Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #1

Hello From Pacific Grove California

Greetings all, I am an amateur photographer and collector of Vintage and Antique Film Cameras including several Pentax SLRs, I am in the market for a Digital format that maximizes the potential of my MF Lens inventory. Super glad to find this resource, such a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

05-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I remember Pacific Grove fondly from my time at DLI, so many beautiful places for photography!

You will get a ton of opinions, but I've used many SLR-era M42, and K mount lense on the K-5, K-30, both crop sensor/APS-C DSLRs, and the K-1 full frame camera, and they all work incredibly well. The APS-C camera add a factor of 15 to all lenses, so a 50mm gives a view like that of a 75mm. The K-1, being a full frame camera, will give you a view that is the same as an SLR, so a 50mm is a 50mm.

Whether you choose APS-C, or the K-1, you'll find that the sensors on both DSLRs show off the lenses' clarity incredibly well. If you have the budget, I recommend the K-1, but if you want to spend less, the APS-C K-3 is the current flagship, and it gets high marks from its users here on the forum. The K-5 is a great camera, I wouldn' hesitate to buy one used here at the PF marketplace of you want a low priced entry into the DSLR format.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
05-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! I am well acquainted with PG. My mom lived there for several years. As a kid, I spent a couple summers there, including once living at what is now the Steinbeck museum (when it was just a house) at 222 Central.

This looks like the other time. Can't remember the address, which I am sure is buried in the family history.
Name:  BTYR0734.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  96.1 KB

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-06-2017 at 02:17 PM.
05-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Australia, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you aboard.

05-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
05-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendation, I have been shooting a Canon APS-C for a few years and I think I'm leaning toward a full frame rig.
I am a hobbyist and haven't yet been able to monetize my work so it can be difficult to justify the cost (to my wife).

Looking forward to contribute to the forums, I really like the idea of weekly and regular "assignments" for the POTW, gives me a subject, rather than " hey a bird, hey a butterfly, hey the ocean"

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Welcome! I remember Pacific Grove fondly from my time at DLI, so many beautiful places for photography!

You will get a ton of opinions, but I've used many SLR-era M42, and K mount lense on the K-5, K-30, both crop sensor/APS-C DSLRs, and the K-1 full frame camera, and they all work incredibly well. The APS-C camera add a factor of 15 to all lenses, so a 50mm gives a view like that of a 75mm. The K-1, being a full frame camera, will give you a view that is the same as an SLR, so a 50mm is a 50mm.

Whether you choose APS-C, or the K-1, you'll find that the sensors on both DSLRs show off the lenses' clarity incredibly well. If you have the budget, I recommend the K-1, but if you want to spend less, the APS-C K-3 is the current flagship, and it gets high marks from its users here on the forum. The K-5 is a great camera, I wouldn' hesitate to buy one used here at the PF marketplace of you want a low priced entry into the DSLR format.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
05-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
That picture looks like it could have been taken yesterday! And that Bus! So many windows This place hasn't changed too much I suppose.
Thanks for the warm welcome, looking forward to contributing

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Welcome to the forum! I am well acquainted with PG. My mom lived there for several years. As a kid, I spent a couple summers there, including once living at what is now the Steinbeck museum (when it was just a house) at 222 Central.

This looks like the other time. Can't remember the address, which I am sure is buried in the family history.
Attachment 354863
05-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
Cheers! I'm quite happy to find this place!
Looking forward to sharing

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from Australia, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you aboard.

05-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
Many Thanks, glad to be here

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to the forums.
05-07-2017, 12:22 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Antiquarian Quote
I think I'm leaning toward a full frame rig.
Welcome to the forum, if you can swing it past the "accountant", the K1 makes for a fine FF camera with full backwards K mount lens capability.
05-07-2017, 06:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Antiquarian Quote
Looking forward to contribute to the forums, I really like the idea of weekly and regular "assignments" for the POTW
The POTW is a good place to start. In my signature are links for the Single In, and Daily In groups. A fun loving bunch of Pentaxians.

I've rented the K-1 several times, a full frame camera is expensive to purchase. borrowlense.com has both the K-1 and K-3 for rent, you could try before you buy at very reasonable rental prices. I find that when I rent, I usually make it a point to USE the equipment as much as possible, too.
05-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, if you can swing it past the "accountant", the K1 makes for a fine FF camera with full backwards K mount lens capability.
And with a relatively inexpensive adaptor - buy only the Pentax branded one, the rest have flaws - you con use M42 lenses just fine. My one and only "normal" lens is a Takumar.

Welcome!
05-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
And with a relatively inexpensive adaptor - buy only the Pentax branded one, the rest have flaws - you con use M42 lenses just fine.
Exactly, I have two M42 takumar, and a T-mount Kalimar mirror lens, all work well with an adapter.