Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2017, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #1

New K-1 owner from the Pentax Spotmatic

I have just purchased the K-1 and also still have the Spotmatic which I won third place in a world wide Pentax photo contest many years ago. Things have changed.

05-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a different world now.
Though if you still have nice lenses from back then, they're still nice lenses. They'll need hoods, of course.
05-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
Things have changed.
They certainly have, and that is quite the leap if you've used nothing in between!!!

which I won third place in a world wide Pentax photo contest many years ago
Nicely done. You should be able to do great things with a K-1, then. Buy the M42-K adapter and get your old lenses rocking.
05-05-2017, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, good grief... that's like the Wright Brothers to Moon landing in one step.

05-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
Closed Account

Hi from Australia wings, and welcome to the Pentax forums and the wonderful K-1 !!! Good to have you aboard.
05-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Things have changed.
Welcome to the 21st century! "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore..."

regards,

Last edited by BigDave; 05-05-2017 at 07:16 PM.
05-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first 'real' camera was a Spotmatic F, now sharing film platforms with digital, including a K-1, and liking both. --Looking forward to seeing some of your way of seeing the world.

05-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
It's a different world now.
Though if you still have nice lenses from back then, they're still nice lenses. They'll need hoods, of course.
Thanks.
I only have two lenses left, and only one seems to fit the k-mount. The other one is a vivatar telephoto that does not like the K-1 mount for some reason. It fits and works fine on the Spotmatic.

---------- Post added 05-05-17 at 07:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
They certainly have, and that is quite the leap if you've used nothing in between!!!

Nicely done. You should be able to do great things with a K-1, then. Buy the M42-K adapter and get your old lenses rocking.
Quite a leap indeed and thanks for the compliment. I really didn't know that I had won third place until many months later when I received a package from Pentax containing a pair of binoculars. The package had followed me from England where I was stationed and then to the States.

---------- Post added 05-05-17 at 07:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, good grief... that's like the Wright Brothers to Moon landing in one step.
I have been known to do things that way. Interesting that you mentioned the Moon landing as that was about the time that I took the Pentax contest photos. Thanks.

---------- Post added 05-05-17 at 07:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Welcome to the 21st century! "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore..."

regards,
The K-1 is quite a camera. There is much for me to learn. Thanks.

---------- Post added 05-05-17 at 07:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
My first 'real' camera was a Spotmatic F, now sharing film platforms with digital, including a K-1, and liking both. --Looking forward to seeing some of your way of seeing the world.
Thanks for the kind words Jacquot.
05-06-2017, 02:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks.
I only have two lenses left, and only one seems to fit the k-mount. The other one is a vivatar telephoto that does not like the K-1 mount for some reason. It fits and works fine on the Spotmatic.
Now that's interesting. I would have thought any M42 lens would fit a K-1 on an M42 adapter, unless there are issues with the sheer width of the lens outer body. I know that in K mount, some of the Vivitars had an extended protective flange around their aperture gear that prevents them from locking on (I've got one that has this issue), but I never knew there were M42 issues in that respect.