Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Greetings from The Netherlands...

Hi all, hesitated a bit before joining this community but I think my Pentax is here to stay and I'm quite sure I'll have a bunch of questions soon.

My "photo history" is a bit complex I'm afraid. Got seriously interested in photography while testing... smartphone cameras. I wrote a lot about those, SmartCamClub is my site that started as "PureViewClub" earlier. After shooting with a growing number of smartphones cameras (the Nokia N95 8GB made me forget about my compact...) I was blown away by the announcement of the Nokia 808 PureView in 2012. I started the website and from then I was only checking its quality against that of other smartphone cameras. Of course, the 41MP sensor of Nokia's brilliant flagship camera has been leading the pack for a long time.

Now it's been a few years since I started the club. Differences between high-end smartphones have become marginal - not that they're all as good, but most are perfectly capable of shooting great shots. Two years ago I bought my first system camera to see how it would influence my photography, and I was blown away by DOF, contrast, etc on my Samsung NX1000. I discovered a new adventure so to say. I went on, got the NX300, NX500 and collected a few lenses as well. Then Samsung decided to leave the market - I was disappointed, but I saw chances too. By the end of 2015 I bought the best system camera Samsung ever produced - and its best lens - for half the price. Been happy with that since - and collecting other bodies and lenses.

Recently though - always looking for new possibilities - I found an older, but still literally brand new Pentax K-5 which I could buy for a bargain (that's what I though at least, including the kit lens) - my first shot was the sixth fired with it, I was more than happy to update the software from version 1. My first DSLR appeared to be a lot lighter than the NX1 and working with DSLR is a new ballgame it appears, even on the same APS-C size sensor I've been used to for years now (what a luxury compared to smartphone sensors...). I feels different, the results I'm getting from it are different and I'm loving it.

Anyway, I'm on a crossroad it seems. Can't part from Samsung great NX1 just yet, but I feel I'm much more tempted using the new device (which makes sense, of course). I got it with the 18-55m kitlens and (a bit too) instantly bought the standard 50-200mm WR zoom as well. Now, I'm looking for other lenses, of course.

Would it be okay to ask my first question here right away? I bought the 50mm f/1.8 already and although its build is on the cheap side, I really like the quality. However, I just found someone offering a 40mm f/2.8 DA limited for a similar amount of money (around €150)

Now the question is: would you prefer the 40mm f/2.8 DA limited over the 50mm f/1.8? And if so, would it be wise to invest a bit more and go for the 40mm f/2.8 DA HD?

Thank you for reading all this and looking forward to your reactions :-)

Marc

06-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarcW Quote
Now the question is: would you prefer the 40mm f/2.8 DA limited over the 50mm f/1.8? And if so, would it be wise to invest a bit more and go for the 40mm f/2.8 DA HD?
I would go for the 40mm. The newer HD version is slightly better, but if you get a good deal on the SMC, don't shy away from it. The DA 50mm has its place as a solid budget lens, but the AF is so loud that I don't favor it- plus you get quick shift manual focus with the 40mm, which IMO is a must-have these days.

As for other lenses for the future, the DA 18-135mm or 16-85mm (especially) will yield better image quality and more convenience than the standard kit lens. The DA 55-300mm telephoto lens is also a solid, affordable choice. Just note that you'll want the older F4-5.8 version in either SMC or HD (which also has weather sealing), not the new F4.5-6.3 PLM, because the latter has a new aperture system which is not supported by the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy it. Join the Pancake Club. You'll love it.
My first pancake was a real bargain - a DA21mm for $175. It's my favorite lens for many purposes and EVERYONE loves how it takes close, personal, informal portraits. I have since obtained the DA40 for a good price, and at one event not long ago I took both lenses, so I could swap for longer or closer shots. Most casual shots are with the 21, while for the presentations the extra reach of the 40 was useful.

The K5 is a true workhorse camera. Mine has been treated pretty poorly, being dropped and "thrown" a couple of times and it still performs perfectly. I have been much more careful with the K3II, mostly by learning some hard lessons with the K5.

