Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2017, 05:51 AM   #1

Film camera nut in Wisconsin

Well let's start off by saying hello. Everyone that knows me calls me Hippie. They use it like my real name, but it's not. They just use it like it is.

Now for the bad news. I'm a Minolta collector. Had to get that out way. So when it comes up I get beat up. Hahaha...

Now the good news I own a real nice looking but not perfect 1988 Hong Kong Pentax K1000. I just picked it up yesterday for a song. At a local bookstore rummage sale. The camera did not come alone. It came with a ton of items. It does need some new light seals, some lube and a deep inside and out cleaning. And that will be sent in to the repair shop in Madison Wisconsin. After I shoot the first roll colour and a roll of black & white film. To see how it performs.

So I do own a Pentax, Now.... Well I do have this other one. That has been packed away since the 1980's. I don't know the model of it anymore. But what I can tell you that it is from the late 1950's to early 1960's. One day I will dig it out. The only thing I remember about that one. Is that the shutter likes to stick open.

Now back to me, that was enough digressing.

I shoot film and only film. I'm not a fan of the digital camera. Yes I do own 2 AF cameras, but they use film so they count. But the rest of mine are all manual cameras. Just like the Pentax K1000.

Besides shooting photos of the family. I do a lot of landscapes and wildlife photos. Also I like to play with other areas to show what a film camera can do. Like time lapse, douple exposed and so on. The kids think that stuff is real neat. And it gets them suck into the film world.

Take my 4 year granddaughter for exsample. She take my 1974 Minolta SRT 101 and take awesome photos. Provided it is on a tripod and set to her height. The camera just a bit to heavy for her tiny hands.

So it goes to show even kids like taking photos.

Well I guess that is all for now. Want to ask me someting go right ahead and ask.

07-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, many film users only here, so you'll fit right in.
07-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome,
I have an Minolta X-700 here, the owner wanted it checked out and I fear she does not care whether she gets it back!

Last year I took the Pentax MX on a Milwaukee trip and I took some of down town area but not processed yet.

Perhaps you can find a Repo-s for the kids?
I don't have a half frame camera. The M4/3 was ( and still is) easier for the kids here to hold than a 35mm
07-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums. Many of us here are a bit older than in the typical camera forum.
We remember how well "old tech" worked, and still enjoy using Pentax (and other) film cameras.
Be sure to visit and participate in our various film related forums.

BTW I'm glad to hear there is a repair shop in Madison (Where else?) still servicing film cameras.

Chris

07-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

Phil.
07-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Welcome to Pentax Forums. Many of us here are a bit older than in the typical camera forum.
We remember how well "old tech" worked, and still enjoy using Pentax (and other) film cameras.
Be sure to visit and participate in our various film related forums.

BTW I'm glad to hear there is a repair shop in Madison (Where else?) still servicing film cameras.

Chris
I don't know if I can name a business here or not. But if you want the name and address of the camera repair shop. Drop a note in my inbox and I make sure you get it.

Also there is a complete camera repair shop in California to. I used them when the Madison location is overbooked. Oh one more thing they both repair lenses as well.
07-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For Pentax service I am quite happy with the work of forum favorite Eric Hendrickson http://pentaxs.com

I am however still looking for his counterpart for classic Nikon manual focus gear...

Chris

07-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
Closed Account

Hi from Australia Hippie, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you aboard.
07-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from Australia Hippie, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you aboard.
Hey thanks for the welcome
07-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from South of the Border!

I grew up using my Dad's fully-manual Minolta. I researched his lenses recently - quality stuff. He got an adapter for his Sony Alpha series, I don't know how much he uses them.
07-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome from South of the Border!

I grew up using my Dad's fully-manual Minolta. I researched his lenses recently - quality stuff. He got an adapter for his Sony Alpha series, I don't know how much he uses them.
I been wanting to get one of them. But i really don't need it. I just want to have I guess.
07-11-2017, 05:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

His isn't a high-end Alpha, so it's not really convenient for manual use. Though I'm sure once you have it set up it's not bad.
My wife still has her old '80s Minolta, but the body got water damaged. No great glass, but I have plenty of negatives to scan eventually.
07-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome Hippie

Other than Pentax I have a soft spot for Minolta, they had just a good system and lenses and that "artistic look" of the world that Pentax also has, I think, in the film days. I used to have a Minolta XG-M and a few lenses but sold them because I couldn't really afford two systems and I wanted a wider lens for my Pentax. But I'd love to get me some Minolta stuff again someday, it was a pleasure to use and I loved the results. Just like I love the results I get with my Pentax gear as well