Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Redmond, Washington

Hi,
Hope I have found a place on the internet highway that help me 're-learn' everything I have forgotten. Pentax has always been my camera of choice, until all my equipment was stolen years ago. I was a freelance photo-journalist for 35 years, mostly black/white, developed my own for newspapers.
This new K20D is amazing, but wow...what a learning curve. DOF is a problem right now but hopefully someone can help. The lens I will be using is the 18/250 wide/zoom, and zoomed shots are great.
Hope there are some 'guru's here that can walk me through this amazing new machine.

08-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Patti !!! You'll find find this a very friendly and helpful forum. I know I have learned a lot here. And since you're already experienced, I am sure everything will come back to you in a jiffy !!
08-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum Patti. Hope you had a chance to catch the great sunsets we've been having the last couple of days. I've also got the 18-250. DOF isn't really a problem, but you'll have to stop down if it's two narrow. Try setting the camera on Av, set your aperture and let the camera calculate the shutter speed. The 18-250 isn't the fastest glass, so in some situations a tripod may be helpful as well as upping the ISO a tad. The sweet spot for my lens is around F8.
09-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi and thanks for the welcome
Finally got the lens and it is awesome. The bees in my yard are probably tired of me by now.
I missed the sunsets because we are behind a mountain, so unless I jump in my gas guzzler,
I miss out.
Looking around here for posting of a few photos, but haven't found where you can upload. I will,
just probably haven't looked hard enough. Have a bee stopped in flight. I think it's cool. No tp, just holding a very heavy camera, so am amazed at the clarity.

09-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. There are three main options for displaying your pictures here:
  • Users Photo Gallery
  • Attachment to a thread post
  • Link to a photo on the Web

Actual uploads either to the gallery or to attach to a thread result in the image being reprocessed by the forum's server. This causes some image degradation. As a result many users choose to avoid the gallery and attachment mechanism.

It is better to link to a photo on the Web. This can either be an image on your personal Web site or at one of the many photo hosting services. To do this, you either create a new thread or reply on an existing thread. There is an icon on the toolbar with a mountain. The is the one that allows you to paste in the path (URL) to your picture.

The only restriction that I am aware of for linked images is that they be no more than 800 pixels on the long axis. There is also the unspoken rule that nudes or objectionable content may be disallowed at the discretion of the site owners.

So, enjoy! I am looking forward to seeing your stuff!

Steve
09-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Patti, I can't welcome you until you do me a favour - find out who wrote the networking apps for Windows and then punch them in the face .

Welcome to the board, though, seriously.

Although you can attach photos directly to posts, it's best you don't attach multiple photos to posts, because it ends up widening the page to a ridiculous degree.

Grab a Photobucket account - I've been using them for ages - or use your own website or the gallery. ImageShack doesn't work half the time, and flickr's images are just too small (plus you have to put up with the idiots that inhabit flickr.)
03-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK.//I'm back. Just almost half a year, but still here (trying to get my new 'toy' to do it's thing.
Husband isn't happy with the results ("it should be sharper")......oh well.
I am finding that if I just leave the 18-250 doing it's own thing, the results are fine. But, the focusing on nature isn't working for me. The lens wants to focus on anything besides what I want. Am using the manual option more than I would like.
Now looking for a good lens that will take GOOD AND CLEAR pics of nature. Anyone have any great ideas that won't break my wallet?
03-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Gallery to critique (please)

Here is my gallery...

Broad shoulders and need critique......18-250 lens on all pics.
Some on a tripod, and of course I didn't keep the details....duh!

Love nature, so don't get too bored with the birds and bees.

03-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patti Quote
Here is my gallery...

Broad shoulders and need critique......18-250 lens on all pics.
Some on a tripod, and of course I didn't keep the details....duh!

Love nature, so don't get too bored with the birds and bees.
oops....sorry

MobileMe Gallery