Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2017, 12:49 AM   #1

Hello from Sunset Shores MI

Hello folks. New here and thinking of getting a new camera.

I currently have a couple of older point and shoot cameras, a Canon PowerShot A1100 IS and an Olympus of which I don't recall the model number. While both take pictures that are OK for what they are they are dated. I should also probably mention that I have about a 35 year old Olympus OM-1 film camera with 4 Olympus OM series Zuiko lenses. Was thinking of getting a digital camera much better than what I have, but don't think I need a top of the line professional camera and the cost associated with such a camera.

I have been looking a little bit at some of the cameras now available and find a lot of it confusing, but I'm slowly educating myself even though I am technologically challenged. The photography I plan to do at least initially would be some gun pics and some project pictures such as rebuilding a vise. Might be some close ups doing that. Some wildlife photography, such as birds at the feeder or perhaps some pictures of opportunity. The feeders aren't far from the widows, maybe 40 feet max. I know that if I start shooting wildlife I'll probably need a good telephoto. Probably some people pictures too, and maybe a few action photos such as runners or bicyclist. Might be doing some landscape vacation style photos also and some sunsets as at times the sunsets here are spectacular.

I have somewhat been looking at the Pentax K-3 II. Metal body, not plastic, weather resistant, with GPS. Stabilization built into the camera body Operating temperature down to 14° which is much better than most, it gets cold in Michigan. Still kind of confused about the available Pentax lenses and what to get for use as a prime lens. I would like to get a "normal" lens much like the 50 mm lens was standard on the old 35 mm film cameras of old. Are there aftermarket lenses available that are good quality that will work with the K-P3 II and compatible with auto focus? I would appreciate any input or recommendations you have on the Pentax K-3 II that might meet my uses and any lens or lenses I should get. I most likely can't afford more than 1 lens to initially, but hope to add to that over time.

I like the idea of a view finder as sometimes the display screens get washed out in sunny or well lit areas. Is the view finder on the K-3 II optical pr electronic?

I was hoping that I might be able to use the Olympus OM series Zuiko lenses that I have if that is possible. I'm sure that I would need an adapter to make them fit if such adapters are available. If adapters are available I assume that the camera would need to be used in a manual focus method. In particular if you have any knowledge or experience with the compatibility of older Olympus OM series Zuiko lenses with use or compatibility with the K-3 II, I would love to hear your thoughts. Last edited by Blackwolfe; 05-18-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Last edited by Blackwolfe; 05-18-2017 at 05:50 PM.

05-22-2017, 01:17 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Blackwolfe, and welcome to the Pentax forums. I cannot help you with your questions, but somebody here will know.
Good to have you aboard.
05-22-2017, 04:30 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome

are you from the UP or the LP of Michigan??? Either way, lots of beautiful country up there

If I were you I would go the top of the page and check out the items under "Cameras", "Lenses" and "Articles", lots of stuff there to help educate you on making your choice of camera and lenses.

this tool, which I set up to compare the K 3 II, the K 3 and the K 5 II, can be found there along with other good stuffl

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-5 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

once you have narrowed your choices, check out the market place under "Buy/Sell". I have bought equipment from fellow forum members through the market place and have been very satisfied with my "bargains"

lots of knowledgeable and friendly members here, don't hesitate to ask questions
05-22-2017, 05:15 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I know nothing about mounting Oly lenses on Pentax, I'm sure someone here will.

05-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have the K-3II. It does very well.
05-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Welcome

are you from the UP or the LP of Michigan??? Either way, lots of beautiful country up there

If I were you I would go the top of the page and check out the items under "Cameras", "Lenses" and "Articles", lots of stuff there to help educate you on making your choice of camera and lenses.

this tool, which I set up to compare the K 3 II, the K 3 and the K 5 II, can be found there along with other good stuffl

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-5 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

once you have narrowed your choices, check out the market place under "Buy/Sell". I have bought equipment from fellow forum members through the market place and have been very satisfied with my "bargains"

lots of knowledgeable and friendly members here, don't hesitate to ask questions
SW lower Michigan, across the big pond from Chicago.

What part of Kansas, I have ties to mostly NW Kansas.

Thank you for the welcome everyone.
05-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blackwolfe Quote
SW lower Michigan, across the big pond from Chicago.

What part of Kansas, I have ties to mostly NW Kansas.

Thank you for the welcome everyone.
originally East Central Illinois, then Iowa now Kansas - Topeka

05-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
originally East Central Illinois, then Iowa now Kansas - Topeka
slyfox
I have a cousin in Topeka, I think.

Thinking of getting K-3II and lens. Recomendations? - PentaxForums.com
05-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
smf
Pentaxian

Welcome and best wishes.

You are invited to join the Michigan social group here at Pentaxforums. Michigan Pentaxians - PentaxForums.com

Also, registration is available online for the photo workshops to be held Aug. 5 at Seven Ponds Nature Center.
Information on speakers, topics and other details can be found at this link: HOME
Carpooling is recommended.
05-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're shooting a fixed subject, like the feeders, a manual focus lens has some advantages. You can focus, then just trigger even with a remote. A tripod will be needed for that, of course. You can even just leave your window open a little and use your house as a blind. At 40 feet, a 135mm manual telephoto or 200mm will give you a great view. Some of those you can even find used locally, estate sales etc. often have values.

I bought the K3II for the built-in GPS and a resolution bump from my K5. I do field macro photography, but will shoot anything that I see.

A K3II won't let you down, it's an outstanding piece of kit.