Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #1

Hello from the Netherlands

Hello all,

I am an absolute beginner in this world. More and more I developed an interest in photography that exceeded getting everybody to smile when I took a holiday snapshot, and wanted to learn more about it. I figured a good and fun way to approach this was with an old non-electronic 35 mm film camera, where I would be forced to do (and learn) everything myself, without any technological help.

After doing some research I got the opportunity to buy a fully functioning Asahi Pentax SV (the one in the avatar picture ). I bought it because, as far as I understand, it is the last of the old Asahi Pentaxes (and maybe all classic SLR camera's?) that doesn't carry a battery, still operating fully mechanically and thus fitting my plan, while, as the last of the Asahi Pentax line, it dóes have all the improvements that were added to the design as the different models succeeded each other. And because it got great reviews in handling and build quality etc. Ánd because it's just an enchantingly beautiful, charming piece of machinery to begin with.

I love it and shooting with it, and am now in the process of gathering and sucking up as much information about this specific camera and photography in general, and putting it into practice. I am sure this forum can make a great contribution to all of this, and I hope in time I can return the favor.

Nice to be here!

06-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to both the forum and your photography the Pentax way.
06-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Garrett, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you aboard.
06-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums.

06-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Chicago!

Ah, the simpler times of mechanical cameras. Well, maybe not simpler...