camera but where to find the information list is where I'm stumped.��
04-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NatBird Quote
I know where I'm at to, I was curious about it as it's nice to have a record for a later date to see where images were taken.
You don't need to set a destination to record GPS tagging data - GPS satellites signals can be picked up from almost anywhere, and will be accurate enough regardless of location. The navigation>destination tool is useful if you go hiking somewhere and want to be able to recall the location you were at when you took a picture. It is basically a simplified TomTom GPS.

it has destinations, but the programming is missing Australia. (UK, China,USA, Instanbul). That's what I'd like to fix up.

Those are just basic preset destinations in the camera, I think they are locations of pentax offices or service centers*. You can make your own destinations.

he K-5iis still has the GPS program and says to download destination list onto memory card and reset it on my camera but where to find the information list is where I'm stumped.
This only works for custom destinations, GPS data from photos on the memory card can be used to create a destination. What you are expecting is for pentax to offer a downloadable list with all the destinations you want - a standalone downloadable version of this list does not exist, it is embedded in the camera firmware.

* If this is indeed the case, most of these locations will be incorrect.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-23-2017 at 03:07 AM.