Enjoy!
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
06-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Adam, thank you for your fast reply! I'm not so much bothered by the sound of the 50mm's AF to be honest. Sure, it's noisy, but I'm not in stealth mode myself in general. Most important is IQ for me and what I've seen from the results on this forum I think the 40mm is a stellar performer. Is it really that much better than the 50mm f/1.8?

06-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, what's all this this or that... get 'em both, feed your LBA.
06-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
Closed Account

Hi from Australia Marc, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.
06-27-2017, 12:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome guys . Kerrowdown, I'd love to, but I don't have unlimited resources (no idea what LBA is either :-)

06-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by MarcW Quote
no idea what LBA is either
LBA = Lens Buying Addiction
06-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

have you found these threads??

DA 16-85 WR,show us what it can do. - PentaxForums.com

DA 40 XS the "Flat Wonder Club" - PentaxForums.com

and have you gone up to the "Lenses" section above and looked at the details of the info offered on the different lenses?

I have the da - 40 xs as well as the SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 and the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR and others

I like them all

here is a nice article discussing the 35 mm, the 40 mm xs and the 40 mm limited

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/introd....html?src=lrdb

[ personally I really enjoy the looks I get when I switch the 40 mm xs with my HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED or vice versa ]

I picked up the 40 mm used from a forum member, if you are looking to buy equipment

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-13-2017 at 02:03 AM.
06-27-2017, 06:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And you will be susceptible to LBA when/if you start reading one of the specific lens type threads - my camera bag suffers from me reading the 400+ pages in the M lens thread
07-13-2017, 01:41 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks all, sorry for not getting back earlier. I skipped the deal on the 40mm pancake, seller "didn't have time" so he would just hand it over in the car without testing - not going there. Meanwhile, I found an interesting deal on the famous SMC Pentax DA 70mm f/2.4 which I couldn't resist (€329). I do wonder if it's that much better than my 50mm f/1.8 for which I paid less than half.. Any thoughts?

I'm impressed with the build quality and the first shots are quite amazing (will share some later), but I'm not sure if it's worth the investment. On the other hand, I don't think €329 is too much for a lens like this. It's quite impossible to find it new here in NL and I simply can't afford the new HD version...
07-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a good cost, and it's certainly the least common of the pancakes. 70mm makes it a telephoto - an absurdly tiny telephoto - but great for casual portraits and probably a nice "mood" lens for intimate landscapes etc. I'd buy it. Keep an eye open for a DA21mm, you'll love that one once you have it. It's probably my favorite lens aside from the FA100mm f2.8 macro, which is nearly glued to my camera during insect season...

I've traveled recently taking just the 21 and 40mm, though I'd certainly throw the 70mm in the bag if I ever get one.

I think it's a different lens from the 50mm. Not as fast, much tighter, but the rendering on the pancakes is special. It would make for some interesting comparisons.

One of these years I'll make it back to Holland, I enjoyed it there when I spent a couple weeks there a long time ago.
07-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for your reply. However, I decided to send the 70mm back today... Yes it's definitely a great lens, but to me (!) and at this moment in time (!) not worth twice what I paid for the faster 50mm... I'm on a tight budget and have to be extremely critical I'm afraid. Love doing portraits, but the 50mm isn't that bad doing portraits either - and there's so much more I love to do. Moreover, I feel quite sure I'll come across another 70mm once.

I'm really running around lenses these days. Today I picked up the Sigma 18-300mm - completely different ballgame - to see if it will be nice during our upcoming holiday in France (and being too lazy to keep changing lenses). I can test it for a few days and if I decide to keep it, I can swap it for the Pentax 50-200mm WR I bought at the same store. Have both, so I can start comparing their output. Acting like if I have nothing else to do this weekend.

The 18-300mm is quite a lens I must say, looking forward to see what it will be able to get from it. Will keep you posted! :-)

Last edited by MarcW; 07-14-2017 at 01:22 PM.
07-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The superzoom lenses are perfect for tourist/holiday situations. I like the 18-135 for this use. It's convenient.