Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2017, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from Ron in New Mexico

Hello,

Just a quick post to say hi! A short bio...I'm a retired NM state govt. photographer and former exhibit designer for 'nmspacemuseum.org'.
A quick background - US Navy Photographer 1971-75, B.A. Fine Art Photography from New Mexico State University 1981, grad school from 1990-91. Newspaper photographer/writer for 19 years then college photography teacher for a couple of years, then 23 years at the New Mexico Museum of Space History, Alamogordo, NM.. Now retired and working as a sub teacher and playing trombone and directing a jazz band at 'flickingercenter.com'. Keeping busy..

Been a Pentax fan since high school in the mid '60s. Yep! I'm old (63). Been very active in fine art photography and in the late '80s I worked as a custom black and white edition printer in a lab in Santa Fe, NM, where I used to print custom prints for (name dropping time), Paul Caponigro, Eliot Porter etc.. A great job. FIne Art photography is my thing and have had working in loads of shows, publications (including twice in American Photo) etc.

Glad to be here!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-06-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Personal link removed.
07-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Ron
Welcome to the forum. Interesting bio!
I have edited your post to comply with our personal links rules - I've edited your signature and placed your link there.
Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)
07-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Ron, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.
07-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

always nice to say hi to a new forum member

especially one who likes jazz and plays the trombone

trombones are cool.

07-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
07-07-2017, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Ron - welcome from the UK! You're not old - I've got a year on you and I'm not old! 😜
07-07-2017, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Ron
Welcome to the forum. Interesting bio!
I have edited your post to comply with our personal links rules - I've edited your signature and placed your link there.
Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)
Thanks Mark!

---------- Post added 07-07-17 at 09:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Hi Ron - welcome from the UK! You're not old - I've got a year on you and I'm not old! 😜
Thanks for cheering me up!

---------- Post added 07-07-17 at 09:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from Australia Ron, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.
Thanks, glad to be aboard! Cheers!!!

---------- Post added 07-07-17 at 09:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
always nice to say hi to a new forum member

especially one who likes jazz and plays the trombone

trombones are cool.
Thanks. Appreciate the compliment. Love playing the tbone. Been doing it since 1963! Gonna keep doing it till I get it right.

07-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome!
07-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hello from not very far away. I'm just down the road in Mesilla!
07-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ronthejazzguy Quote

Thanks. Appreciate the compliment. Love playing the tbone. Been doing it since 1963! Gonna keep doing it till I get it right.

I stopped after HS

however, the kid (who is getting married on the 29th ) picked it up and did very well in his HS band and Jazz band

his fiancé plays multiple instruments: piano, clarinet, oboe, and Sousaphone
07-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard.

Just be warned that there are some moderators here who think that bagpipes make music. So just let them continue thinking that and you should do okay.

You are the second former Navy photographer who has joined in the last few days. Did you go to school at Pensacola NAS? When I worked for Kodak I went there once in the late 1980's to look at some of their equipment. They had a periscope there for training people to repair them. It stuck out of the roof of the building allowed them to scan a portion of Pensacola Bay, including some beaches that people thought were private. I always enjoyed going to visit military bases. There were some really good photographers and photo techs working there. And the processors were so clean.

FWIW, I am 66 so you are still just a young whippersnapper.
07-08-2017, 11:38 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ronthejazzguy Quote
Ron in New Mexico
Welcome to the forum, looking forward to bumping into you around the place.

You have a great wealth of knowledge to bring to the forum, we know now who to send the difficult questions to.
07-09-2017, 02:32 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Welcome aboard.

Just be warned that there are some moderators here who think that bagpipes make music. . . . . .

bagpipes make beautiful music
07-09-2017, 06:08 AM   #14

Hello Ron,

I don't think I never talk to a governor before or even a formally a governor. As a matter a fact.

I'm glad to see you here. As you can tell I'm new here as well. I also been a fan of film for many years to.

Do you have a favorite type of format you like to use? I always used the small format. Then one day a family member gives me a homemade pinhole camera? Boy what a learning curve that was.

Hippir

---------- Post added 07-09-17 at 06:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hippie_2000 Quote
Hello Ron,

I don't think I never talk to a governor before or even a formally a governor. As a matter a fact.

I'm glad to see you here. As you can tell I'm new here as well. I also been a fan of film for many years to.

Do you have a favorite type of format you like to use? I always used the small format. Then one day a family member gives me a homemade pinhole camera? Boy what a learning curve that was.

Hippir
Sorry typo
Hippie
07-10-2017, 07:57 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to the forums.
Thanks. Now that I'm retired I'll have time to devote to this great resource for Pentax fans. Glad to be here.