Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2017, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #1

Long time Pentaxian, new to forum

Hello all, my name is Sean from southern California.

My dad gave me my first SLR in college for an architectural photography course, circa 1997 - it was an old Spotmatic with a 35mm lens if I recall correctly. I got a D in the course but found that I really enjoyed photography!

After graduating college I dove into a more modern SLR (at the time) with the Pentax ZX-5N and kit lens. Gravitated towards landscape photography almost immediately and picked up the FA20-35 F4. This was my rig for a long time, always shooting Fuji transparency film. Great rig for landscape, and I still have it.

Eventually I added a 645n to the arsenal and a couple of the FA zooms (45-85 and 80-160). I was really excited about exploring medium format...but only got to go through a few rolls of film with it before the whole rig was stolen out of a storage unit

That was a major setback for me and the recession definitely limited my photography spending for a while as well. I gravitated towards much smaller camera gear and have shot the Panasonic Lumix LX-3 since about 2009. Great little landscape-friendly camera, but limited in certain areas and getting very long in the tooth these days.

So I am about to click 'buy' on a K-1. Very excited to jump back into more serious photography. I have borrowed, rented and played with many other brands but this will be my first DSLR, and it had to be a Pentax!

Still figuring out my plans for lenses on the K-1...curious to see how the FA 20-35 will do for me. Pentax Forums has been a great resource in this regard over the past couple weeks. Even though I am primarily a landscape guy, I really love the rendering of the FA 77 limited and am thinking about making that my first lens purchase. In recent years I have found that I like to stich landscape panos together and I am thinking the 77 might do a nice job there in addition to its obvious pedigree as a portrait lens.

Anyway, glad to be part of the community and very much looking forward to getting my hands on Pentax's current offerings. I'll come back and post a few pics of my Pentax history.

06-08-2017, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #2

Welcome to the forum. Great choice for your first dslr.
06-08-2017, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Sean,

Welome to the forums.

As you've been around here before you know there's plenty of info on the K-1 and lenses, but if you get stuck and the search engine isn't helping it doesn't hurt to ask as usually there's someone who can help find what you're after.

For example I can help with whether the FA77 would be a great lens to start with, including for landscapes. The answer is yes, and here's the proof: Post your Telephoto Landscapes! - PentaxForums.com

Enjoy your time here mate, I already know you'll love what the K-1 will do for you in the field.

Tas
06-08-2017, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Sean! Looking forward to seeing some of your images posted here.

06-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all and thanks Tas for that link - I have been searching quite a bit but had not seen that thread...excellent!
06-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums and good luck with the K-1 if you get it.
06-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #7
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Sean, and welcome to the Pentax forums and the lovely K-1 !! Good to have you aboard.
06-10-2017, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
My K-1 is on the way...woohoo! Until then, I'll attempt to post a pic or two from my old ZX-5N/FA 20-35 days.

Attached Images

Last edited by smeehan74; 06-10-2017 at 05:41 PM.
06-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
Jumping cholla, Joshua Tree National Park
Attached Images

06-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #10

Original Poster
Needles District, Canyonlands National Park
Attached Images

06-11-2017, 12:58 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, long may you continue to enjoy your K1.